30th Bangkok Motorshow

One thing we sure off is that APHonda is not showing of anything bigger then 110cc, with an exception of 2x 125cc of which one which one we already know of...

Big bikes, nothing, other that Honda has apparently imported 2 DN-01's into Thailand.

Kawasaki Thailand... Has some surprises, which, maybe are not so pleasant for early buyers of current 'bigger' machines.

Suzuki is a complete mystery....

Yamaha is trying to compensate the huge import duty they still paying from a country, which is not East of Us.... and will try anything to get you over the hill... Reportorially they even show a example of the new Thai Highway Petrol Motorcycle they sold to the Thai Highway police. The new highway petrol vehicle is a Yamaha FJR1300, which was basically selected for its fuel economics, with its extra police equipment loaded I bet that I can shake a highway petrol bike with a simple Kawasaki ER6N...

So what about the new 250cc engine displacement standard.... any news? I only hear that Sachs is the second to going into the 250cc market.... with a Sachs 250cc X-road

For weeks now I try to see what comes into the country of vehicles, and for the two wheel department it could be a terrible disappointment. No Honda 250cc from by air cargo or sea cargo.... I still hope they maybe using the new partly operational new Malaysian S-E Asian distribution, manufacturing and assembly facility. (But that would be very short notice for Honda, which never leaves anything to chance...)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yamaha introduced not so long ago the Yamaha Fino into India, which turned into a small marketing disaster.... It was published as a Yamaha Tino... not a Fino...

Interesting was that the whole introduction was delayed. Still maybe more errors where included into the ads. But the Yamaha Fino (Tino) was marketed as a 135cc water cooled engined power CVT bike..., this would be in line with the recently upgraded Yamaha Nouvo ... i that something we can expect??

Fill those of us in who are unable to attend the show...

Which 125cc is Honda going to start selling (the CBR 125i?)...

What "Has some surprises" does Kawasaki have? A cheap ZZR 600?

Oh, and as a side note, the Yamaha Fino is sold in the USA as the "Vino"...can't tell you how well it sells though, especially since it's the equivalent of 72 500THB for the 50cc model and 102 600THB for the 125cc.

Oh, and as a side note, the Yamaha Fino is sold in the USA as the "Vino"...can't tell you how well it sells though, especially since it's the equivalent of 72 500THB for the 50cc model and 102 600THB for the 125cc.

I don't expect any surprises from Kawasaki- they'll show off their current bikes plus upcoming models such as the ER6f ABS (Ninja 650R), Ninja ZX10R and KLR650 (which may or may not be sold in Thailand), They might display a Ninja ZX6 but no firm commitment to sell it in the near future. Oh, I hear there's a new Boss in the works- nothing to get excited about. :D

Also, due to insatiable demand, the Thai release of the ER6f has again been pushed back... :o They're now aiming for a November release date, are planning to offer ABS, and price will be "under 300,000 Baht" according to sources at Kawasaki.

Z750 ?? Z1000 ?? Tho it could be the ZX - Ninja branding at a price that appeals also.

Personally I think they could round out their brand a bit more by thinking KLR bigger touring models.. Seems like they have some road touring styles on the market but lack the powerful mixed use machine.

Z750 ?? Z1000 ?? Tho it could be the ZX - Ninja branding at a price that appeals also.

Personally I think they could round out their brand a bit more by thinking KLR bigger touring models.. Seems like they have some road touring styles on the market but lack the powerful mixed use machine.

Go ahead and bust the Honda fanboi's balls whilst he's down (dam_n you Honda, bring on the big bikes--and not the oversized Airblade!)....so I got the zx6's name wrong....so solly... :o:D

IF Kawasaki brought out a 400-600 bike that was more Transalp/Turono I'd be all over it, the ER-6* seems nice enough, but I'd want something just a bit more off-road capable and the ER-6* seems more a lite-off road/serious tourer.

IF Kawasaki brought out a 400-600 bike that was more Transalp/Turono I'd be all over it, the ER-6* seems nice enough, but I'd want something just a bit more off-road capable and the ER-6* seems more a lite-off road/serious tourer.

Depends what ground you have to cover.. I rode dirtbikes and crossers for years, more than my road riding I guess, but down here I would favor the ER6* over a dual sport. up north and with Laos on the doorstep that would be different I think.

I happened to see an advert for Pikeys XR400 being sold again.. Loads of farkles.. big bores and hot cams etc, both dirt and motard wheels.. and really thought "oh yeah" but I cant justify keep buying bikes. Tho again if I lived up north a multi bike quiver would be a stretch I would try to make to the budget.

Dave- you need to look up the Kawasaki KLR650. Made in Thailand, but not yet sold in Thailand- if you're looking for a dual sport bike with an amazing pedigree I think the KLR650 might be right up your alley. KLRs have been ridden to the Arctic, across North and South America, and throughout Europe, Africa, and Asia, as well as on full global circumnavigation rides. Check it out- quite an amazing bike and I there's a good chance they'll have one on display at the Bangkok Motor Show and maybe, just maybe, they'll finally start selling it in Thailand.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Dave- you need to look up the Kawasaki KLR650. Made in Thailand, but not yet sold in Thailand- if you're looking for a dual sport bike with an amazing pedigree I think the KLR650 might be right up your alley. KLRs have been ridden to the Arctic, across North and South America, and throughout Europe, Africa, and Asia, as well as on full global circumnavigation rides. Check it out- quite an amazing bike and I there's a good chance they'll have one on display at the Bangkok Motor Show and maybe, just maybe, they'll finally start selling it in Thailand.

Happy Trails!

Tony

I'll take it. List for 800 USD cheaper than the ER-6N on the US site. So crossing my fingers, it would be some 200 000 THB in Thailand. Looks sturdy enough to handle my shenanigans and not powerful enough to get me in a world of trouble. Also loving on the bannana seat....would help on any touring! Although there seems to be reports of turn signals falling off. :o

The KLR650 is a killer, all right. But most Thais would need a ladder to reach the seat.

I would like to see Honda enter at the cc levels where they do not compete head-on with the competition. Maybe a 400 sport touring bike semi-faired, a v-twin cruiser in its own cc range, the Silver Wing 500 max scooter, etc. But if any marque can meet the competition head-on, it is the big H.

Hi Dave_Boo,

You mix up a few things, the Yamaha Vino is sold in the USA in 50 and 125cc, the Vino is not the same scooter as a Yamaha Fino. Yes it is complicated, I have to agree that they both follow the retro-look, borrowed from the classic Vespa.

The Yamaha Fino introduced in India is identical scooter to the Thai model, with the exception that it seems to be powered by the same 135cc engine, which powers the Yamaha Nouvo Elegance.

About the 125cc Honda's I honest not know, I expect that one is the Sonic equipped with PGM-FI, second could be a CBR125... they are made in Thailand so possible (maybe not likely)

-------------

A Z1000 would be a horny machine, but its seriously overdue for a re-vamp, especially in the engine dept.

tony a couple of times you have mentioned the er6f is going to be offered with abs, obviously its an option and you will still be able to get a model without that option....yes/no?

Any one like the new Honda hornets?

Ive got the older model here in Bangkok - she flies wonderfully at 180 revs down ramkhamheang road

any other Hornet Lovers out there? i hear they are quite rare - ive only seen one up to now (Mine)

Any one like the new Honda hornets?

Ive got the older model here in Bangkok - she flies wonderfully at 180 revs down ramkhamheang road

any other Hornet Lovers out there? i hear they are quite rare - ive only seen one up to now (Mine)

600 and 900 hornets are superb machines.. Not seen any of them in the flesh and only an advert or two for sale..

I am sorta rolling my own.. Turning a 900 blade into a naked version the same as the 900 hornet is the blade sans fairings.

Honda Hornets are wicked cool bikes- basically naked CBRs. The petite owner of the Crossroads Bar in Mae Hong Song rides a Hornet 250. Trent fell promptly in love :o (with the bike or the girl??? :D )

That's the only Hornet I've seen in Thailand. They're super popular in Japan and I'm surprised I don't see more of them here in Thailand.

Honda%20Hornet%20900.jpg

Ok- this one is just slightly modified-

honda-hornet-600-matrix-img04.jpg

It is odd with so many other bikes coming from japan.. And the Thais love of Hondas.. The HUGE amount of CB400's running around on grey books.. That theres so few 600 or 900 hornets. Wonder how that happened ??

The post 07 (on 600) or 08 ?? (900) ones with the more modern front light setup.. To me thats a hot machine for Thailand, coupled with Honda reliability and ergonomics. Then again thats very much the style of ride that appeals to me, mid size, naked, just looks like I feel a road bike should look. I dont see myself as a track star and sportbikes just dont hit me the way they seem to appeal to most riders.

This morning I was told that Suzuki will show the Gladius SFV650 Gladius at the Bangkok Motorshow, you also find the Hayabusa and the Suzuki GSX-R 750 at the Suzuki booth in the BITEC Bangna Hall 106.

post-12170-1237777484_thumb.jpg

Edited by Richard-BKK

This morning I was told that Suzuki will show the Gladius SFV650 Gladius at the Bangkok Motorshow, you also find the Hayabusa and the Suzuki GSX-R 750 at the Suzuki booth in the BITEC Bangna Hall 106.

Strange that Suzuki will show off some bigger bikes at the Motorshow, since they have no plans to actually sell any in Thailand in the foreseeable future...

Tony......................or do they................maybe..........maybe not...........we will see very very soon

:o:D :D

Also nice to see the event is free. at least i think it must be as there is NO info about admission costs on the website.

Edited by thaicbr

It would be more weird if Suzuki, which is a major worldwide technological partner of Kawasaki worldwide, with the development of motorcycles and ATV's to not follow the same or similar strategy.

Ah Richard... Seems once again your information is a bit out of date...

The Kawasaki/Suzuki Alliance which was announced in 2001 and implemented in 2002 ended in 2006.

I'll direct you to the following 2005 Kawasaki press release:

The "alliance" announced in August 2001 between Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd., (KHI) and Suzuki Motor Corporation (SMC) will now focus on potential exchanges of indirect resources, rather than on direct OEM product exchanges. It was originally formed as a mechanism to allow sharing of parts sourcing, platform production of OEM units, and joint development of new products.

Following a successful three-year arrangement, both companies have considered factors related to sales volume, profitability, customer reaction, influence on brand image, and competitiveness of each OEM product. The two brands have jointly agreed that more focused, independent development activity will serve to further enhance their respective brand identities with their loyal customer bases.

This modification to the alliance relationship will mean that OEM product sales will be discontinued.

The alliance with SMC, and its benefits to our dealers, will be reviewed on a regular basis. Joint activity will be determined based on careful review of the effect it will have on both retail profitability and customer loyalty.

Now I know that English is not your first language Richard and there is a lot of nuance in the above press release, but if you are able to "read between the lines" you'll see that this press release is nothing more than a classic example of a "polite" Japanese "brush off". When Kawasaki says that they will now "focus on potential exchanges of indirect resources" they're basically showing Suzuki the door.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Edited by BigBikeBKK

He Tony,

I did not specify that any Kawasaki or Suzuki is using similar parts. Still, even today the both companies share technological know-how.

In 2001 until early 2003, you could find ATV's from Kawasaki and Suzuki which where identical to the last bolt or screw, with different colors and decals... but still identical.. Mainly the co-op with regard to the ATV's had ended...

Lucky we not have to wait long to see what will happen...