The Thai Basils

thailandlover

What exactly is the difference between Horapha, Kra-paow and Maeng Lak flavor wise?

Horapa is a type of sweet basil that to some has an anise or licorice taste.

Krapao is either red or white. Actually what is called Krapao dang is more purple, and the white one is just green.

They always use the white here in cooking. The white is just spicy in my opinion, overpowering the taste of the dish.

The red has a much better flavor IMO and adds heat without taking away from or overpowering the rest of the ingredients.

Meng luk is the lemony tasting basil that is eaten with Khanom jeen nam yaa. They also use the seeds

in desserts, or drinks.

Beachbunny

Excellent reply Beachbunny.

Since I live in the UK and where I live there are no Asian shops, I am trying to grow Harapa and Krapao. The Harapa is doing nicely and most if not all the seeds I planted have sprouted and doing nicely. Not one of my Krapao seeds have germinated and I planted around 2 weeks ago the same time as the Harapa. Anybody else tried growing these? The krapao seeds are very fine indeed.....much smaller then the Harapa. I have now planted some more seeds and this time put less soil over the seeds. Anybody have any suggestions? Both sets of seeds are being grown indoors.

Horapa is a type of sweet basil that to some has an anise or licorice taste.

i would say it has a tint of both licorice and a touch of anise...;-P

and to the OP.... you should hold it, rub the leaves, smell it, taste it and you will know...

Edited by aircut

Excellent reply Beachbunny.

Since I live in the UK and where I live there are no Asian shops, I am trying to grow Harapa and Krapao. The Harapa is doing nicely and most if not all the seeds I planted have sprouted and doing nicely. Not one of my Krapao seeds have germinated and I planted around 2 weeks ago the same time as the Harapa. Anybody else tried growing these? The krapao seeds are very fine indeed.....much smaller then the Harapa. I have now planted some more seeds and this time put less soil over the seeds. Anybody have any suggestions? Both sets of seeds are being grown indoors.

An even faster way of spreading Horapa is breaking off green twigs and just sticking them into the slightly wet soil; they will start growing within days.

Grapaow is a little bit more difficult and after 2 weeks it is much too early to give up on your seeds yet, I had some germinate after much longer.

Hadrian1,

With the kapow,bai manglag and this new purple basil(photo attached) we use seeds direct to the soil and it takes about 2-4 weeks to get the plants growing good.If we germinate them in the grow house it is better and you will get a better return,but that takes more work.With horapa we just take a piece of the growing basil and place it in water upright and wait for it to grow roots,then plant direct to the ground.We will try this with the new purple basil that we have started,it should work fine.Only time wil tell.The new purple basil is sweet and has an anisette flavor to it.The vietnames seem to like this better in "pho" then the other basil.At least here in the US.

post-14263-1237940202_thumb.jpg