Jet Skis

looby

If you really MUST hire a jet ski whilst in Pattaya, please make sure that you take photos of the jet ski before you take it anywhere.

I would also suggest that you take photos when you return, so that if/when they falsely accuse you of damaging the jet ski, you will have proof of the condition of it originally.

I really would recommend that you save the pleasure for another resort/country.

This is one of the worst and most common scams in Thailand. Numerous stories of people being falsely accused of damaging jet skis have been told. Usually, involving the police to sort out these situations doesn't help at all, and people generally feel that the police are in cahoots with the sleaze bag operators as they collect a large portion of the money that has been scammed. We're not talking about small sums of money, either, but rather sums that easily get into the 10's of thousands of baht. Do yourself and others a favour by never renting these units. If we all stop giving business to these a**holes, they will go away and the beaches of Thailand will better places.

Edited by Beacher

And not just jet skis. Last time I was in country I hired a car to visit Korat.

Checked everything over and pointed out the bumps and scratches to the guy. When we got back he told us we had scratched all 4 alloys and wanted an extra days rental to cover the damage. Unfortunately I hadn't looked at the alloys before we left but if I had damaged them I'm sure I would have felt it while driving.

After a long arduous drive on Thai roads I couldn't be bothered arguing the point so I paid the money.

If you really MUST hire a jet ski whilst in Pattaya, please make sure that you take photos of the jet ski before you take it anywhere.

I would also suggest that you take photos when you return, so that if/when they falsely accuse you of damaging the jet ski, you will have proof of the condition of it originally.

I really would recommend that you save the pleasure for another resort/country.

My friend was scammed for a 9,000 Baht "damage" to a jet ski just 2 weeks ago.

My suggestion is - Dont Do It!!!

Or, if you really wanna go, ask if they are insured and ask to see their insurance papers.

According to Thai law they must have insurance on motorboats transported on the road (which jet skis are every day).

If they say "No have", then stay far away cause you can be pretty sure you will be scammed.

To make things worse, the police in Jomtien are in cahoots with the jet bike operators (or maybe they even own some of the jet bikes?). So no matter whether you are in the right or not, once the operator calls for the police to sort things out, you have lost already. :o

Used many times without issue though one tried to have one on with us. I basically told him to fk off and go try to con someone who doesnt know any better. He realized I wasn't going to pay him anything more and he sulked off. :o

thats the stuff .nice one britmaveric........i cant understand how they are getting away with this ...you think they would be glad to get customers let along then try to rip you off too........stay clear of these con artists and hit them where it hurts-in the pocket...then after a while they might appreciate getting the business........

i have seen the jet ski scam three times now, one nearly ended in fisticuffs, another occasion when the four arab lads went off with two of the jet ski lads i assume to go and get the money the police then sat at the back of the beach drinking beer with the remaining jet ski mafia.

apparentley this also happens with hired motorbikes

I have rented many M/Bikes and the occasional Jet Ski perhaps I have been lucky but I have never been pinched. I did how ever damage an R1 one time and had to pay for the repair. I have to admit whilst I was waiting for them to come up with a price I was sweating quite a bit but in the end what they asked was very reasonable by my home standards.

But I have been ripped for plenty of bar bills without a doubt.