But I Don't Give A Hoot !

Pierrot

Agreed! Especially a newspaper column by Trink. :D

Someone here seemed suitably impressed .....

Not if you read the thread carefully... :o

Read it carefully......

After reading the story of his life, I wished . If you dream is to be a journalist and to live in Asia, he was someone in Bangkok. For a nobody, he's quite a role model. But the ending is quite sad, after being Bangkok star writer for decades, seing you column shrinks, becoming a pariah when the PC brigade took over...

But then, when seeing what the BP has become, he's most probably happy not to work there anymore.

Like I said...... :D

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That it is difficult for straight men to catch AIDS from vaginal sex.

You and him are wrong

http://www.medindia.net/news/Toronto-Man-P...est-45831-1.htm

A man from Toronto is urging all those who have slept with his stripper ex-wife to get an HIV test done, after he was infected with the virus through her.

Iamkhong had been sentenced in August 2007 to three years in jail after being convicted of criminal negligence causing bodily harm for infecting her ex-husband with HIV.

Suwalee Iamkhong, 39, who arrived in Canada from Thailand in 1995, danced at Toronto's Zanzibar Tavern for most of her career, which lasted until 2004.

What you've provided is anecdotal evidence with a sample size of N=1.

You've neglected to account for the possibility that any men who'd contracted HIV from Suwalee hadn't entered through her "back door."

You've presented your "evidence" to counter an argument that wasn't made. Nobody (in this topic) has claimed that a man can't contract HIV from vaginal intercourse. Some have said that it's difficult to contract HIV from vaginal intercourse.

Basically, your "point" is pointless.

"That it is difficult for straight men to catch AIDS from vaginal sex". - no it is actually fairly easy, if a male (no condom) has vaginal sex with an HIV infected women the probability is 1 in 500-1000 ... pretty horrific odds.
So you're saying you've got to shag 1,000 women without a condom on to get infected with HIV. How many do you get through in a night?

It is difficult for men to catch it with vaginal sex according to doctors who are experts on the subject.

Yes I know Ulysses, but his point is it's not impossible. It seems from the odds though that if you shag 1,000 different women without a condom then you are certain to become HIV infected.

I don't know about you guys but I'll make sure I stop at 999 'cos I don't want to take any chances.

Actually, you might want to review your old probability textbooks...

If there's a 1 in 1000 chance of catching it each time (and the person who made that claim didn't back it, which makes it just another meaningless out-of-the-ass-stat as far as I'm concerned... but strictly speaking in terms of the math, and not whether you believe those odds), then you will almost certainly have caught the disease long before your 1000th exposure.

Look at the math problem from the other perspective... if in 1000 exposures, you could only contract the disease once, what are the odds that that one time would be on the last exposure in the sequence?

Because the virus could be transferred in from the woman to the male more than 1 of those 1000 times (not that it would matter after the 1st transfer), by incident N=500, there'd be well over a 50% chance that the male had been infected.

If you're hoping to tilt the odds in your favor or justify a behavior, factor in the percentage of the population that actually has HIV... then you get a nice small number for each incidence, such as (1/1000) * (3/100) = .00003, or .003% chance of contraction per incident (assuming that b.s. 1 in a 1000 number that was thrown out there, and 3% of the population having HIV, and that you're screwing a person who is exactly as likely to HIV as a person pulled from the population at random). Then start factoring in how many years you're likely to live if you never contract HIV vs if you do, and you could probably come up with an Expected Value of minutes that each incident would shorten your life -- my guess is that each time you had sex with a stranger without a condom, you could expect to shorten your life by a few minutes.

But then factor in all the money you'd need to spend on Valtrex after you acquired herpes (and the increased odds of contracting HIV after you've acquired herpes), all the minutes you'll spend in a clinic for chlamydia, ghonorrhea, etc..., all the money you may need to spend on child support, and you may indeed wasting too much of your life to make it worth it.

It seems from the odds though that if you shag 1,000 different women without a condom then you are certain to become HIV infected.

I don't know about you guys but I'll make sure I stop at 999 'cos I don't want to take any chances.

I don't think that PP was being entirely serious. :o

It seems from the odds though that if you shag 1,000 different women without a condom then you are certain to become HIV infected.

Quite. :D

And I think that the statistic that I read many years ago was that if you shagged a girl that actually HAS HIV the chances of you catching it are 1 in 5,000.

That works for me. I'm never entirely serious -- can't stand it when my wife tells me I think too much.