How Badly Don't You Want To Move Back To Your Home Country?

Jingthing

How badly don't you want to move back to your home country?  

317 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I extremely don't want to move back bar_left.gifbar.gifbar_right.gif [26.32%]

I would rather die than move back bar_left.gifbar.gifbar_right.gif [31.58%]

These would be the expats that came for the "nightlife". :o

Question.

Do these people expect their homelands to come rescue them in the event of a catastrophe? Let's say a bad quake hit. Would they start bitching about the absence of support?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Question.

Do these people expect their homelands to come rescue them in the event of a catastrophe? Let's say a bad quake hit. Would they start bitching about the absence of support?

I don't expect anything. However, as a US citizen I am liable to pay US taxes for the rest of my life, so being an expat who does not wish to live in the US does not mean I give up any of the same citizenship rights as any other citizen. I realize I may indeed move back there someday, hopefully not, but it is very possible.

Edited by Jingthing

I entered 'I want to move back'.

I won't go back just yet, but will within the next few years. I am planning it with the same excitement as I had when planning to move to Thailand, except this time I know everything about the place I am escaping to. Other than the lower cost of living I see no advantage to living in Thailand, at all. I see it only being attractive to old men with young wives or young men doing the bar scene. I don't knock this but if you are trying to live a more conventional life then I see no attraction anymore. Subtract the 'pussy factor' from the equation, including old men with child brides, and see how many want to stay then. The UK, Australia, the USA and rest of our home country's are better than Thailand in every way, other than the likelihood of getting laid on a night out. Even the weather here isn't as great as we like to think. Its so humid today that as I sit here in the shade of my garden I am melting all over the laptop. Even the weather is uncivilized. :o I can not think of any way in which life in Thailand or Thailand itself is better that life back home.

I entered 'I want to move back'.

I won't go back just yet, but will within the next few years. I am planning it with the same excitement as I had when planning to move to Thailand, except this time I know everything about the place I am escaping to. Other than the lower cost of living I see no advantage to living in Thailand, at all. I see it only being attractive to old men with young wives or young men doing the bar scene. I don't knock this but if you are trying to live a more conventional life then I see no attraction anymore. Subtract the 'pussy factor' from the equation, including old men with child brides, and see how many want to stay then. The UK, Australia, the USA and rest of our home country's are better than Thailand in every way, other than the likelihood of getting laid on a night out. Even the weather here isn't as great as we like to think. Its so humid today that as I sit here in the shade of my garden I am melting all over the laptop. Even the weather is uncivilized. :o I can not think of any way in which life in Thailand or Thailand itself is better that life back home.

I think you are suffering a severe case of euphoric recall or denial. Seek help quick.

I am excited to go back to the USA. I miss clean air and water, quality control. The landscape, temperate weather and lots of job opportunities for me in spite of the economic downturn. I miss restaurants, history and architecture. Though I do see the appeal of Thailand but if I am honest with myself the #1 thing is the women and the other pluses fade out very quickly without them. Hopefully my lady will be happy with me in the USA where we are going in a few months. If not then I may end up back here and the pluses I mentioned about the USA might take a back seat. I guess it's all about what you value but really most places have strengths and weaknesses.

There is a website that Thai ladies who live abroad gather together and sharing things like cooking recipe, experiences, and life stories. I would say 95% of them want to move back to Thailand. After a while in western countries it made them love their native land even more.

My friend's wife, at first she very much wanted to move to the USA and earned there. a few months there is exciting and wanted to get a job and later she got a job at a Thai restaurant surrounding with Thai friends and Thai food but after a few years she now very much wants to move back to Thailand. They have got a son and she wants to take the son with her to Thailand but the husband said No chance. They probably will move to live in Thailand in the future when he retires or when they can afford to live here.

However, everybody is different and good luck for you and your girlfriend, hope she will like it there in the USA and always can come back to Thailand if you both want, can't you?

I feel very lucky to be an Australian citizen.

I was living in Dubai recently and late last year the financial slowdown really started to kick into the expat population. The Brits where absolutely terrified of the thought of having to go back to pommy land. I was really suprised at how scared they were!

When I am living in another country and it's time to go home I think about what the worst can happen. Like...

Live back on the Gold Coast

Go surfing and fishing everyday

Go on the dole for a while untill I got a job (with a wife and kid it's more than enough to live a comfortable life) :P

Perfect weather, wide open spaces....

The Brits on the other hand. :o

I would bet a pound to a penny that everyone of them that voted "extremely would'nt go back" or "I'd rather die than go back" are English.

Poor buggers, they even feel a shack in the back of Issan is better than where they come from. :D

Yep...it's good to be Aussie. :wai:

your having a laugh mate !!!!

Given a choice , i bet if you asked any other nationality , would you rather you came from Australia or the UK , the UK would win hands down .....Everybody ,at some point in life secretly wished they came the UK .

Live back on the Gold Coast = which in your case maybe close to your home ...... but for many Aussie its f*king miles and away , at least the English coast line is within an hours drive for everybody!! Oh ...and we do have beaches and surfing !!

Go surfing and fishing everyday = the uk and Ireland have the best fishing the world , full stop!!

Go on the dole for a while untill I got a job (with a wife and kid it's more than enough to live a comfortable life) = I cannot believe that Australia has a better welfare (dole) system than the UK

Perfect weather, = yea its hot , hot and hot .... very diverse weather you guys have ....and because its hot , all you guys can do to get away from it is....... go to the pub and get pissed , while your house burns down !!

wide open spaces....= flat boring baron featureless landscape with a couple of big rocks!! Yea really beautiful .....i think the English countryside has a lot more to offer !!!

And best of all the women ..... English women may not be everybody’s cup of tea ..... but they beat Aussie women on all fronts .... f*k me your women are so bad , it explains why you guys are in the pub all the time, camping it up .

The reason why most brit /expat would rather stay here then go home is simple ..... most of them will be over the age of 50+ and life for a single elderly man in the UK is not much fun , same in Australia ?

Yep...it's good to be Aussie. = lol..... its never been good to be an Aussie , ( descendants of ....???lets not go there )

A few fats English blokes in dubia who don’t want to go home , doesn't make England a bad place .

Its good to be English .... always has been !!!

( i did’t vote ,I'm not an Expat )

Born in England - migrated to Australia & proud to be an Australian citizen.

I would rather die than return to that depressing shithole.

Plenty of pommy tradesmen (fitters & electricians) where I work & none of them would consider returning to England to live & work - lifes is just too good here. Good pay & conditions, nice houses, boats, holiday houses down on the coast, fishing, 4 wheel driving through the bush, weather ranging from tropical to temperate climate & everything in between, why in f*cks name would anybody want to return to a grim miserable rock in the North sea?

Sounds like you have a case of sour grapes. Australian Immigration Dept. knock you back? Lack of any useful skills? :D:D:D

I am excited to go back to the USA. I miss clean air and water, quality control. The landscape, temperate weather and lots of job opportunities for me in spite of the economic downturn. I miss restaurants, history and architecture. Though I do see the appeal of Thailand but if I am honest with myself the #1 thing is the women and the other pluses fade out very quickly without them. Hopefully my lady will be happy with me in the USA where we are going in a few months. If not then I may end up back here and the pluses I mentioned about the USA might take a back seat. I guess it's all about what you value but really most places have strengths and weaknesses.

There is a website that Thai ladies who live abroad gather together and sharing things like cooking recipe, experiences, and life stories. I would say 95% of them want to move back to Thailand. After a while in western countries it made them love their native land even more.

My friend's wife, at first she very much wanted to move to the USA and earned there. a few months there is exciting and wanted to get a job and later she got a job at a Thai restaurant surrounding with Thai friends and Thai food but after a few years she now very much wants to move back to Thailand. They have got a son and she wants to take the son with her to Thailand but the husband said No chance. They probably will move to live in Thailand in the future when he retires or when they can afford to live here.

However, everybody is different and good luck for you and your girlfriend, hope she will like it there in the USA and always can come back to Thailand if you both want, can't you?

One thing about my girl is she is Lao, though she has lived in Thailand most of her life she never has quite felt like this is her own country since well, it isn't. I am hoping she will like the USA and apply for citizenship when she is able and accept the country as her own. I am hoping to live near the sea somewhere in California. Maybe even somewhere near LA. That area has the biggest Thai community outside of Thailand, I'm sure there are Laotians there as well. I also am considering Boston which I think she would like in spite of the cold. I am certain she will feel very homesick at times but I told her give it a 2 year run and if she doesn't like it we can see if there are options to come back to Thailand.

I have been married to a Thai lady once before and brought her with me to the USA. She didn't like it and ended up back here. I never planned to get married again and actually thought I would just settle in Thailand but as I've mentioned there are some things here I just don't like, most namely the pollution and lack of efficiency and opportunity. Thai women(and Lao) are the number #1 appeal but I am not a bar hopping guy. I just like having beautiful women smile at me and need nothing more than that to feel good. I also like the food and some of the silliness but I've come to believe a 2 week vacation would fill my quota for needing those things and the rest of the time I'll stick to the USA.

If I was from the UK, well that's another story entirely.

Born in England - migrated to Australia & proud to be an Australian citizen.

I would rather die than return to that depressing shithole.

Plenty of pommy tradesmen (fitters & electricians) where I work & none of them would consider returning to England to live & work - lifes is just too good here. Good pay & conditions, nice houses, boats, holiday houses down on the coast, fishing, 4 wheel driving through the bush, weather ranging from tropical to temperate climate & everything in between, why in f*cks name would anybody want to return to a grim miserable rock in the North sea?

Sounds like you have a case of sour grapes. Australian Immigration Dept. knock you back? Lack of any useful skills? :o:D:D

:D:D:wai::P Classic Post Loosecannon, that should sort that whinging pommie git out :jerk:

Don't know if someone said that before, and apologies to the op, if the following is already an aspect of one of the polls guidelines. Not yekyekyek me.

But best way for me and for some I know is/respectively would be to live during the spring and summer months in the home country and during the rest of the year in Thailand.

Other than the lower cost of living I see no advantage to living in Thailand, at all. I see it only being attractive to old men with young wives or young men doing the bar scene. I don't knock this but if you are trying to live a more conventional life then I see no attraction anymore. Subtract the 'pussy factor' from the equation, including old men with child brides, and see how many want to stay then. The UK, Australia, the USA and rest of our home country's are better than Thailand in every way, other than the likelihood of getting laid on a night out.

Might be true, but a satisfactory sex life is nothing to sneeze at.

Other than the lower cost of living I see no advantage to living in Thailand, at all. I see it only being attractive to old men with young wives or young men doing the bar scene. I don't knock this but if you are trying to live a more conventional life then I see no attraction anymore. Subtract the 'pussy factor' from the equation, including old men with child brides, and see how many want to stay then. The UK, Australia, the USA and rest of our home country's are better than Thailand in every way, other than the likelihood of getting laid on a night out.

I pity those that structure their lives around it though :o

Many of us whinge about life in Thailand, but things are not so good all over, and I think most of us would rather stay here rather than move back to our home countries. How about it?

Some poll details:

-- non-expats not covered

-- people with unusual life histories, never lived in home country, having no nationality, having ten passports, extraterestial beings, etc. all not covered

-- I thought of adding the option "I am a wanted criminal in my home country" but thought the better of it because such people will tend to be paranoid, and with good reason

who is not an non expact explain to me :o

I was living in Dubai recently and late last year the financial slowdown really started to kick into the expat population. The Brits where absolutely terrified of the thought of having to go back to pommy land. I was really suprised at how scared they were!

When I am living in another country and it's time to go home I think about what the worst can happen. Like...

Go on the dole for a while untill I got a job (with a wife and kid it's more than enough to live a comfortable life) :P

I would bet a pound to a penny that everyone of them that voted "extremely would'nt go back" or "I'd rather die than go back" are English.

Poor buggers, they even feel a shack in the back of Issan is better than where they come from. :D

Yep...it's good to be Aussie. :D

Given a choice , i bet if you asked any other nationality , would you rather you came from Australia or the UK , the UK would win hands down .....Everybody ,at some point in life secretly wished they came the UK .

Live back on the Gold Coast = which in your case maybe close to your home ...... but for many Aussie its f*king miles and away , at least the English coast line is within an hours drive for everybody!! Oh ...and we do have beaches and surfing !!

Go surfing and fishing everyday = the uk and Ireland have the best fishing the world , full stop!!

Go on the dole for a while untill I got a job (with a wife and kid it's more than enough to live a comfortable life) = I cannot believe that Australia has a better welfare (dole) system than the UK

Perfect weather, = yea its hot , hot and hot .... very diverse weather you guys have ....and because its hot , all you guys can do to get away from it is....... go to the pub and get pissed , while your house burns down !!

wide open spaces....= flat boring baron featureless landscape with a couple of big rocks!! Yea really beautiful .....i think the English countryside has a lot more to offer !!!

And best of all the women ..... English women may not be everybody’s cup of tea ..... but they beat Aussie women on all fronts .... f*k me your women are so bad , it explains why you guys are in the pub all the time, camping it up .

The reason why most brit /expat would rather stay here then go home is simple ..... most of them will be over the age of 50+ and life for a single elderly man in the UK is not much fun , same in Australia ?

Yep...it's good to be Aussie. = lol..... its never been good to be an Aussie , ( descendants of ....???lets not go there )

A few fats English blokes in dubia who don’t want to go home , doesn't make England a bad place .

( i did’t vote ,I'm not an Expat )

I can't believe you wrote that!!

You have surf in England? :wai:

I'll tell you what I did yesterday;

Me and a couple of mates drove south down to Byron Bay. We have had a string of cyclones up north and we have had a fantastic run of good swell with southern point breaks going off nearly everyday for the past month!

The Pass at Byron was pumping. The rides were so long my legs ached at the end of the wave and then we would have to run half a K back to the point to paddle back out. We ripped that place apart. Seemed the only other guys out where grommies, kooks and a few pommy backpackers trying to learn how to surf :D

You can spot em' a mile off. Pasty, pot bellied blokes wearing "swimming trunks" trying to look as cool as possible in the water. They were not there long. A few well placed slashes off the face as they "try" to paddle over a wave had then scurrying back to shore quick smart.

And their women!! why are they all so fat?

Walking up Main Street in Byron and you can hear their foul mouths 2 blocks away, their boyfriends following close behind with their heads hung low.

What a great day! and you know...we are doing it again tomorrow...and probably the day after tomorrow too. :jerk:

So now tell me bedbandit, what will you do tomorrow? go to the pub?

Yep, it's great to be Aussie and I would'nt be dead for quids :D

Go on the dole for a while untill I got a job (with a wife and kid it's more than enough to live a comfortable life) :D

Yep...it's good to be Aussie. :D

And best of all the women ..... English women may not be everybody's cup of tea ..... but they beat Aussie women on all fronts .... f*k me your women are so bad , it explains why you guys are in the pub all the time, camping it up .

A few fats English blokes in dubia who don't want to go home , doesn't make England a bad place .

( i did't vote ,I'm not an Expat )

You have absolutly no idea about Australia, if you did, you couldnt of possibly posted such rubbish. You are not seriously suggesting that the UK has a larger coastline are you? Well it doesnt, Australias coastline is more than double the size of that of the United Kingdom. Are you aware that recent stats suggest that 85% of Australians live near the coast?

Have you even been to Australia? Yes I have spent some time in the UK, yes there is some very beautiful countryside there....secretly wished I was from there: YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING - Thanks but no thanks.

i never said the UK coastline is lager , its just more accessible , for 15% of your population that must really suck!! the reason 85% of you live near the coast is because all your activities proberly involve the sea .

and to the other comment made

yes ive been there , worked in construction, i have the skills that your country so desperately needs . (Plenty of pommy tradesmen) as you said . but i make twice as much in the UK now . ( well did )

I'm not saying australia is bad , its my 5th fav place ..... but to me its worse than England

i was going to say it but i have thought about it a bit and here's gos

the reason i didnt like australia was because of the Australians ...... the younger set 20 - 45ish were fine like any other nation ive visited ..... but the older set have a right chip on there shoulder , there seem bitter and miserable despite there nice surroundings .

i just picked up on a few points , life in the Cornish Riviera ( Newquay )(nice girls) we have a coastline , surfing , fishing wide open spaces , and the best Dole system in the world .

the UK is not that Bad ......yet !

I pity those that structure their lives around it though :o

I don't know anyone over 40 who structure their lives around sex, but I know a lot of guys who are much happier because female attention and fulfilling sexual needs are available to them when they get the urge.

Im going to leave the aussie/pommy quibbles as banter and let it go. but let me remind you all not to make this a personal attack against each other :o

however, an extremely negative post about thai women has been deleted and the poster warned. any such repeats and stricter penalties will be given.

I'm in Thailand , havin a break , stop twisting my words ..... i said more accessible . not easily

I'm in Thailand , havin a break , stop twisting my words ..... i implied its more accessible . not easily

Edited by BEDBANDIT

Im going to leave the aussie/pommy quibbles as banter and let it go. but let me remind you all not to make this a personal attack against each other :D

however, an extremely negative post about thai women has been deleted and the poster warned. any such repeats and stricter penalties will be given.

But he started it sir :o

I'm in Thailand , havin a break , stop twisting my words ..... i said more accessible . not easily

I'm in Thailand , havin a break , stop twisting my words ..... i implied its more accessible . not easily

Okay, I'm sure you need to come to Thailand to get away from that hel_l hole country of yours, I'll try not to twist your words, I don't understand how you said it is "more accessible" and implied it is more accessible.

Enjoy your break, hel_l can wait :o

Restaurants? - KFC, McDonalds, Burger King are already here.

History - The USA doesn't have any, unless you count exterminating the Indians, ( or "Native Americans", as the few that are left are now known).

Seriously - hope it works out for you both in the USA, but Thai ladies DO miss being in Thailand.

Most Thai women that have lived overseas, that I've met, miss Thailand in the beginning, but soon realize how many rights they have been deprived of and how backwards Thailand is and do not want to return except for vacations. The only ones that do not seem to get over Thailand are the hardcore hookers with almost no education who come back and work when they can get away from their husbands.

NONE of my friends wives want to come back to Thailand - even for hoilday - after living in London or New York for a few years.

History - The USA doesn't have any, unless you count exterminating the Indians,

You are one to talk. The Scottish have a long, illustrious history of being subjugated by the English to boast about - they still don't rule their own country. :o

Most Thai women that have lived overseas, that I've met, miss Thailand in the beginning, but soon realize how many rights they have been deprived of and how backwards Thailand is and do not want to return except for vacations.

NONE of my friends wives want to come back to Thailand - even for hoilday - after living in London or New York for a few years.

That's an interesting observation. However, I have read about statistics that show that of all the nationalities that immigrate to the USA, Thai have the highest return rate by far. And surely most of them are not "hard-core hookers." They are not like Filipinos, who adapt quite well to living overseas...most of what I have read and heard (and my own opinion from living amongst them for 10 years in Thailand) is that Thais don't do well outside of Thailand and I have never met a Thai who expressed an interest in much outside Thailand or a wish to live in such a "foreign" place.

Also agree with your posts about sex not being too important to those of us living here but that its easy availability when the urge strikes is a nice plus.

I agree that most Thais do not want to live overseas, until they have actually done it (for a few years).

Maybe most of the Thais that return from the US do so pretty quickly. Every friend of mine that has gotten married to a Thai woman comes back a lot the first few years and then claim that their wives don't want to anymore.

I am hoping to live near the sea somewhere in California. Maybe even somewhere near LA. That area has the biggest Thai community outside of Thailand, I'm sure there are Laotians there as well.

Lots of Lao people living in Orange County, CA. I lived in Anaheim, about 3 km north of D'land .. had 2 Thai-Lao markets and 3 restaurants in the neighborhood.

I voted "indifferent" in the poll because I am old enough to have learned never to say never about anything.

After five years of living both in the So. Cal desert and in Bkk/Jomtien, I find I am spending a larger percentage of my time in the US than in the first few years here. I am very happy I can maintain homes in both countries and have the option to hop on a plane and change my home when I feel like it. And grateful too for the Canadian "snowbirds" who rent my desert house during the winter months when the weather is so good in Thailand.

Both places have their strengths and weaknesses for me, but overall, I probably prefer living in California.

I am leaving next week for a few months in California as April-May in Thailand is a bit too hot for my liking.

Restaurants? - KFC, McDonalds, Burger King are already here.

History - The USA doesn't have any, unless you count exterminating the Indians, ( or "Native Americans", as the few that are left are now known).

Seriously - hope it works out for you both in the USA, but Thai ladies DO miss being in Thailand.

Actually the Brits helped a lot with the Indians. They gathered up blankets from people who died from smallpox and donated the blankets to the (Native Americans) Indians.