How Do You Marry A Thai Lady

My experience involved the British embassy but I would think the American would be similar.

Day 1 - Prepare your affirmation of freedom to marry and lodge it at the embassy

Day 2 - Collect the certified affirmation and have it translated in to Thai. Go to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Laksi and have the translation authorised. Pay for the same-day service. When I did it it was 800 baht.

Day 3 - Get married. You can do so at any amphur (district office).

There shouldn't be any difficulties.

Scouse.

After which your difficulties start. :o

At American Citizen Services Unit office, next door to Consulate in the old Embassy building you obtain a form and fill it out, pay notary fee and wait for it to be typed up. Then the same procedure as Scouser but you might have translation agency take care of the registration at MFA as it is way outside of downtown area. Whole process can be done in one day with an agency help but would plan on two to three for DIY.

Now what? Do you live here for take wife somewhere else. If take her you will need immigrant visa to US and that will the long delay (many months).

After which your difficulties start. :o

At American Citizen Services Unit office, next door to Consulate in the old Embassy building you obtain a form and fill it out, pay notary fee and wait for it to be typed up.  Then the same procedure as Scouser but you might have translation agency take care of the registration at MFA as it is way outside of downtown area.  Whole process can be done in one day with an agency help but would plan on two to three for DIY.

Now what?  Do you live here for take wife somewhere else.  If take her you will need immigrant visa to US and that will the long delay (many months).

My experience involved the British embassy but I would think the American would be similar.

Day 1 - Prepare your affirmation of freedom to marry and lodge it at the embassy

Day 2 - Collect the certified affirmation and have it translated in to Thai. Go to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Laksi and have the translation authorised. Pay for the same-day service. When I did it it was 800 baht.

Day 3 - Get married. You can do so at any amphur (district office).

There shouldn't be any difficulties.

Scouse.

Just one thing more, when I got married in Kathu amphur I had to bring proof from my employer stating my salary translated to Thai, this was to prove that I could support a Thai wife, further 500 bath tea money. :o

Just one thing more, when I got married in Kathu amphur I had to bring proof from my employer stating my salary translated to Thai, this was to prove that I could support a Thai wife, further 500 bath tea money. :o

At least on the US form believe employment is one of the areas covered in the Embassy document. Perhaps if you have local employment they might want other proof? This is the first time it has been mentioned that I recall.

Edit: official requirements: http://www.dopa.go.th/English/servi/serv.htm

Marriage

Marriage Registration

Regulations

1. A couple must be of legal age (17 years) upon filing for marriage registration, otherwise permission must be granted by a court.

2. Permission from the parents is required for parties under legal age.

3. Both parties must not be registered as married to anyone else (Multiple marriage registration is prohibited).

4. The parties must not be direct blood relatives nor be sister or brother through either parent.

5. Adopting parents shall not be permitted to marry their own adopted child.

6. A widow or divorcee will be permitted to remarry not less than 310 days after the previous marriage has expired, unless

* Has given birth to a child.

* Remarrying the same person.

* Not pregnant, as certified by doctor. (in case of early remarriage)

* Approval to remarry from a court is obtained.

7. No service fee is required whatsoever.

Required Documents

1. Identification Cards of both parties.

2. The House Registration Certificates of both parties.

3. If an alien is registering to be married to a Thai citizen or another alien, he or she is required to submit following documents.

* A copy of their passport.

* A Letter of Certification, issued by an Embassy or Consulate or a Government Organization from their country, regarding the marital status of the person. The Letter must be translated, then certified by the relevant Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Procedures

1. Marriage registration can be filed at any District Office or Minor District Office nationwide regardless of the birthplace of the couple.

2. Once the marriage registration is completed, each party will be given a copy of the Marriage Registration Certificate as evidence.

3. If the marriage registration is filed at the District Office located in female's birthplace (where the name is registered on the House Registration Certificate), the title used with the forename and the last name of the female will be changed by the District Officer. The female is required to file for a new Identification Card within 60 days. A service fee of 10 baht is required. If the marriage is registered elsewhere, the female is required to contact the local District Office to change her name and last name, as well as filing for a new Identification Card.

4. If both parties are unable to file for marriage at any District Office of Minor District Office, the couple can submit a request to the Registrar to register their marriage at any location under the supervision of that District Office. The parties filing for marriage are required to provide transportation for the Registrar. A service fee of 200 baht is required.

Edited by lopburi3

If iam not totally lost i think that the female no longer has to change her name.

Tjipp

Although recent laws have changed the requirement to have husbands last name it is still the normal procedure and ID card will most likely have to be changed to reflect the new "Mrs." prefix in any case. One can not depend on web sites to be as current as CNN. :o

Just one thing more, when I got married in Kathu amphur I had to bring proof from my employer stating my salary translated to Thai, this was to prove that I could support a Thai wife, further 500 bath tea money. :D

I never needed that, I think that you were jipped.

If iam not totally lost i think that the female no longer has to change her name.

Tjipp

Although recent laws have changed the requirement to have husbands last name it is still the normal procedure and ID card will most likely have to be changed to reflect the new "Mrs." prefix in any case. One can not depend on web sites to be as current as CNN. :o

My wife's ID card has her maiden surname, not my surname, but it does state that she is married.

:o I plan to marry my Thai fiancee in April. I read US embassy post on things needed. Will someone that has gone through this process please explaine problems and the length of time required?

For your information:

Registration of marriage in Thailand can only be done at a District Office ("amphur"), which is similar to a town hall in your country.

Please note that a marriage ceremony performed in a church, or in a mosque, or a ceremony at home with monks attending the wedding is not legally binding in Thailand, - and therefore not legally binding in your country either.

In order for a foreign citizen to register marriage in Thailand, the Thai authorities request that your embassy issue a certificate in English and in Thai, which confirms your name, nationality, passport number, issuing passport authority, address in your home country, employer, position, and salary. Furthermore, names and age of children from previous relationships, if any. And finally, names and addresses of 2 contact persons (references) in your home country, who are not family members.

When you return to your home country after having registered your marriage in Thailand, you must inform the municipality in which you live about your marriage.

1. If you wish to marry in Thailand you should therefore contact the Embassy and bring the following original documents:

• Passport

• Health insurance card or other official documentation of your present address.

• Salary statement (the latest) or similar documentation of your income, for instance your pension statement or your yearly salary statement from your home country’s tax authorities.

• If you have previously been married, your divorce certificate. The certificate should be translated into Thai. Since the certificate must be legalised by the Embassy, we prefer that the translation is made by the Embassy or by a translation office recommended by the Embassy.

• Names and addresses (references) of two persons you know in your home country, who are not your family.

• Names and age of your children, if any.

• Certificate from your home country-municipality concerning notification of marriage.

Under normal circumstances, it takes two working days for the Embassy to issue a certificate for registration of marriage in Thailand. You will be charged a fee for the Embassy's assistance.

Alternatively and in order to save time, you may find it more convenient to forward copies of the documents to the Embassy beforehand, in order that the certificate and any translations are ready when you arrive in Thailand. Please note, however, that you must present all the original documents when coming to the Embassy to pick up your certificate for registration of marriage in Thailand.

2. You should bring the certificate to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs to be verified as a true document issued by the your embassy. The address of the Ministry is:

Legalisation Department of Consular Affairs

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Chaeng Wattana Road

(close to the Communications Authority of Thailand)

Bangkok

Tel: 02 575 1056/58

Fax: 02 575 1054

It usually takes a couple of days for the Ministry to verify a document. Please note that the Ministry will charge you a fee. Your embassy cannot assist you in having the certificate verified by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Since May 2003 it has been possible for foreigners to forward by mail documents for legalization directly to the Royal Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Legalization Division.

The procedure is as follows:

1. Contact the Mr. Adulsak Chobchaoychat, Legalisation Division at 02-575-1056/58 for more information or details of documents needed especially regarding the legalization fee.

2. Fill in a form “Application for Legalization”

3. Enclose a copy of your passport or power of attorney.

4. Enclose the document for legalization as well as 2 copies hereof.

5. Enclose a money order paid in THB to Laksi Post Office + THB 40 for the expense of return express mail by EMS.

6. State your telephone number and address in Thailand.

7. The legalization process normally takes 2 working days.

8. In case you do not have your own address in Thailand you can have the documents sent to your name + your embassy’s address.

9. Forward the documents to: Mr. Adulsak Chobchaoychat, 123 Department of Consular Affairs, Legalization Division, Chaeng Watthana Rd., Laksi District, Bangkok 10210.

3. When the certificate has been verified, you may register marriage at any District Office (amphur). The Embassy, however, usually recommends that you register marriage in Bangkok, or in another larger city, as the district offices in the cities are more familiar with the embassies' certificates. You do not need to make an appointment in advance with the district office.

The amphur will charge you a small fee for the registration of marriage. Please note that you might also have to pay a small fee to the two marriage witnesses, if they are provided by the amphur.

4. After your marriage you can go back to your embassy to have your Thai marriage certificate translated into English.

Good luck :D

Edited by hotshot

Once again will point out that this is a US citizen and they do not require all the paperwork that some others seem to want. You fill out the form and sign it in front of a consular official. That is it for Embassy involvement.

Once again will point out that this is a US citizen and they do not require all the paperwork that some others seem to want.  You fill out the form and sign it in front of a consular official.  That is it for Embassy involvement.

BUT.....The Amphur need ALL these informations!! :o:D Sad but true! He cannot just walk in and show his passport at the Amphur....... :D

Once again will point out that this is a US citizen and they do not require all the paperwork that some others seem to want.  You fill out the form and sign it in front of a consular official.  That is it for Embassy involvement.

BUT.....The Amphur need ALL these informations!! :o:D Sad but true! He cannot just walk in and show his passport at the Amphur....... :D

I married at Banglamung amphur in November 2003 and had to show no such documents to the amphur. I presented my passport and the affirmation as notarised by the Thai MFA. My wife showed her tabian bahn and ID card. Bingo!

Scouse.

Can anyone recommend a good agency to do the translation and take care of the MFA side? How much do they charge?

TIA

The embassy can assist you with the translation - they charge 500 Baht/page :o

Unfortunately not.

From British Embassy Website:

"Once the affirmation has been signed, you will need to have it translated into Thai. Please note that Consular Section does not undertake the preparation or translation of documents. Many reputable translation companies advertise on the internet as well as in the Thai local press. The Embassy is unable to recommend any particular firms."

We were married in Phayao and needed all the documentation, but it was painless. The manager of the Amphoe explained everything in very good English as we went through it.

Now for the Buddhist bit, I just smiled a lot....LOL

:o I plan to marry my Thai fiancee in April. I read US embassy post on things needed. Will someone that has gone through this process please explaine problems and the length of time required?

First, you should state your goal and status. If you are living in the US, and you want to bring her to the States as soon as possible, then you probably do not want to marry her in April. At least you probably do not want to have a registered marriage in April.

I was recently in this position. While living in Thailand for 16 months, I got engaged to a Thai woman. Then I moved to the States and got a job. So for me, my goal was to bring her to the States as fast as possible. The best solution was a Fiancé(e) Visa.

On August 6th, the USCIS received my I-129F Petition for Alien Fiancé(e). On November 19th, we had a Budhist ceremony and reception in Thailand. On January 19th, she arrived in the United States.

If this is the process you plan to go through, you can check out my somewhat complete blog here. US Fiancé(e) visa process.

There are different processes if you are living in Thailand and want to stay, or are living in Thailand and want to move to the US after you get married.

I am planning on marrying next month. :D

I understand the amphur registration thing, but we're planning on holding off on that for a little while.

My question is concerning the actual ceremony itself.

We're planning a traditional Thai wedding in my teeruk's village in Korat (actually about halfway between Nakhon Ratchasima and Khon Kaen).

I've never attended a village wedding before.

What can I expect? :o

What can I expect?  :D

A shock....LOL :D

Everyone on earth will show up, for a good drunk.

Smile a lot and keep your head lower than the elders, to show respect.

As for the ceremony, just go with the flow because probably no one will explain it to you until after it's well over. Have fun....

Now the important stuff.....

Have you talked to the parents yet??? If not have a long and serious talk with your intended and have her talk to them before you arrive. Because it is a bit intimidating to be negotiating a dowry with 20 people all trying to save face, like I did even after it was all prearranged. :o

Smile a lot and keep your head lower than the elders, to show respect. 

Have you talked to the parents yet???  If not have a long and serious talk with your intended and have her talk to them before you arrive.  Because it is a bit intimidating to be negotiating a dowry with 20 people all trying to save face, like I did even after it was all prearranged. :o

I'm 6'-2" tall... gonna be a bit difficult heeping my head lower than those elders :D

And, the dowry has been settled - no probs there. :D

I'm more curious in the ceremony itself. :D

And yes... I do intend to have fun! :D