Where To Buy Seeds & Fruit Trees In Chiang Mai

carlosacao

I'm looking for some place in Chiang Mai with a good selection of seeds for vegetables and fruit trees. I'm also looking for fruit trees such as yellow lemons, avocados, oranges, etc. I did check out most of the Kamthieng Flower Market next to Tesco, but it was mainly flowers, plants and decorative trees. Didn't see what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance.

I'm looking for some place in Chiang Mai with a good selection of seeds for vegetables and fruit trees. I'm also looking for fruit trees such as yellow lemons, avocados, oranges, etc. I did check out most of the Kamthieng Flower Market next to Tesco, but it was mainly flowers, plants and decorative trees. Didn't see what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance.

Did you check out the whole place ? Even the shops on the left hand side (when coming from the back entrance of Lotus) ?

Because they've got lots of fruit trees. Moreover they can order what they don't have.

Did you check out the whole place ? Even the shops on the left hand side (when coming from the back entrance of Lotus) ?

Because they've got lots of fruit trees. Moreover they can order what they don't have.

Checked most of the place, but of course I probably missed the one spot where they have the stuff. Thanks

Checked most of the place, but of course I probably missed the one spot where they have the stuff. Thanks

Be careful when buying garden supplies there. Very expensive compared to other places you can save thousands of baht by shopping around. A local thai friend put me in touch with some smaller nurseries in the Sansai area one 3rd of the cost and better quality.

If you can wait until the Mae Jo Farming Festival or Agriculture Festival (I forget what they call it), you can find everything you are looking for. And at prices that can not be beat - like 20 Baht for lime trees, etc. We got numerous fruit trees there from specialty growers from all over Thailand, including some Maprang trees.

If you can wait until the Mae Jo Farming Festival or Agriculture Festival (I forget what they call it), you can find everything you are looking for. And at prices that can not be beat - like 20 Baht for lime trees, etc. We got numerous fruit trees there from specialty growers from all over Thailand, including some Maprang trees.

Years ago, when I was teaching there back when it was still simply an agricultural institute, The Mae Jo college always had items for sale in the nurseries towards that back. You might need a current student or faculty member to gain access, but I can confirm Elektriks opinion that price and quality would be hard to beat. I would imagine that the Festival would have an even larger selection than the school itself.

Thank you elektrified & Johpa, I searched for it in google and it seems to be the Mae Jo University Agricultural Fair, looks like it's held in december or january. I'll definitely go next time.

Be careful when buying garden supplies there. Very expensive compared to other places you can save thousands of baht by shopping around. A local thai friend put me in touch with some smaller nurseries in the Sansai area one 3rd of the cost and better quality.

Thanks for the tip Marsteele -- do you have a name or tel # or location for these nurseries? Thanks

Do you guys know what types of fruit trees are available as plants that already have some growth in them as opposite to just seeds?

At the Mae Jo Fair we bought mature lime, papaya, ka-noon, banana and maprang trees. Most of the sellers were highly educated (one grower had two Ph.D's), most spoke fluent English and they gave loads of free advice, reading materials, and links to their websites on how to achieve the best results in growing the fruit. Some offered email and telephone support. Some of the growers were even endorsed by the King or Queen. It was a very enjoyable experience (we went every day of the fair), and all of our trees are doing very well. The lime trees already produced fruit.

For vegetable (mainly but not all Thai) seeds, you could check out the AFM Group range at their main office which is just outside Chiang Mai on the Mae Jo Road - big and isolated building on your left as you drive north (huge AFM sign on the ground in front of it). Most of their range is flower seeds - but good for herbs and vegetables also. Other places (Khamtien, Rimping etc sell just some of what they have available there).

399 Chiang Mai-Mae Jo road.

Nonghan, Sansai

Chiang Mai 50290

Tel: 053 353810-5

[quote name='carlosacao' post='2608974' date='2009-03-20

Thanks for the tip Marsteele -- do you have a name or tel # or location for these nurseries? Thanks

I'd also be very interested in tracking down these nurseries.

Do you guys know what types of fruit trees are available as plants that already have some growth in them as opposite to just seeds?

At the Mae Jo Fair we bought mature lime, papaya, ka-noon, banana and maprang trees. Most of the sellers were highly educated (one grower had two Ph.D's), most spoke fluent English and they gave loads of free advice, reading materials, and links to their websites on how to achieve the best results in growing the fruit. Some offered email and telephone support. Some of the growers were even endorsed by the King or Queen. It was a very enjoyable experience (we went every day of the fair), and all of our trees are doing very well. The lime trees already produced fruit.

Thank you elektrified, I look forward to the next fair.

[quote name='carlosacao' post='2608974' date='2009-03-20

Thank you Steve2UK, I'll check out the AFM Group.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know where you can buy kaprow (Thai basil) seedlings? Seeds are fine too, but I'd rather find some that have already started growing. I've checked Rimping, AFM, a couple markets, and a nursery with no luck.

Just FYI, AFM has a phenomenal selection of flower seeds that can be bought at any of the Rimping supermarkets or their home office.

http://www.rimping.com

http://www.afmgroup.com/afmgroup/homepage/home.php?lang=en

Edited by mnbcm

The place to buy seeds for vegetables is directly behind the Tesco/Lotus right before the back entrance. It is on the left hand side and the field is on the right. They can get whatever you want if they do not have it. A little expensive.

Oranges do not grow well around here although I'm sure there are some that grow good ones. They are a semi tropical fruit as opposed to what we westerners call tangerines that do great. Many tangerines at the market and all over.

Yellow lemons are harder to find but available.

Avocados are also available but you have to look around. Some of the Doi Kham stations on the Mae Sa road have them along with other specialty fruit trees. I have never taken the time to drive over there but ask at one of the Doi Kham offices and see if you can get directions. Avocados must be grown from cuttings or grafts in order to guarantee fruit.

I don't know if you are familiar with the organization ECHO, but they are a seed distribution company of sorts and I am sure they would have all the info you need on plants, trees and seeds of this area. Their office is located at McCormick Hospital next door to the orange bank (whatever it is called). Their website is www.echonet.org Here is the map of the office here in Chiang Mai:

post-70646-1240638688_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I also want to buy fruit trees from thailand, can you help me??

The Saturday market on the Hang Dong rd. after Hang Dong and a little past the Ban Tawan turn (sorry don't have name but hopefully another poster will supply). This place is huge, has so much stuff, cheap watches to water buffalos! There is a lady right on the left side of the street (the market is on both, you can't miss it) near the end. Cars pull right up and load up with fruit trees and she runs out before noon.