2009 Formula One Season

Rubens is getting nasty flash backs from his Ferrari days driving for Schumi. It's all coming back to him again :)

Maybe he had understanding with Button that whoever gets ahead in first few laps can take the win. Drivers sometime do this to avoid too fierce overtaking situations with team mates. Or then he was just disappointed on his race engineer and to himself.

Concentrating soon to next year car is still an option. Maybe it did not work for BMW but it sure did work for Honda/Brawn. Now when money is tight i would seriously consider it. Both McLaren and Ferrari have admitted that they are now behind as they continued development last year to win championship while others started to develop this year cars several months earlier. But i guess it depends how much money you have and Ferrari and McLaren are the big spenders.

Anyways refreshing to see teams like Red Bull and Brawn winning after so many years of domination from big car manufacturers. Proves it's not all about money and makes it interesting. I just hope FIA is going to scrap those budget limits as it will drive too many teams out of the sport. Red Bull joined the others and annouced today that they are not going to participate in case the rules stay as they are now.

Ummm no, Honda obviously thought they had no chance after the 2008 season and left. Brawn thought he could make it work, and how right he was! Honda must be kicking themselves.

I can't believe anyone seriously thinks that Button and his race engineer decided strategy without Brawn being heavily involved - after all, Brawn is know as the strategic genius.

Otherwise, you might be right. It will be v difficult for McLaren to get back on top this season, but we are only 5 races in. Ferrari look as if they're headed in the right direction, but the reliability and competency are just not there at the moment.

Also agree that its good to see other teams beating the big guys this season, and I hope Red Bull will finally make it work v soon.

I think you may find that Honda were heavily involved with Ross Brawn and helping him financially right up to the start of the season even though they were using the Mercedes customer package, no new team is going to start the season and be so dominant unless they are very heavily sponsered, after all Brawn at the start had no logos or backers until Virgin, we all know or should know that if it was just about engines the Mclaren and Ferrari would still be fighting it out at the front.

Hamilton is really pissed off because he no longer has the best car and does a lot of complaining about it.

Sorry, I'm missing your point as Honda aren't even sponsors of Brawn (now), which makes it hard to believe that they thought the car had any chance.

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rubens is getting nasty flash backs from his Ferrari days driving for Schumi. It's all coming back to him again :)

Maybe he had understanding with Button that whoever gets ahead in first few laps can take the win. Drivers sometime do this to avoid too fierce overtaking situations with team mates. Or then he was just disappointed on his race engineer and to himself.

Concentrating soon to next year car is still an option. Maybe it did not work for BMW but it sure did work for Honda/Brawn. Now when money is tight i would seriously consider it. Both McLaren and Ferrari have admitted that they are now behind as they continued development last year to win championship while others started to develop this year cars several months earlier. But i guess it depends how much money you have and Ferrari and McLaren are the big spenders.

Anyways refreshing to see teams like Red Bull and Brawn winning after so many years of domination from big car manufacturers. Proves it's not all about money and makes it interesting. I just hope FIA is going to scrap those budget limits as it will drive too many teams out of the sport. Red Bull joined the others and annouced today that they are not going to participate in case the rules stay as they are now.

Ummm no, Honda obviously thought they had no chance after the 2008 season and left. Brawn thought he could make it work, and how right he was! Honda must be kicking themselves.

I can't believe anyone seriously thinks that Button and his race engineer decided strategy without Brawn being heavily involved - after all, Brawn is know as the strategic genius.

Otherwise, you might be right. It will be v difficult for McLaren to get back on top this season, but we are only 5 races in. Ferrari look as if they're headed in the right direction, but the reliability and competency are just not there at the moment.

Also agree that its good to see other teams beating the big guys this season, and I hope Red Bull will finally make it work v soon.

I think you may find that Honda were heavily involved with Ross Brawn and helping him financially right up to the start of the season even though they were using the Mercedes customer package, no new team is going to start the season and be so dominant unless they are very heavily sponsered, after all Brawn at the start had no logos or backers until Virgin, we all know or should know that if it was just about engines the Mclaren and Ferrari would still be fighting it out at the front.

Hamilton is really pissed off because he no longer has the best car and does a lot of complaining about it.

Sorry, I'm missing your point as Honda aren't even sponsors of Brawn (now), which makes it hard to believe that they thought the car had any chance.

Brawn has been quoted as saying that Honda gave a lot of financial support from last season to the start of this season with the car, the car was never going to be competative with any Honda engine but the new regs were already on the cards for this season and Brawn has never had the kind of money needed to bring a team to F1 he and J.B have both thanked Honda publicly on numerous occassions for their support.

If they thought the car had any chance why did they sell the team (just before it proved unbeatable) and why aren't they even sponsors?

Honda look v unfortunate now to everyone!

I would have thought that was pretty obvious as to why they aren't the current sponsers, why sponser a team using another engine {Honda do not produce an engine anymore} when the very reason they pulled out was of the cost with no tangible benefits from their car, they were paying the bills for Brawn to take over the team with the new Merc engine and they have jointly been developing the car for this year from last year, I cant believe you actually think that at the end of last season and the start of this one that Brawn bought the team negotiated a new deal with Merc and developed a race winning car.

Honda F1 was British, and under British law if they could not sell the Team or the Team did not race again the Drivers and all the staff would have to receive redundancy pay...

Forget the figures it was published last year, but it was more than Ross Brawn thought he could run the team for.

Honda did not have sponsors and there running cost were more than the other Teams... So Honda did the right thing..

This happens in a lot of Firms/Companies in the UK.... Not so long ago Rover was sold for 1 GBP

Good Spanish GP. I think the talk of RB being just number 2 driver at Brawn unfounded. RB lost the race as he didn't do enough to take advantage of his position. The switching of strategy by JB's team manager was a blinder and he deserved to win. A good finish for Red bull and MW as well. I think Ferrari need to have a re think of strategy. I was very surprised to see they are a lowly 7th in the manufacturers league. That has to be the worst start to the season ever. Normally the Spanish GP is more of a procession than a race but this year we actually had some good racing. I see the LH bashers are having a field day as well. He hasn't got the car he would like but am sure they will get it all together and have a late rally. It all should make for one of the best seasons yet. Unless you are a Ferrari man ha ha ha :):D

PS I watched the race on cable with the British commentary. What happened to James Allen? I always found him to be a good commentator. Knowledgeable and he knew his F1? Bring him back I say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Yep, Honda started to develop their this year car (which is Brawn GP car now) in the middle of last season spending loads of money and using 4 wind tunnels if i remember correctly. This decision and work was started long before Honda decided to quit F1.

Brawn has said that he did not want to own the team himself but as there was no other viable options the only way he had was to "buy" it himself. He could not miss the opportunity once he saw how good car they had developed with Honda and especially after they tested the car with mercedes engine. As per Brawn it fits perfectly to their car. He could have taken Ferrari engines with better deal (cheaper) but rejected as they did not work with the car as good as mercedes engines.

Price of the team was reportedly £1 and Honda still gave him loads of money to be able to operate the team this season. By doing this Honda still saved money as they avoided paying compensations etc for contract terminated too early etc etc that goes along with it.

Yep, Honda started to develop their this year car (which is Brawn GP car now) in the middle of last season spending loads of money and using 4 wind tunnels if i remember correctly. This decision and work was started long before Honda decided to quit F1.

Brawn has said that he did not want to own the team himself but as there was no other viable options the only way he had was to "buy" it himself. He could not miss the opportunity once he saw how good car they had developed with Honda and especially after they tested the car with mercedes engine. As per Brawn it fits perfectly to their car. He could have taken Ferrari engines with better deal (cheaper) but rejected as they did not work with the car as good as mercedes engines.

Price of the team was reportedly £1 and Honda still gave him loads of money to be able to operate the team this season. By doing this Honda still saved money as they avoided paying compensations etc for contract terminated too early etc etc that goes along with it.

MJo I thank you for confirming what I wrote but was not sure of the exact details but knew in essence I was right.

I think Honda's deciscion was more a financial one, and the Brawn car was one that Honda were developing last year albeit with a Honda engine. I believe as part of the agreement Honda still provide some backing this season.

PlanetF1.com are reporting Ferrari may quit F1 over the fund capping at the end of the current season.

PlanetF1.com are reporting Ferrari may quit F1 over the fund capping at the end of the current season.

Yes on many websites + it was also on the news channels, so that makes 4 that may quit F1 over the fund capping..

Toyota was 1st, then 2x Red Bull now this week Ferrari........... We will know on the 29th May.

The problem:

However, the FOTA teams think the two rules will create a two-tier championship in the sport, thus damaging F1’s image, and senior figures such as Williams’s Patrick Head believe the technical freedoms of running within the cap will be so great that squads outside it will never be able to bridge the gap.

Good Spanish GP. I think the talk of RB being just number 2 driver at Brawn unfounded. RB lost the race as he didn't do enough to take advantage of his position. The switching of strategy by JB's team manager was a blinder and he deserved to win. A good finish for Red bull and MW as well. I think Ferrari need to have a re think of strategy. I was very surprised to see they are a lowly 7th in the manufacturers league. That has to be the worst start to the season ever. Normally the Spanish GP is more of a procession than a race but this year we actually had some good racing. I see the LH bashers are having a field day as well. He hasn't got the car he would like but am sure they will get it all together and have a late rally. It all should make for one of the best seasons yet. Unless you are a Ferrari man ha ha ha :):D

PS I watched the race on cable with the British commentary. What happened to James Allen? I always found him to be a good commentator. Knowledgeable and he knew his F1? Bring him back I say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I'm still not convinced that RB wasn't deliberately given a poor strategy to ensure JB the win.

A 3 stop strategy was an unnecessary gamble after the safety car for the race leader. It may have been worth trying this strategy for the team driver who was following, but not for the race leader.

Nobody else in the top 10 (?) had a 3 stop strategy, and as I said before, "Brawn is know as the strategic genius". So I find it hard to believe that a) a 3 stop strategy was better and :D Brawn would have genuinely thought it was the way to go after the safety car.

I can understand why Brawn would do this, JB is ahead in points - why take chances?

p.s. How do you get British commentary? Alex Yoong on ESPN Star (I think) is O.K., but the other commentator (Steve Slater?) is rubbish!

...the other commentator (Steve Slater?) is rubbish!

Agreed! I downloaded the BBC version from TheBox.bz. OK, I watched it a few hours late but anything's better than Slater! :)

Martin Brundel is the commentator on the F1 channel I watch, I have swung the dish round and got Steve Slater and rather agree, so will stick to the Sats were 'Martin' is the commentator, as i also watch all the FREE practice sessions which are NOT shown on Star Sport

...the other commentator (Steve Slater?) is rubbish!

Agreed! I downloaded the BBC version from TheBox.bz. OK, I watched it a few hours late but anything's better than Slater! :)

Martin Brundel is the commentator on the F1 channel I watch, I have swung the dish round and got Steve Slater and rather agree, so will stick to the Sats were 'Martin' is the commentator, as i also watch all the FREE practice sessions which are NOT shown on Star Sport

Yes - I can, and have, downloaded the practice and qualifying sessions from TheBox.bz. They are free downloads, too - they don't count towards your "download byte count".

JB on P1 again today? As Monanco is notorious for being a track that's hard to pass on I would say it's Jenson's to lose.......not just this race but the whole comp. this year.

JB on P1 again today? As Monanco is notorious for being a track that's hard to pass on I would say it's Jenson's to lose.......not just this race but the whole comp. this year.

Yes it is starting to look that way. If he can build up sufficient gap it might see him through to the end of the season, even if the other teams can play catch up.

As yet though, i don't think they have. Monaco circuit has bunched up the field but once they are back on a proper circuit, i think the Brawns will have their big margin of difference back again.

Yes it is starting to look that way. If he can build up sufficient gap it might see him through to the end of the season, even if the other teams can play catch up.

As yet though, i don't think they have. Monaco circuit has bunched up the field but once they are back on a proper circuit, i think the Brawns will have their big margin of difference back again.

On a normal fast track it's a near certainty that the Brawns will continue winning as there is still nothing in sight of them and as for the Ferrari getting some new improvements for Turkey thus making them faster {perhaps} Brawn are also bringing out further mods for Turkey, I really cannot see any other team this year coming up with an improved package far superior to Brawns car and winning sufficient races to take either the drivers title or the constructors title from Ross Brawns outfit, now even Mercedes is looking to give Brawn more help and recognition now that they are out performing McLaren.

On a normal fast track it's a near certainty that the Brawns will continue winning as there is still nothing in sight of them and as for the Ferrari getting some new improvements for Turkey thus making them faster {perhaps} Brawn are also bringing out further mods for Turkey, I really cannot see any other team this year coming up with an improved package far superior to Brawns car and winning sufficient races to take either the drivers title or the constructors title from Ross Brawns outfit, now even Mercedes is looking to give Brawn more help and recognition now that they are out performing McLaren.

It makes a nice change to see an 'underdog' leaping to the front in this way - and seeing Button perform so well in a good car (and he has driven superbly this season).

Don't forget though that Ferrari are getting there, as are McLaren - Heikki qualified 7th in Monaco, which is where he ended up, (IIRC) last year in (arguably) the best car!

It bodes well for future races - I hope!

I agree though, its hard to see the others outperforming the Brawns. The Red Bulls looked promising, but were not quite able to compete with the Brawn diffusers.

I'd hoped that the others were catching up with Brawn. How wrong was I?? :)

Getting boring now, Brawn seem to have the same performance advantage as Ferrari in 2004. I don't understand why qualifying seems so close, but in the race Brawn are obviously WAY faster than the others!??

Nice to see Button driving so well though now that he has an excellent car.

I'd hoped that the others were catching up with Brawn. How wrong was I?? :D

Getting boring now, Brawn seem to have the same performance advantage as Ferrari in 2004. I don't understand why qualifying seems so close, but in the race Brawn are obviously WAY faster than the others!??

Nice to see Button driving so well though now that he has an excellent car.

Hi

Well Button flies again ... getting a bit repetitive but as a Brit I can live with it. :D

Did anybody see the BBC coverage? Now I am all for attractive totty in the pits but lets have some with more than 1 brain cell! Along comes one of Flavio's ex squeezes and when asked by Brundle was she supporting Button she clearly had no idea who he was talking about and said twice that she was supporting England! :)

Think she thought she was at a footie match!

TBWG :D

On another point I hope Lewis is feeling a bit more humble after his "monkey's at the back" quip of last year!

Edited by TBWG

Did anybody see the BBC coverage?

Yes always watch the Live coverage on BBC as well as all the Live free practice and qualifying,

Myself hope that JB wins most of the races this year, just to show that what was said about him as a driver by some high placed people in F1 was wrong.

Yes always watch the Live coverage on BBC as well as all the Live free practice and qualifying,

Myself hope that JB wins most of the races this year, just to show that what was said about him as a driver by some high placed people in F1 was wrong.

With all due respect to the fine year JB is having (and yes some deserved redemption) but goes to show us more than ever before it's the car the makes F1 these days.

When former WC's like Alonso, Kimi and Hamilton can't even get close to the Brawn (except for Barric :)), well...kudos to Brawn for building a monster of a car.

With all due respect to the fine year JB is having (and yes some deserved redemption) but goes to show us more than ever before it's the car the makes F1 these days.

When former WC's like Alonso, Kimi and Hamilton can't even get close to the Brawn (except for Barric :) ), well...kudos to Brawn for building a monster of a car.

Thats what I've been saying all along, as Frank Williams has said, anyone can drive his car s and get a good result, albeit it was stated in the days of Mansell etc, all F1 drivers are good or they wouldn't be racing such expensive machinery.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed and hope that Rubens will hit the No1 spot at least once this year.

I wonder how yesterdays legends would perform in todays cars. Especially my favourite, Mansell. He was one of just a few who were never intimidated by Senna. Take that great Monaco race when for the last few laps, Mansell was practically riding piggy-back all over an increasing erratic Senna. And I think they've lost the mold for guys like Hill and Hunt.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed and hope that Rubens will hit the No1 spot at least once this year.

I wonder how yesterdays legends would perform in todays cars. Especially my favourite, Mansell. He was one of just a few who were never intimidated by Senna. Take that great Monaco race when for the last few laps, Mansell was practically riding piggy-back all over an increasing erratic Senna. And I think they've lost the mold for guys like Hill and Hunt.

I loved watching Nigel although he always seemed to make hard work of his racing, he used to get out of the car totally exhausted and sometimes could barely stand and Damian is cast in the mold of his father, a gentleman, not many around now like that, and I must admit to having an intense dislike of Hamilton as I believe he is far too arrogant and his remarks in the past about the backmarkers is now coming home to roost but good for J.B at least it looks like we may have another British champion this year, and about time to.

I loved watching Nigel although he always seemed to make hard work of his racing, he used to get out of the car totally exhausted and sometimes could barely stand and Damian is cast in the mold of his father, a gentleman, not many around now like that, and I must admit to having an intense dislike of Hamilton as I believe he is far too arrogant and his remarks in the past about the backmarkers is now coming home to roost but good for J.B at least it looks like we may have another British champion this year, and about time to.

Drivers today are FAR more fit than they were in the past - they have to be, they're being paid mega bucks! Schumi started the trend and the rest had to follow.

Its impossible to compare the old 'greats' to today - everything has changed so much (including fitness levels!).

Hill may have been a 'gentleman', I'll take your word for it, but he wasn't a 'great' - and I'm pretty sure he'd far rather be remembered as one of the great F1 racing drivers than a gentleman!

I'm pleased too that JB is doing so well, but think that whilst he is obviously an excellent driver in a good car, he is not a 'great' driver as he performed so badly in an under-performing car last year. Rubens out-performed him last year.

Having said that, in the best car by a country mile he hasn't put a foot wrong - unlike Rubens!