30th Bangkok Motorshow

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suzuki has actual some very good surprise...

All the bikes I was talking about are actual on the booth and, sorry my Thai sucks, but what I understand from the only guy I can understand is that they have indeed plans to release then quicker then Early.....

The person I talked with was a marketing development person, somebody I know for longer then today. I asked him about the co-op of Suzuki and Kawasaki, and the comment that Kawasaki showed Suzuki the door.... That was something like a Japanese joke, with a response I could not really follow... But when the laughing stopped they asked me one thing, where did you hear thin nonsense, I needed to answer so from a BBS board.

So somebody seemingly much higher, who spoke English like he was from upper London, came to site with me ans explained that Suzuki and Kawasaki as equale partners decided to cancle the public linking between the two companies.

As the Suzuki ATV 400 series was highly popular in the US, Kawasaki was building indention ATV with models like the KFX400, which was based on a Kawasaki build Suzuki engine (basically identical to what is currently still used for a Suzuki DRZ400 motorcycle).

Kawasaki was of course asking for problems as they sold the KFX400 cheaper then the Suzuki LT Z400...

About the question who developed more about motorcycles in the last 20 years, Suzuki answered you know better Mr. Richardson, your dad was a great men. At this point things got vage, maybe sake kicked in I was getting tired.... The guy was way to young to know my father.

Who are the punters who can absorb the 213% duty on new import bikes? Let's hope someone will wake up and adjust to the new reality of a worldwide economic crisis. Opening up 250 cc is a start. Let's move to 400 cc. And m,aybe some 20% import duty on big bikes? All would benefit and the dark days of grey imports would end. Prohibition was bad economics, afterwards tax income increased...

post-7704-1238399110_thumb.jpg

And which 400cc motorcycles would that be? Which are not moving out of the market?

400cc is a bit a a lost child, it is between places, everybody love it but they seem to not want to take it. Especially if we look at current engine development, we can see new Fuel Injection engines overtaking the 400cc by storm, in being more cost efficient in purchase, fuel consumption and power delivery.

What is the future for a 400cc?

A mate was at the show today and sent me these pics of the best thing on display! However, zero Triumph staff in attendance to chat to about the beast.

Enjoy!

Theres a green one parked down a soi I have to go through a couple of times a week.. Low mounted (think its a) 2 bros pipe.. that shopped tail.. Looks beefy and raw. Looks so much better than before to have the low pipe IMO.

Put me in the camp that really like the speed and street triples.. VERY VERY much so.. Large cc naked fighter looking. Thats real bikes to me !!

Edited by LivinLOS

A mate was at the show today and sent me these pics of the best thing on display! However, zero Triumph staff in attendance to chat to about the beast.

Enjoy!

Nice bike, but I prefer the lines on my ER6N.

But why did they fit those yellow brake and clutch controls, and that silly little yellow top to the brake fluid reservoir?

Also why is it Kwaker make bikes in chonburi and can charge 225.. And Triumph make bikes in chonburi yet need 600 and up because of the 'tax' !!

Here's the story as it was explained to me by someone "in the know".

"When Triumph initially proposed to build factories in Thailand, they stuffed up with the BOI and did not get permission to sell in Thailand at a reduced rate to reflect that the bikes were not imported. Therefore, on paper at least, despite the fact that many of the bikes are made in Thailand, they have to be "exported" then "re-imported" and this attracts the tax that hikes the price up.

Triumph pricing for the Bonneville twin models in Thailand is a joke , the bikes sold in Thailand are made in Thailand although the engine is made in England and sent to Thailand so its a partially CKD for customs which means it would attract a higher rate of tax but not the full import duty that it is actually priced at 550,00 Baht double the price of same bike in UK.

My calculations based on Thai governments own BOI manufacturing rates for vehicle duties makes the retail price about 395,000 Baht being that the bike is 865cc .

The 3 cylinder models are built in Uk so they attract full import rates ,,,Kawasaki are building the ER6 under the same laws and regulations as Triumph so someone is taking the piss as Kawasaki are selling the ER6 for about the same price as in UK ."

Is that helpful LivinLOS? Just another case of TiT I guess... :o Happy Trails!

Tony

Also why is it Kwaker make bikes in chonburi and can charge 225.. And Triumph make bikes in chonburi yet need 600 and up because of the 'tax' !!

"When Triumph initially proposed to build factories in Thailand, they stuffed up with the BOI and did not get permission to sell in Thailand at a reduced rate to reflect that the bikes were not imported. Therefore, on paper at least, despite the fact that many of the bikes are made in Thailand, they have to be "exported" then "re-imported" and this attracts the tax that hikes the price up.

I was lead to believe it was a simple as they are either made 'in Thailand' or they are made in the 'free trade zone' aka the 'bonded factory' which is outside of Thailand for tax purposes.

Hence if one does it so should the other.. I didnt know there were 'grades' of bonded factory.. And different rates applicable to different manufacturers on the same cc sizes. Thats new to me.

The 3 cylinder models are built in Uk so they attract full import rates ,,,Kawasaki are building the ER6 under the same laws and regulations as Triumph so someone is taking the piss as Kawasaki are selling the ER6 for about the same price as in UK ."

Tony

Its only the triples that hold an interest to me.. Thought they were all made here with some componentised parts..

And which 400cc motorcycles would that be? Which are not moving out of the market?

400cc is a bit a a lost child, it is between places, everybody love it but they seem to not want to take it. Especially if we look at current engine development, we can see new Fuel Injection engines overtaking the 400cc by storm, in being more cost efficient in purchase, fuel consumption and power delivery.

What is the future for a 400cc?

Its probably the best off road/dual purpose market size in the world,

Scored a nice pair of Alpinestar SMX 5 road/track boots on sale at the Motor Show Dirtshop booth for only 6900 Baht! (The Paddock is asking close to 10,000 Baht for the same boots :o )

0406SMX5Alpinestars.jpg

Wore them on the ride home and man they are comfy! Can I bore you with some details?

• Durable, high-tech micro-fiber upper construction offering a high level of flexibility.
    • Double injected PU shields the shin, ankle, calf, toe and heel from impact while minimizing abrasion.
    • Inner protection is given by a double injected panel connected to the heel counter, hidden beneath the outer shell and running up the outer ankle.
    • Quick drying polyamide lining is laminated with open cell foam and high density contoured padding to absorb shocks to the foot area.
    • The S-MX 5 boot is CE certified.
    • Innovative air vents at the ankle, heel and forefoot are covered with a specially designed mesh to provide unmatched levels of rider comfort.
    • Large ‘throat’ profile instep and Achilles flex bellows for superior flex and comfort.
    • MTP mesh liner and anatomical, removable, PU Foam foot bed keeps the foot cool and comfortable.
    • A fully vented version is also available in Black.
    • Innovative inner (medial) side entry opening/closure system that features an elastic mounted zipper with an extra wide Velcro® flap, to give a precise, comfortable fit and wide opening aperture for ease of access.
    • Highly ergonomic, lasting for ultra precise fit.
    • Exclusive compound rubber sole features structured shank reinforcement for added support to the arch area.
    • Interchangeable bi-injected PU toe slider with snap-in assembly.

Triumph pricing for the Bonneville twin models in Thailand is a joke , the bikes sold in Thailand are made in Thailand although the engine is made in England and sent to Thailand so its a partially CKD for customs which means it would attract a higher rate of tax but not the full import duty that it is actually priced at 550,00 Baht double the price of same bike in UK.

My calculations based on Thai governments own BOI manufacturing rates for vehicle duties makes the retail price about 395,000 Baht being that the bike is 865cc .

Tony

Japan had a similar scenario with bikes over 250cc, anything over had to be exported and reimported as a "grey" and were a lot more money,funny old world innit,. :D

Enjoy!

No good for me, id spend a week trying to get a shine on that flat black ,. :o .trying to convert the harley riders are they :D

Tony

Japan had a similar scenario with bikes over 250cc, anything over had to be exported and reimported as a "grey" and were a lot more money,funny old world innit,. :D

Really? How long ago was that? I lived in Japan from '97-'06 and the prices of Japanese manufactured Big Bikes at that time were only about 20-30% more expensive than in the US. That was on account of the luxury tax and had nothing to do with any import duty. Only exceptions were Japanese bikes built outside of Japan, but even those are not so expensive. Take for example the Thai built Kawasaki ER6's. The 2009 ER6n retails in Japan for ¥777,000 Yen (~US$8600), the 2009 ER6f retails for ¥819,000 Yen (roughly US$9100).

These days the incredible strength of the Japanese Yen makes these prices seem high when converted into foreign currency. But in Japan these bikes are very competitively priced.

"chibi2_new.gifER6N 状況 09モデル カラー WHT BLK メーカー希望車両本体価格 ¥777,000- image40.gif 2009年3月上旬発売予定 09er-6n_wht.jpg

chibi2_new.gifER6F 状況 09モデル カラー BLK BUL メーカー希望車両本体価格 ¥819,000- image40.gif 2009年3月上旬発売予定 09er-6f_blu.jpg"

Happy Trails!

Tony

0406SMX5Alpinestars.jpg

dude, michael jackson been auctioning items at the bkk motor show??? hehehehe just being a jerk.... :D

you finally got full height protection now, well done :D

5555! I am the moonwalk master!!!

moonwalk.gif

LMAO! :D Yeah man- they're a bit on the bright side aren't they :o But they didn't have the black ones in my size... Anyway- when I wear them with jeans they're not nearly as gaudy and obnoxious :D Cheers! Tony

Tony

Really? How long ago was that? I lived in Japan from '97-'06 and the prices of Japanese manufactured Big Bikes at that time were only about 20-30% more expensive than in the US. That was on account of the luxury tax and had nothing to do with any import duty. Only exceptions were Japanese bikes built outside of Japan, but even those are not so expensive. Take for example the Thai built Kawasaki ER6's. The 2009 ER6n retails in Japan for ¥777,000 Yen (~US$8600), the 2009 ER6f retails for ¥819,000 Yen (roughly US$9100).

These days the incredible strength of the Japanese Yen makes these prices seem high when converted into foreign currency. But in Japan these bikes are very competitively priced.

"chibi2_new.gifER6N 状況 09モデル カラー WHT BLK メーカー希望車両本体価格 ¥777,000- image40.gif 2009年3月上旬発売予定 09er-6n_wht.jpg

chibi2_new.gifER6F 状況 09モデル カラー BLK BUL メーカー希望車両本体価格 ¥819,000- image40.gif 2009年3月上旬発売予定 09er-6f_blu.jpg"

Happy Trails!

Tony

Between 02 and 06 i imported 37 containers of trail bikes into the uk,all 250 or smaller, the bigger capacity bikes were always a lot more money and didnt have the margins we needed,the reasons we were told were what i posted,after 06 the exchange rate along with the uk closing a lot of the byways had us cease trading in these bikes,ive actually never never set foot in japan, and with the inflation/recession doubt i ever will ,i do know bike accesories there are a premium,.