Thaksin Not Attending Sister's Funeral

george

Thaksin not attending sister's funeral

BANGKOK: -- Fugitive exprime minister Thaksin Shinawatra will miss the memorial service for his elder sister Yaowaluck, his younger sister said Sunday.

Yingluck said Thaksin was shocked to learn of the passing of his sister and was particularly saddened as he was out of the country.

Yaowaluck, 63, who had been in and out of hospital because of kidney problems, died on Saturday night after her condition worsened following a blood infection. She was admitted to hospital on April 16, 2008.

"After being informed of the loss, Thaksin telephoned all his brothers and sisters, saying he could not return home to attend the funeral," Yingluck said.

Yaowaluck was the first of nine children born to Lert and Yindee Shinawatra. Thaksin was the second.

For the past year, Thaksin has been hopping from one country to another after skipping bail and being sentenced in absentia to two years imprisonment for tax evasion.

-- The Nation 2009-03-22

Nothing surprising here.

Dis'ing his elder sister for his own political safety.

Again my condolencesall inclusive for the family, at the loss of their matriach

Don't quite see what you are getting at. If, hypothetically, a family member died and you ran the risk of a long prison term, you would still go to the funeral?

I don't understand d'issing, from the context does it mean not respectingm or something like that?

The western convention when someone dies is to pay respects and not make any political points. Best recent example was when the UK leader of the opposition's son died. The government did not take advantage of the situation by making attacks on the opposition - in fact, the parliamentary sitting was suspended.

My personal view is that such respect should also apply to Thai visa posters. There are other threads that can be used to make pro or anti Thaksin comments.

While the topic does seem to be more about Thaksin than about his sister's passing I agree we should all try to maintain some decency here. She will be missed by her family and loved ones and it sounds like she had more than a difficult time with her health issues.

Thaksin saddened by sister's death, but won't attend funeral

BANGKOK, March 22 (TNA) – Thailand’s former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra telephoned his family on Sunday and said that he feels sad for the death of his eldest sister who died due to heart failure late Saturday night.

Mr. Thaksin's youngest sister Yinglak Shinawatra said the former premier was informed of Ms. Yaowaluck's death, and is deeply saddened, but will not return to Thailand for the funeral.

The ex-premier, removed from power in a bloodless military coup in September 2006, was found guilty by the Supreme Court last year of violating the country’s conflict of interest laws in regard to a land purchase on Bangkok's Ratchadapisek Road by his then wife. MR. Thaksin's current address is undisclosed.

Dr. Viroon Mavichak, Phra Ram 9 Hospital director, said 62-year-old Yaowaluck Shinawatra died of heart failure.

Ms. Yaowaluck had been admitted at Bangkok's Phra Ram 9 Hospital since April last year for chronic kidney disease and diabetes.

2 points

1 ) it isn't a long jail sentence at this point .

6 months and he would likely be out, not a full two years

2 ) Not showing up at the funeral as the current clan elder

for the passing of your predecessor elder, to my understanding is a sign of disrespect.

Even if you have other problems following that return to make an appearance.

At the very least a face issue for him and the family.

And I won't be surprised he tries to lay that at somebody else's feet.

So yes, I am not surprised he isn't making appearance,

and that it would be poor form not to return anyway.

This has nothing to do with opposition,

but with the simple fact of not showing up.

I also gave my condolences to the whole Shinawatra clan in another thread.

2 points

1 ) it isn't a long jail sentence at this point .

6 months and he would likely be out, not a full two years

2 ) Not showing up at the funeral as the current clan elder

for the passing of your predecessor elder, to my understanding is a sign of disrespect.

Even if you have other problems following that return to make an appearance.

At the very least a face issue for him and the family.

And I won't be surprised he tries to lay that at somebody else's feet.

So yes, I am not surprised he isn't making appearance,

and that it would be poor form not to return anyway.

This has nothing to do with opposition,

but with the simple fact of not showing up.

I also gave my condolences to the whole Shinawatra clan in another thread.

You just don't get it do you. Look at the moderator's comment above and my post and apply some respectful standards

"The western convention when someone dies is to pay respects and not make any political points".

Perhaps members can help me out here. If a convicted mass murderer or a paedophile died, should we all pay our last respects? Does somebody whom we hold in total contempt suddenly become Mr. Wonderful in people's minds just because he curls his toes up? Was it wrong to wish the more murderous of our WW2 adversaries dead bearing in mind that we executed quite a few of them when the unpleasantness had finished?

Can anybody explain to me why I should feel any compassion for members of the clan who profited from the activities of Tacky and his one time spouse to the detriment of the vast majority of the populace?

:o:D :D

We are not in a Western Country,

and I was applying a Eastern Concept of respecting

the memorial rites of an elder you are replacing as patriarch.

The WHY he is not going, is central his whole honor system,

as applied to his politics, and now a salient point in his personal progress too.

As Bagwan said;

Does he suddenly get a pass just because a family member died?

Even if his actions in relation to that passing go against local standards?

Does he suddenly get a hagiography written when he ignores convention again for his own gain?

Thaksin not attending sister's funeral

BANGKOK: -- Fugitive exprime minister Thaksin Shinawatra will miss the memorial service for his elder sister Yaowaluck, his younger sister said Sunday.

Yingluck said Thaksin was shocked to learn of the passing of his sister and was particularly saddened as he was out of the country.

Yaowaluck, 63, who had been in and out of hospital because of kidney problems, died on Saturday night after her condition worsened following a blood infection. She was admitted to hospital on April 16, 2008.

"After being informed of the loss, Thaksin telephoned all his brothers and sisters, saying he could not return home to attend the funeral," Yingluck said.

Yaowaluck was the first of nine children born to Lert and Yindee Shinawatra. Thaksin was the second.

For the past year, Thaksin has been hopping from one country to another after skipping bail and being sentenced in absentia to two years imprisonment for tax evasion.

-- The Nation 2009-03-22

RIP Khun Yaowaluck. :o:D:D At this point in time, in my humble opinion for the good of the Thai people it is wise that Mr Thaskin do not return.

Does a person serving time in jail get to be released to attend his sister's furneral?

If so, let Thaksin come back to attend the funeral and thereafter, put him in jail to serve his sentence.

Edited by trogers

My cousin-in-law was not allowed out to either visit his father as he was dying nor attend the funeral once he did die. But then, he is a poor nobody. So perhaps the rules are different for someone of Thaksin's stature.

Does a person serving time in jail get to be released to attend his sister's furneral?

If so, let Thaksin come back to attend the funeral and thereafter, put him in jail to serve his sentence.

Even though as sbk says it's not the norm, I wouldn't be opposed to your proposal as it sounds quite reasonable. :o

It would even spare him the loss of face for not showing up for a family funeral with such serious family dynamics in Thailand as the new head of a family.

That conciliatory aspect of the action by the government would be in equal measure beneficial to the country to ending the divisiveness he continues to perpetuate.

A win-win for both sides.

Edited by sriracha john

Perhaps members can help me out here. If a convicted mass murderer or a paedophile died, should we all pay our last respects? Does somebody whom we hold in total contempt suddenly become Mr. Wonderful in people's minds just because he curls his toes up? Was it wrong to wish the more murderous of our WW2 adversaries dead bearing in mind that we executed quite a few of them when the unpleasantness had finished?

Can anybody explain to me why I should feel any compassion for members of the clan who profited from the activities of Tacky and his one time spouse to the detriment of the vast majority of the populace?

:o:D:D

I wouldn't even try to explain to you.

If you don't want to pay respects just don't post

From his latest speech to the UDD.

Mr. Thaksin expressed sorrow regarding the death of his eldest sister, Ms. Yaowaluck, who died of heart failure late Saturday night, but said he could not return to Thailand to pay last respects to her and to participate her funeral.

This guy has crept to the depths of depravity. He is looking for sympathy at the expense of his departed sister. He should have the balls to stand trial for his ill doings and take the rap. The only person who is stopping him from attending the funeral of a loved one is him.

Rick

:o:D :D

Hear, hear!

I remember when Aung San Suchy's (forgive the spelling) husband died of cancer several years ago, Aung San refused to go to London to be with him at his dying moments or attend the funeral for fear that the junt might not allow her into Burma again. Micheal, the husband also coudn't come to Burma due to the lack of medical facilities. However, I don't remember anybody critising her for not attending the funeral.

I don't know much about his elder sister and her life and role hasn't been reported on much in the press which may indicate that she didn't help him much as a nominee. She is probably wise, being the eldest in the family and for all we know my not have been involved in his dealings. Bangkok General Hospital although a reasonably good hospital isn't Bumrumgrad.

Both HM the King and former PM Thaksin have lost their eldest sisters recently, and may both rest in peace away from Thai politics.

I do feel a bit surprised that his speech still went ahead, but he may have known for sometime that she was going to pass away, given the unually lengthy time in hospital. Perhaps she was even on a respirator for some time, details are not shared.

I remember when Aung San Suchy's (forgive the spelling) husband died of cancer several years ago, Aung San refused to go to London to be with him at his dying moments or attend the funeral for fear that the junt might not allow her into Burma again. Micheal, the husband also coudn't come to Burma due to the lack of medical facilities. However, I don't remember anybody critising her for not attending the funeral.

I don't know much about his elder sister and her life and role hasn't been reported on much in the press which may indicate that she didn't help him much as a nominee. She is probably wise, being the eldest in the family and for all we know my not have been involved in his dealings. Bangkok General Hospital although a reasonably good hospital isn't Bumrumgrad.

Both HM the King and former PM Thaksin have lost their eldest sisters recently, and may both rest in peace away from Thai politics.

I do feel a bit surprised that his speech still went ahead, but he may have known for sometime that she was going to pass away, given the unually lengthy time in hospital. Perhaps she was even on a respirator for some time, details are not shared.

What a sensible post for a change!

Thaksin is not showing disrespect - he has already done so very publicly.

The Burmese parallel gives the reason. It would not be safe for him to return and people should understand that. Nothing to do with disrespect. Pragmatism

The un-censored comments will still continue on TV of course because the thread is seen as a way of Thaksin bashing. And that will I suspect continue to be allowed.

The above post is very well thought out, and made the point without recourse to the usual misinterpretation of facts, offensive remarks, and off topic remarks

Henry Ford once said: "You can have any colour you like so long as it is black"

For some TV posters "You can hold any opinion you like, so long as it agrees with mine"

I agree with the above post. That is my opinion, to which I am entitled. I may not be right.

Disagreements in forums are what forums are for. But the usual tactic is offense and flame.

It's a big thing for the eldest brother to attend a siblings' funeral if you're from a Chinese family. I believe there will be a lot of internal presure on Thaksin from his own family to end his conflict so that normal familiy relationships can continue. I believe in most Chinese/Thai families even money doesn't outpoint family responsibilities.

Especially if one doesn't read what is shared.

The speech was BEFORE being notified of her death and he was shocked that her condition had deteriorated and had died.

Yingluck said Thaksin was shocked to learn of the passing of his sister
Ironically, just hours before being notified of her death... his speech was...

I am sure a lot of you living far from your families have been in the situation where you were unable to attend the funeral of a family member or friend back home for one reason or another. If you haven't yet, you probably will

Perhaps you went to see the person before they died (which they might well prefer as a goodbye, rather than you turning up at the cremation instead), perhaps you remembered them in your prayers. ...or as I did, went to a local church during the time of the funeral back in the UK

Whatever the circumstances of your no-show, it is a private matter between you and the deceased.

This topic should be closed now, for beyond the newsflash, debate serves no purpose beyond useless criticism, and sometimes people just need to work things out for themselves.

I am sure a lot of you living far from your families have been in the situation where you were unable to attend the funeral of a family member or friend back home for one reason or another.

Hello.

Thing is that he is NOT "unable" to attend the funeral. It's a plane ride for him, he's not in a hospital or dependent on life support or otherwise unable to travel. His case is really special.

Can he spell "c o w a r d"..??

THAT's the reason. He keeps running from justice, nothing more, nothing less.

Yeah he'll probably do a phone-in at the funeral, as he is now used to do.

Best regards...

Thanh