UBC's new platinum Package

farangene

I heard on tv news this morning that UBC is adding a new level of tv service called the Platinum Package. Until now, the top UBC package has been the Gold Package of 31 channels with about a 1500 baht price. Platinum includes 10 additional new channels at a price of about 2000 baht per month.

Also, a new channel is being added to the existing packages and the price will increase slightly.

Anyone know where the details of what the new channels to be added are?

What 10 channels are they going to add that will make it worth an extra 500 baht ? There a no more premium sports or movie channels available in asia, and would you pay extra for documentary channels or more american tv series - it's a joke !

Take a look at the UBC REPACKAGE PAGE and see that the platinum package is a joke!

Platinum adds the following channels:

* Movies x 2 (MGM, TCM)

* Entertainment x 3 (StarWorld, E!, TVB(??))

* Kids x 1 (Animax)

* News x 3 (BBC-Prime, A1, STC(??))

No ABC-Asia Pacific which is what I was hoping for!!  :o

As i thought, the extra channels are worthless: TVB is a Hong Kong channel and broadcast in cantonese; Starworld is very similar to ubc series; and the other channels are pants ! I think it's just a way of hiding the price increase on the other package, because everybody will be focusing on this new platinum package.

I'd pay an extra 500 baht for the MGM and TCB (Turner?) Best film libraries in the world, in my opinion. At least all of my favorites, anyway. :D

Still, I hate UBC, too. Just the idea of them. :o

and the other channels are pants !

Of course I understand the sentiments, but what is the story behind this expression? It's a new one on me. :D

Edited by Ajarn

A lot of people were asking for the Animax channel, seeing as it's the only one not showing very dated anime re-runs. Adding it as part of a new premium package was not a good idea. Starworld seemed to have a few things the other channels didn't have (judging by the various sneak peeks from the other Star channels).

In the letter UBC sent about the new price hike (for old packages), the main reason given was license fees, primarily for the sports channels. I don't watch the sports channels at all, and I wish that they'd come up with a package that didn't have them.

UBC has long wanted to bring in a tiered product offering.

The reason that pay tv operators like tiered product offerings is that they can use it to subtly increase prices (Sky TV is one of the experts at this). The extra 10 channels maybe rubbish at the moment but what UBC will do is gradually migrate some of their better channels to the platinum package. In other words next year instead of raising prices, UBC might move Cinemax and one of the Sports Channels over to the platinum package.

By the way, I am a big fan of UBC.

Of course I understand the sentiments, but what is the story behind this expression? It's a new one on me. :o

Ajarn, it's a British expression for something that is rubbish, or 'trash' as the Americans would say.

ZOVOX, yeah, got that part. But the origin? Some story behind it?

Thanks

Of course I understand the sentiments, but what is the story behind this expression? It's a new one on me. :o

Ajarn, it's a British expression for something that is rubbish, or 'trash' as the Americans would say.

Thanks

Underpants.

Thanks

As already mentioned, 'pants' in the u.k is underwear, and not trousers as it is in America. The word is a slang expression, which i first heard amongst the youth on the streets of London, so it's probably just something someone made up.

in British English pants are Y fronts / boxers etc in other words underwear. Not trousers.  So the connection is probably one you can guess.

'trash' and 'rubbish' 'shit', 'crap', etc., have clear understandings of being a 'negative', but 'pants'? Sounds okay to me, especially on women! :o

Guess I had to have been there... :D

I actually like the movie channels they are adding--those are good ones. The stuff on the gold package (hbo/cinemax/etc) I rarely find anything watchable.

First downside is cost. For me it will be more practical to go the the theatre occasionally than fork out an extra 7000 baht a year for these platinium channels.

The other downside is the quality of the ubc satellite picture is currently pretty bad. They have the compression cranked up way past there being noticeble loss of quality (pixelation, shadows, blurriness, wrong colors, skipped frames). In order to get more channels, conventional wisdom says they are going to have to reduce the quality of the other channels to fit in the bandwidth. Besides further wrecking the picture quality, this could mean even greater susceptibility to blackout when it rains which is already a huge problem.

I can't understand why such a low quality offering needs to cost 24,000 baht a year for platinum. I thought the gold price was already pretty insane for what you get.

I actually like the movie channels they are adding--those are good ones. The stuff on the gold package (hbo/cinemax/etc) I rarely find anything watchable.

First downside is cost. For me it will be more practical to go the the theatre occasionally than fork out an extra 7000 baht a year for these platinium channels.

The other downside is the quality of the ubc satellite picture is currently pretty bad. They have the compression cranked up way past there being noticeble loss of quality (pixelation, shadows, blurriness, wrong colors, skipped frames). In order to get more channels, conventional wisdom says they are going to have to reduce the quality of the other channels to fit in the bandwidth. Besides further wrecking the picture quality, this could mean even greater susceptibility to blackout when it rains which is already a huge problem.

I can't understand why such a low quality offering needs to cost 24,000 baht a year for platinum. I thought the gold price was already pretty insane for what you get.

Good points. All one has to do is look at a satellite broadcast from Indonesia, for example, to see a great digital picture- for free!

UBC X-ZYTE is the worst. Even during camera pans, the picture breaks up, and the shadows sooo muddy.... Reminds me of watching DVD's made from Thai-copied analogue videos...

And I'm sick of those singers from the UBC reality tv show.... And that STUPID song, academy fantasia! :D

Now I feel better :o

Edited by Ajarn

why don't you buy a disk and put it on your roof, for a one time fee of bt.25,000 you can watch loads of channels free forever :o

Also, a new channel is being added to the existing packages and the price will increase slightly.

I think it's just a way of hiding the price increase on the other package, because everybody will be focusing on this new platinum package.

What price increase? The web site lists the same price for the Gold package as it is now: 1,412.97 with VAT included.

Lopburi, the OP said the existing packages will go up slightly, which probably means an extra 100 baht approx.

Lopburi, the OP said the existing packages will go up slightly, which probably means an extra 100 baht approx.

The OP was wrong; according to the web site, which lists the price.

What has changed is all the educational channels have been dropped and new channels will require digital equipment for those who now have the analog CATV converters - and guess will be paying for that? :o

Do you get a new digital set top box as part of the deal ? If that's the case, I suspect its just part of UBC's Evil Plan to make you pay to upgrade your box - so that UBC can start offering/charging you for new digital/internet services like movies on demand. They sent a letter around a few months back trying to persuade people to pay to upgrade their box to watch a couple of extra lame sports channels. It was a predictably lame dog deal and failed (also predictably).

Can anyone confirm the digital box is part of the deal ?

Edited by Crushdepth

Do you get a new digital set top box as part of the deal ? If that's the case, I suspect its just part of UBC's Evil Plan to make you pay to upgrade your box - so that UBC can start offering/charging you for new digital/internet services like movies on demand. They sent a letter around a few months back trying to persuade people to pay to upgrade their box to watch a couple of extra lame sports channels. It was a predictably lame dog deal and failed (also predictably).

Can anyone confirm the digital box is part of the deal ?

I've just checked their website, and it doesn't sound like you will get the digi-box. If you rent the equipment, surely they will upgrade it for you ? But if you purchased your equipment, you'll probably have to buy one yourself, and they ain't cheap.

I believe when UBC took TCM off their list, a lot of people were very disappointed.

Add to that British humor series like Fawlty Towers and Keeping up Appearances (BBC Prime), MGM and Animax and the 500 baht is well spent.

But then again, that's my opinion.

Edited by sniffdog

Take a look at the UBC REPACKAGE PAGE and see that the platinum package is a joke!

Platinum adds the following channels:

* Movies x 2 (MGM, TCM)

* Entertainment x 3 (StarWorld, E!, TVB(??))

* Kids x 1 (Animax)

* News x 3 (BBC-Prime, A1, STC(??))

No ABC-Asia Pacific which is what I was hoping for!!  :o

It sounds as thought they are trying to out gun the local cable companies with

Star World and A1.

Star World is much better than UBC Series!!

BBC Prime looks interesting.

We used to have TCM here. Very old films, and very repetitive.

Now I really will need timer control on the satellite receiver to make sure I record

the right channel at the right time!!