But I Don't Give A Hoot !

Pierrot

Last week, knowing I was going to spend the day in a bus, I took a book from my bookshelf to read during my trip. It was a book from Jennifer Bliss about “The life and times of Bernard Trink, Bangkok’s Nite Owl”.

I don’t know if younger members are familiar with Mr Trink, but once you have read his column, you can’t forget him

For the people old enough to remember him (not that old actually, his last columns were in 1993, but were very different from the original ones), what did you think of his column ? I remember reading it with ambivalent feelings, believing he belongs to a a different time, long past, but at the same time appreciating his straight forward opinion that never sacrificed to the “politically correct” of our time.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were characatures of "Trink The Dink" in the s-hitehole of every bar on Patpong and Soi Cowboy. Don't know who actually drew rhem, anyone care to own up?

I admit it, it was me.

Just kidding. I had never even been to Thailand in 1993. I think they must have re-posted some of his articles in later issues of The Bangkok Post, because I do recall reading them online occasionally. He did have a "unique" writing style, but after reading his column in several editions, I started to find them somewhat repetitive and tedious. Maybe that's what Pierrot meant when he said that his last columns were very different from the original ones, which I never read.

--http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/weekly/weekly170.html

..........if anyone gives a hoot :o

Is Stickman the Nite Owl of the years 2000 ? Actually it could be interesting to compare the two styles

But originally my thread was a walk down memory lane, to ask posters who have been around long enough what has changed since the heyday of the Nite Owl

From what I remember, he was still writing as late as 2000. Pre- 95 ish he used to have 2 pages in the post.

I wonder how many lives ended because of his ridiculously iresponsible writings that HIV didn't cause AIDS and was harmless, knowing that many of his readers were whoremongers.

From what I remember, he was still writing as late as 2000. Pre- 95 ish he used to have 2 pages in the post.

I wonder how many lives ended because of his ridiculously iresponsible writings that HIV didn't cause AIDS and was harmless, knowing that many of his readers were whoremongers.

I wonder how many people are stupid enough to believe everything they read? :o:D:D

Specious allegations.

Back that up.

It was common knowledge. One of the reasons he got sacked from the post.

His columns were crap anyway - unless you really cared what Noi from the Pink Pussy was having a birthday party.

Does anyone know what Bernard is doing now ? His columns went downhill in the last few years, but I always enjoyed him.

"nuff said.

Semi retired, but he still writes everynow and again for the Bangkok Post his last piece yesterday...

I was only yesterday discussing Trink with a colleague who, like me, is in the 'Trink Supporters' camp - Trink being someone who seems to divide opinion so very sharply.

The topic of our conversation being the distinct difference between Trink in person and Trink's writing persona.

About the time he was being sacrificed at the Bangkok's alter of changing values, I wrote to Trink asking if he would consider writing a book on Expat life in Bangkok during the 1950s and 60s ( a subject I feel would generate a lot of interest). He replied with some clear amusement over the idea but declined suggesting people might expect him to discuss too many of the negative things of the day (It seemed perhaps he had already considered this and did not like the restrictions of what he was being asked to write).

Like or dislike Trink as you will, in the end the OP is right in what he says, Trink's column and his view of Thailand's nightary entertainment world is of a bye gone age.

His column did descend into something not worth reading (why that was so is anyone's guess) - His column uncermoniously pushed out of the Bangkok Post, I feel without due recognition for what it was in terms of Journalism in Asia and certainly without due recognition that it had for so many years been a 'Seller' of the Bangkok Post.

We can now pick up the Bangkok post and read bland advertising copy written by the publicity officers of a handful of Hotel/Spa groups and opinions drawn from stock columnists from around the world and of course Trink's book reviews.

The world has lost a bit more of its colour - which is sad really.

Edited by GuestHouse

Specious allegations.

Back that up.

His columns were crap anyway - unless you really cared what Noi from the Pink Pussy was having a birthday party.

I think a very more plausible explanation is; what was then the new management of the Bangkok Post took an editorial line that they were going to remove all references to Thailand's sex industry in what was undoubtedly an example of Thais covering up their eyes to deny the view the rest of the world has of Thailand with respect to that particular industry.

Come to Thailand for spas, and five star hotels was and remains the message.... The advertiser pays...

I do recall discussion in the paper at the time of the Trink Column's removal in which 'Family Values' were raised a number of times..... The raising of 'Family Values' as a reason to change a policy is seldom an indication of a positive change.

Edited by GuestHouse

Specious allegations.

Back that up.

Based on your knowledge of his column, it seems you cared ... :o

Specious allegations.

Back that up.

I think a very more plausible explanation is; what was then the new management of the Bangkok Post took an editorial line that they were going to remove all references to Thailand's sex industry in what was undoubtedly an example of Thais covering up their eyes to deny the view the rest of the world has of Thailand with respect to that particular industry.

Come to Thailand for spas, and five star hotels was and remains the message.... The advertiser pays...

I do recall discussion in the paper at the time of the Trink Column's removal in which 'Family Values' were raised a number of times..... The raising of 'Family Values' as a reason to change a policy is seldom an indication of a positive change.

I'm not familiar with BP management either before or after Trink's time, but it seems to me that BP moved from a newspaper by expats for expats, to a more commercial venture, a "local" paper translated in English.

What I liked with Trink column, even if I didn't always agree with what he said, was he was writing something I can relate to as an expat living in Bangkok, a bit similar to Stickman nowadays. As you say, now the BP (and the Nation is even worse) is a support for advertisments, a daily yellow pages with cartoons.

Pierrot, you've just read a book about him right? I'm confused as to why you said his last columns were in 1993 - i would have said more like about ten years later. No?

In December 2003, Trink's column was dropped without fanfare by a new editor, who decided it was time for Trink to go. There was no announcement that it was ending, nor any farewell party for the long time columnist. The "Nite Owl" column simply vanished. Trink still writes book reviews for the Post and for a time did his own web site, but he is now more or less retired.

source wiki

Pierrot, you've just read a book about him right? I'm confused as to why you said his last columns were in 1993 - i would have said more like about ten years later. No?

Absolutely right 2003. 93 is for something else, actually the year I moved definitively to Asia

a bit similar to Stickman nowadays.

Although i guess he must still be running his site, it was my impression that it had pretty much died a death. No?

I don't follow you here ...

so did he actually have anything interesting to say or was it another middle aged westerner talking endlessly about whoring, ala stickman.

post something he wrote. that link does not get me anywhere but error screens.

Edited by TonySoprano

I used to read him faithfully and don't remember him ever advising unprotected sex. I actually stopped my subscription to the Post when they cut his former page to a tiny column. Some of you have poor memories or you have no idea what you are talking about.

I used to read him faithfully and don't remember him ever advising unprotected sex. I actually stopped my subscription to the Post when they cut his former page to a tiny column. Some of you have poor memories or you have no idea what you are talking about.

As i recall it, he didn't actually advocate unprotected sex, but he did frequently mention his feelings that the dangers for men of contracting AIDS through hetrosexual sex had been exaggerated... come to think of it, that is a bit like advocating unprotected sex isn't it?

That aside, i too was appalled with the way BP tossed him aside when the PC brigade got their way. Shameful way to treat a man who had done so much for the rag.

As i recall it, he didn't actually advocate unprotected sex, but he did frequently mention his feelings that the dangers for men of contracting AIDS through hetrosexual sex had been exaggerated... come to think of it, that is a bit like advocating unprotected sex isn't it?

Actually, he constantly reminded readers to cover their willies to prevent other diseases.

The funny thing is that he was probably correct about AIDS being difficult to catch via hetrosexual intercourse (at least for the man), but no one ever admits it.

The funny thing is that he was probably correct about AIDS being difficult to catch via hetrosexual intercourse (at least for the man), but no one ever admits it.

Nobody admits it because what purpose would it serve to do so? It would just encourage certain men to be more careless. The fact is that it is possible to get AIDS that way - for me that's enough - i'm not bothered about studying statistical figures on the chances - a 1% chance is too great a risk.