Schools

srisatch

Well if you are not interested in Money..viz.thread !!

What do you know/think about this?

Her Indoors ,who of course is over educated, believes that International Schools are THE THING. Old man having looked at Prospectuses etc thinks both International Schools and all those UK outfits trying to open colonies in LOS ie Shrewsbury, Harrow, Dulwich etc, are LOC, load of crap to you!...If that is what you want go back to the UK....BUT..she also is of view that Thais know in BKK/CNX where to send their kids to good schools that then lead on to Chula/Tammasat/Rangsit... not cheap but clearly Ivy League of LOS...and thus on to decent employment /opportunities...Anyone know anything?

Follow the money. Where do the super rich send their kids? Overseas. Where do the very rich send their kids. Int'l schools. See the pattern. It's all based on what they can afford. The end result will vary greatly as the students come out of the Tham,Chula univ. they get the gravy and it filters down from there.

A Secondary education at a mid level International School in Thailand is infinitely better than anything available at a Thai school.

Similarly a Degree from an Overseas University will be worth much more than one from Chula / Thammasat - the only advantage of the 2 top Thai Universities is the local social cachet and the "networking" within the local community.

Patrick

Sure..but

We are neither Super-rich, nor Very Rich and unfortunately not Unusually Rich.

And where do they send their kids abroad?-English so-called Public Schools..like the outfits opening here....I suppose what we are trying to get at is: What is good for farang 'luk kreungs' ?. I have some hazy idea that I want the kid to have the best of being Thai and the best of being a Brit...how schools are going to contribute to this I dunno...Universities..oh sure go home and get a degree..but we are 15 years away from that!... It would be a funny thing if having gone to all the trouble to get to live in LOS, it was having the kid that sent us 'home'!

To be honest, I wouldn't recommend either of those, simply from what I've heard people who worked there saying- not about the *teachers*, but about the students and the schools themselves.

If you don't have money for schools abroad, can you at least afford the "holy" International Schools like Harrow, etc.? They'd be at least a cut above Assumption et al in terms of the administration- and less prejudice against the luk kreung, which sadly will still be there in almost all Thai schools.

"Steven"

If you cant get into the real international schools or the semi international schools - how about putting them into an English Program in one of the Assumption, Bangkok Christian type schools?

Its not the 'getting them in' issue. Well I suppose not. Its do we want to?...Christian Schools? Dear Lord! We lived next to that one in Bangkapi for a while. Funny thing this about wealthy born again Thais isn't it? Anyway the Old Man was a vicar which is probably why I am shacked up in LOS!