British Yachting Couple Attacked In Satun

saneroad

Search for body of murdered yachtsman goes on

The search for the body of a British yachtsman murdered by pirates is continuing off Thailand, the Foreign Office said on Friday, discounting earlier reports that a body had been found.

Thai police have arrested three migrant workers in connection with the murder of Malcolm Robertson, 64, and an attack on his wife, Linda, earlier this week.

"We had reports that a body had been found, but it's turned out to be a log," said a Foreign Office spokeswoman.

According to Thai law, suspects cannot face a murder trial without the discovery of a body.

The couple were attacked on their yacht anchored off the coast of Satun, a southern province bordering Malaysia, on Monday.

Robertson was beaten by his assailants with their fists and hammers and his throat slit before being dumped overboard, Thai police say.

Linda Robertson, 57, was stripped naked and tied up for hours below deck before she managed to escape.

- Reuters / 1 hour ago

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woman tells court of pirates ordeal in Thailand

A British woman told a courtroom today of her 10-hour ordeal on the family yacht after pirates boarded and murdered her husband.

From the witness box in the Provincial Court in Satun, southern Thailand - as the authorities sought a rapid conclusion to the case - grandmother Linda Robertson said: "They tied my hands and feet behind me. I did not resist them. I could not."

She said she did not see what happened to her husband, Malcolm: "I heard him shout 'Get off my boat!' and I heard the sound of a struggle. Then there was silence. I never saw my husband again after that."

In the dock were two of her attackers, Burmese migrant fisherman Aow, 18, and Ek, 19, who she claims first confronted her and then tied her up before going to her husband's cabin.

Mrs Robertson, 57, from St Leonards, East Sussex, said the youngest of the group, Ko, aged 17, who was appearing later today in a juvenile court, had been kind.

"He kept saying sorry all the time. And he stroked my feet which were in agony. I asked him if they were going to kill me and he said 'No'. I asked when they would leave and he pointed 9 o'clock on the cabin clock."

Thai naval vessels and planes were still searching for Mr Robertson's body. The three Burmese have only been charged with kidnap and theft. Thai police say all three have confessed to killing Mr Robertson, 64.

- Evening Standard (UK) / 2009-03-27

This is a very sad story. Most tragic for the couple and the ordeal they had to endure and the very tragic end. Probably also sad for the perpetrators, who it sounds like endured hardship in their lives--not an excuse for their behavior and certainly not a plea for leniency for them either--just a plausible explanation of why this tragedy happened.

Utterly disgusting, this from the Telegraph report:-

Thailand will not try pirates who killed British man for murder

Pirates who beat a British yachtsman to death with hammers will not be prosecuted for murder, Thai authorities have said.

Malcolm Robertson, 64, was beaten to death and thrown overboard during a hi-jacking on his yacht off Bintang Island in Tarutao National Marine Park on Tuesday morning.

His wife Linda Robertson, who was tied up during the attack on her husband, said she was in a 'state of total disbelief' at the decision not to charge his killers for the murder.

She was told officially that without a body no such charge could be brought, even though the three Burmese men, who boarded the family yacht Mr Bean, had confessed to the death, and the boat was covered in her husband's blood.

After testifying twice recounting step by step how she heard her husband being murdered, and how she stepped in his blood before making a final escape, she said she was shocked by the court's decision.

The chances of finding the body in the Bintang Island group, notorious for its switching currents, are getting slimmer.

Forget the Simon Burrowes case, forget the alcohol ban over Songkran Thailand's tourist industry is doing a Titanicesque death plunge.

Thailand, the new Zimbwabe, now we know what they mean by Land of Smiles. These people are too simple to comprehend the effects of their actions or, in this case, inactions.

I cannot for the life of me believe they would let these murderers go free with all the evidence they have.

But mai bpen rai, tourists ; Easy come easy go.

Thai authorities say they cannot find a body, but the copious amounts of the man's blood on the boat is, in effect, a body. If investigators just found a murdered person's liver or lungs, would they say there's no 'body' therefore no dead person?

Nobody contests the fact that the man has been killed. Even the kids admit to that. Why can there not be a murder prosecution? Obviously other reasons are getting in the way. Perhaps it's a political thing, where Burmese heads are pressuring Thai heads. Granted, this is Asia, where 'face' and money takes precedence over all else: such as fairness, doing the right thing, and justice.

Decades ago, I once chastised my mother for saying "in Asia, life is cheap." I now realize she was right.

THE widow of pirates' victim Malcolm Robertson was horrified to hear his killers cannot be charged with murder.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2346609.ece

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/investigat...5/terror-at-sea

Says a lot for the Bangkok Post when they have to start hiring reporters from Britain's The Sun newspaper. Charges of murder being or not being pressed, hold your horses before jumping to conclusions after reading Andrew Drummond made-up yarns knocked out to the British tabloids.

Edited by jacobbells

Illegal Burmese workers escape from oppressive work conditions on Thai fishing boat and commit a murder of a foreigner during their attempts to escape from 'slave labour' conditions. These work conditions are sanctioned and/or condoned by local Thai official and/or rich person in the fishing industry. Finding a body and thus having a capital crime involving a foreigner would attract even more international media attention. More reporters would see the official blind eye being turned at the huge business of human trafficking that the Thai 'government' and Burmese junta find mutually beneficial. Prosecute the minor offences only, otherwise the Thai fishing and construction industries may be adversely affected and the military (on both sides) would lose a pretty significant source of revenue.

Andrew Drummond also writes for the Times and the Evening Standard and many other British papers reported the story in the same way Andrew did so I think it's you who should hold your horses Jacobbells :o

What? Reported the same story in the same way; of course they would; it's only Drummond's story they got. Writes up a single yarn and sends it to every paper that's gullible to eat it.

For more Andrew Drummond exclusives, see his 'investigative" "undercover" reports on Gary Glitter in Pattaya, Sarah Ferguson getting her tits out on a private Phuket yacht and murdered Italian mafia who have their head sawn off (put in a bag) and left to dangle from Rama VIII Bridge.

Andrew Drummond also writes for the Times and the Evening Standard and many other British papers reported the story in the same way Andrew did so I think it's you who should hold your horses Jacobbells :D

What? Reported the same story in the same way; of course they would; it's only Drummond's story they got. Writes up a single yarn and sends it to every paper that's gullible to eat it.

For more Andrew Drummond exclusives, see his 'investigative" "undercover" reports on Gary Glitter in Pattaya, Sarah Ferguson getting her tits out on a private Phuket yacht and murdered Italian mafia who have their head sawn off (put in a bag) and left to dangle from Rama VIII Bridge.

:o:D

Not forgetting also Andy's superb News of the World report on UFO crashing on Cambodian border after being shot down by Thai airforce last year.

Ships going around Somalia are encouraged to have a couple of snipers on deck at all times, to pick off the pirates in fast inflatables. On a big ship, it's easy to hit your target; from an inflatable at speed, bloody near impossible.

In the interest of setting things straight, merchant ships are not allowed to carry weapons to arm the crew. International laws and all that...

I have read through 3 pages of crappy condolences. The victims can have mine as well. I doubt this is going to change anything, anywhere, any time... WHY the merchant and recreation craft are not allowed to have defense hardware onboard? The customs can check and verify the weapons upon each landing. The piracy is a worldwide problem. The victims are not only rich. Captaincy is a respected and trusted profession. A machine gun and a couple of bazookas on board would make life more difficult for pirates. Nobody really cares about victims beyond helpless words of condolences. Protecting one's life is a basic human right. It is NATURAL.

Surely the world isn't a safe place anymore... The biggest problem is when you try to defend yourself and the ones you love... then you will be the one charged and pointed as violent... God help us all...

I hope those bastards get as much as they gave this couple!!!

'I killed the farang with a hammer. Please tell the lady I'm so sorry': Burmese pirate confesses to murder of Briton on sailing trip

Daily Mail UK

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...iling-trip.html

Last updated at 3:36 AM on 29th March 2009

A teenager arrested after the murder of British yachtsman Malcolm Robertson has confessed to the killing from his cell – but may never be charged with the crime.

Fisherman Eksian Warapon, 19, admitted: ‘I did it. And I did it alone. First I knocked the farang [the foreigner] down with a hammer. Then when I was told that he was still alive I went back and hit him several times until I heard his skull crack.

‘If I ever get out of jail I’ll lead a good, proper life. Please tell the lady [Mr Robertson’s wife Linda] I’m so sorry. I know I do not deserve to live.’

However, Thai authorities say they cannot prosecute for murder because they do not have a body. Eksian says he threw Mr Robertson’s body overboard.

Eksian, known as Ek, said he was puzzled why he had not been charged with killing 64-year-old Mr Robertson. Ek and his ‘amateur pirate’ shipmates Aow, 18, and Ko, 17, have been charged only with kidnap, assault and theft.

Mr Robertson and his 57-year-old wife, from St Leonard's in East Sussex, had been sailing their yacht Mr Bean from Phuket in Thailand to the Malaysian island of Langkawi.

They were set upon after they moored off Butang Island in Tarutao National Marine Park on Tuesday.

Their assailants swam out to the mooring and attacked Mr Robertson as he tried to throw them off the boat.

Ek, who was born in Phuket to Burmese parents who were killed in a car crash when he was 14, said that he, Aow and Ko had been working aboard a Thai fishing vessel.

But he claimed that conditions were bad – with little or no pay and work that was too heavy for the teenagers to carry out – so they decided to jump ship.

Ek said: ‘Last week our fishing boat moored for the night between two islands off Satun. On one of the islands we could see a park ranger’s office and some sign of life, so we decided to swim there.

‘It was on the side of the boat that the crew couldn’t see. But after we jumped off the tide changed the boat’s position. It swung around 180 degrees so we had to swim around the boat and off with the current in the opposite direction to the other island, Butang.

‘But there was no food there. We didn’t eat for two days. We were marooned and we thought we would die there. On the third day we saw a yacht moored off the island and decided that at nightfall we would go there, try to get the yacht’s dinghy and take it to the other island and get some food.’

The yacht was the Robertsons’ 44ft ketch, which had taken the couple two thirds of the way around the world in their retirement from running their bakery business.

The pirates boarded the Robertson's 44ft ketch Mr Bean

They had moored off uninhabited Butang Island and had spent the day swimming and sunbathing.

Ek added: ‘At midnight we swam to the yacht and climbed on board. At first we all looked for food on the top of the boat but there was none.

‘Then I found a hammer and decided to go downstairs for food. I got down and turned right and found a torch. I opened a door and saw a woman sleeping there.

‘I quietly shut it before she woke up. Looking around again I found a knife and thought I could use that to cut away the dinghy from the yacht.

‘Then I heard a cough from in front and figured that the wife must have been sleeping in one room and the man in the other. First of all the man just turned over and didn’t wake up. I crouched down and then started looking for food again.

‘Then he turned over again and quickly sat upright. Our eyes met. He came towards me shouting and I struck him twice with the hammer, knocking him semiconscious.'

Brutal: Ek repeatedly hit Mr Robertson with this hammer until he heard his skull crack

‘He fell down and I went straight for the ladder. The lady must have heard because as I was going up she came out and screamed. I showed her the knife and shouted “Stop” in English. She stopped and I put her back into her room and tied her up.

‘I shouted for Ko to check to see if the man was dead. He said he was not dead. I told the boy to watch the lady and went to see the man.

‘As I went in he stumbled into me,’ said Ek, miming a head butt. ‘I was shocked and scared and hit him again with the hammer three or four times. On the final blow I heard a loud crack and he collapsed to the floor. I just used the hammer. I did not slit his throat as police have claimed.

‘After that we got the lady to start the boat. Then we sent her back to the room. We drove the boat for what seemed like only a couple of minutes before we put the engine on idle.

‘I went down with Aow and we pulled the body up to the top, put the legs over the side rails, lifted the body up and threw it off. I was worried people would see the blood on the boat. Now I don’t know why or how I could have done it. But none of us wanted the body on the boat.

‘From then on we ate everything we could find and decided to motor far away. When we got near to a port, which we found out was Satun, we decided to leave the ship. We locked Mrs Linda in the cabin, but we had loosened her ropes a little because she was complaining of the pain. Then we got into the dinghy. But it broke down a few yards away.

‘We tried to get back to the boat but she sailed away in front of us. After a while we got the outboard going and headed for shore. But we were picked up by the police very quickly.’

Malcolm and Linda were sailing the globe on their yacht Mr Bean

Last night Mrs Robertson said that Ek’s claims ‘leave me cold’. She added: ‘It’s easy to confess to a crime when you have been caught red-handed.

‘I am in disbelief that these men have only been charged with assault, theft and kidnap and not murder, not even manslaughter. However, if he gets 15 years or life it makes no difference to me.

‘The youngest of the three was the only person who showed any remorse. He brought me food and drink and stroked my feet which were in agony because they were tightly bound.

‘These people had a picnic on board the yacht and I could hear them laughing and joking as if they did not have a care in the world.’

She added: ‘I would rather think of the happy memories I had with my husband. Malcolm was a great kidder. He had everyone convinced that Rowan Atkinson sent him a sizeable cheque every year for using the name Mr Bean. Of course it was tosh, but he earned a few drinks out of that one.

‘I’m trying to close my mind to the bad memories and relive the fond ones.’

post-11344-1238304005_thumb.jpg

post-11344-1238304017_thumb.jpg

post-11344-1238304025_thumb.jpg

post-11344-1238304033_thumb.jpg

post-11344-1238304041_thumb.jpg

Surely the world isn't a safe place anymore... The biggest problem is when you try to defend yourself and the ones you love... then you will be the one charged and pointed as violent... God help us all...

I hope those bastards get as much as they gave this couple!!!

Here are some more insight infos from the wife of the victim (source of info is Latitude 38 a US sailing mag.)

Cruiser Murdered in Thailand

March 25, 2009 – Buntang Islands, Thailand

British cruisers Malcolm and Linda Robertson were anchored off the Buntang Islands in southern Thailand on Monday when three hammer- and machete-wielding pirates reportedly boarded their 44-ft steel Bruce Roberts cutter Mr. Bean. According to news reports, the teenage Burmese migrant fishermen claim that they were fleeing slave-like conditions on a Thai fishing boat and only wanted to steal the couple's dinghy. That doesn't explain why they went below decks, where Linda, 57, reports they were confronted by Malcolm, 64. "I heard my husband shouting, 'Get off my boat,'" recalled a distraught Linda. "I heard a scuffle and did not hear any more."

Linda recalls the trio tying her up and locking her in the aft cabin, while they motored the boat north. After a few hours, the boys needed to transfer fuel so they brought Linda out of the cabin. "I think this was the first time I realized Malcolm might be dead," she reported to the Daily Mail. "As I walked through the boat, I realized I was walking through his blood."

Linda recalls that the pirates stopped the boat and began ransacking it. She heard movements as if something heavy was being moved from the boat, later understanding that they'd thrown her husband's body overboard. At that point, Linda tried to escape but her captors just tied her up more tightly.

After several more hours of motoring, the boat stopped. Linda said the pirates moved her to a different cabin and then boarded the dinghy. "I managed to free myself and get out onto the deck," she said. She knew the dinghy motor would die so she hauled Mr. Bean's anchor and began motoring away, just as the pirates began paddling back toward her.

Linda managed to maneuver Mr. Bean next to a local fishing boat, whose operators then called for the police. Linda told them where to find the pirates, and officials quickly had them in custody. According to reports, they readily admitted their guilt.

The Robertsons, married for 24 years, had been cruising for the last decade, and had cruised Thailand for the last three seasons. "The Thai people have been very kind," Linda says. "They are lovely people and we do not blame them for all this."

It is a very sad story, but sailing is still a very safe past time, think about the hundreds of murder every day all the world!

RIP Malcolm, and Linda may God grant you relief in your greaving.

Illegal Burmese workers escape from oppressive work conditions on Thai fishing boat and commit a murder of a foreigner during their attempts to escape from 'slave labour' conditions. These work conditions are sanctioned and/or condoned by local Thai official and/or rich person in the fishing industry. Finding a body and thus having a capital crime involving a foreigner would attract even more international media attention. More reporters would see the official blind eye being turned at the huge business of human trafficking that the Thai 'government' and Burmese junta find mutually beneficial. Prosecute the minor offences only, otherwise the Thai fishing and construction industries may be adversely affected and the military (on both sides) would lose a pretty significant source of revenue.

Spot on, picked up two Cambodian escapees from a Thai fishing boat last year. They were the only two who could swim. They had been shanghied one year before and had seen other crew members dumped overboard. They were very scared at being handed over to thai authorities and finding themselves back with the fishing company or worse. the younger one was 15yrs old. The powers that be want this to go away. Many thai fishing boats are crewed by slave labour. You learn brutality quickly there. Not condoning this incident but condemning the cause. Hopefully some investigative journo will highlight it internationally. A bigger scandal than the Rohingyas in my opinion.

At the end of the video clip it looks like some Thai man tried to punch one of the perpetrators while the police were transferring him on land.

I wonder why, they don't like the Burmese nationals? Affects the tourism trade maybe... Would they do it to a fellow Thai if it was he who committed the crime?

Yes they would I watched a you tube video of a car crash here in thailand where a car rammed into the back of a pick up truck while rescue workers were loading a motorbike on the back of it a horrific crash he just ploughed into the pick up trucj apparently the guy hit lost his legs

Anyway while the cops cuffed the driver the friends of the injured one kept trying to attack the guy and got in a few good punches before the cops gained control

But in this case i highly doubt the Thai man was a friend of the deceased, i just never seen the Thais lash out before at another Thai for committing a crime against a farang.

Well I did!

A few years ago, some men (4) broke into my house. I was lucky enough to run away when I saw one of them (he did not see that I saw him because he was hiding behind a door) and I asked for help to a neighbour. The thai wife of my neighbour shouted when she saw them run away.

Half of the village started to chase these men. They found one and almost killed him. The police arrived just in time to stop them. Even like that, on the way to the police pickup, the villagers continued to hit the man. The police tried to protect him but the villagers were really too many and too angry. My idea is that they really wanted to show me what they thought about bad people! Later I heard that the man died in the policestation from his injuries. I don't know if this is true.....I also don't know if he was thai or burmese. There are a lot of illegal burmese workers around here. But, as you know certainly, there is even a rate that the constructors have to pay to the police to keep them......To go back to my story, I must say that about 3 weeks earlier somebody attacked me in my house and the police never found out who it was. So maybe the villagers wanted to protect me this time. I am a farang!

So, me, I am convinced that Thai people help farangs! And this was not the only time that I witnessed it!

Obviously what happened to that British couple is horrible to say the least but these are the times we are living in. If you walk into a ghetto wearing a Rolex your asking for trouble.S.E.Asian waters,particularly Sth Thailand and Malacca straits, have been for centuries the most notorious pirate hangouts in the world.Add to that depleted fishing stocks,Burma going into meltdown and harrasment of Burmese nationals and you have a dangerous mix for foreigners wishing to live their dream of sailing the world(unprotected).I know that back home in Australia the navy comes across pirates often in our Northern waters and there have been a number of yachts that have no crew left on board or attacked.My advice,stay on terra ferma and play tennis or golf,...more fun. I have taken many risks but only in business not with my life.

Have you any evidence to back up your implied comments of:

S.E.Asian waters,particularly Sth Thailand and Malacca straits, have been for centuries the most notorious pirate hangouts in the world :: what evidence have you of previous pirate attacks on private pleasure/lifestyle vessels in these waters in say the last 10 years?

I know that back home in Australia the navy comes across pirates often in our Northern waters and there have been a number of yachts that have no crew left on board or attacked:: Any links or evidence to back up any of these comments?

Thanks

If your going to go sailing your fancy rich yacht around dangerous seas close to the province of people starving with no money or possessions don't be surprised if your attacked!

Its like walking through a ghetto wearing a Rolex! what do you expect?

Really, soft rich white folk having 'an adventure' really should do more research and take more precautions.

Of course its all very sad and my commiserations go out to the family etc etc etc...but really!...stick to a boating lake in Surrey loves.

Possibly the most insensitive post i have read. Lets say these unlucky and unfortunate people invited you out for the day on their yacht some sailing followed by a BBQ on deck, fresh fish and some lovely red. What would you say ? err no thanks there are to many pirates around here? you would be on board in a heartbeat. These people were unlucky and their are 100'S of thousands of yachts sailing right now whilst you sit in your dingy room drinking chung. Better to have lived the life of your dreams then to be a wretched sad shadow of person like you probabaly are. Yachties anywhere will be a soft target for thieves. They are not soft,it takes big Kahoonas to cast off and sail the seven seas and the sailing community is very tight and definatly not all rich. He will be missed by many RIP at least you had an adventure Captain..

At the end of the video clip it looks like some Thai man tried to punch one of the perpetrators while the police were transferring him on land.

I wonder why, they don't like the Burmese nationals? Affects the tourism trade maybe... Would they do it to a fellow Thai if it was he who committed the crime?

Yes they would I watched a you tube video of a car crash here in thailand where a car rammed into the back of a pick up truck while rescue workers were loading a motorbike on the back of it a horrific crash he just ploughed into the pick up trucj apparently the guy hit lost his legs

Anyway while the cops cuffed the driver the friends of the injured one kept trying to attack the guy and got in a few good punches before the cops gained control

But in this case i highly doubt the Thai man was a friend of the deceased, i just never seen the Thais lash out before at another Thai for committing a crime against a farang.

Well I did!

A few years ago, some men (4) broke into my house. I was lucky enough to run away when I saw one of them (he did not see that I saw him because he was hiding behind a door) and I asked for help to a neighbour. The thai wife of my neighbour shouted when she saw them run away.

Half of the village started to chase these men. They found one and almost killed him. The police arrived just in time to stop them. Even like that, on the way to the police pickup, the villagers continued to hit the man. The police tried to protect him but the villagers were really too many and too angry. My idea is that they really wanted to show me what they thought about bad people! Later I heard that the man died in the policestation from his injuries. I don't know if this is true.....I also don't know if he was thai or burmese. There are a lot of illegal burmese workers around here. But, as you know certainly, there is even a rate that the constructors have to pay to the police to keep them......To go back to my story, I must say that about 3 weeks earlier somebody attacked me in my house and the police never found out who it was. So maybe the villagers wanted to protect me this time. I am a farang!

So, me, I am convinced that Thai people help farangs! And this was not the only time that I witnessed it!

Isn't it possible your intruder was Burmese? I believe Thais hate Burmese worse than they do westerners, not as much money....

• 7 months later...

Murder Of British Yachtsman: Trio Jailed

Three Burmese fishermen have been sentenced for the murder of British yachtsman Malcolm Robertson off the coast of Thailand.

Mr Robertson was hit with a hammer but his wife Linda escaped. The 64-year-old was bludgeoned with a hammer and his body thrown overboard while his wife Linda was tied up naked in a cabin after the Burmese migrants swam to the boat and climbed on board.

The couple had been sailing off the Andaman sea coast, near Thailand, last April.

Eksian Warapon, 19, and a shipmate known only as Aow, 18, were each sentenced to 25 years in jail at Satun Provincial court, the British Embassy in Bangkok confirmed.

A third Burmese, a 17-year-old known as Ko, will be held in custody until he reaches 24.

The court heard that the Burmese had been stranded on a small island after jumping ship from a Thai fishing boat because they had spent eight months at sea without being allowed ashore.

But the island offered no food and very little water.

Warapon, 19, said that all three were starving when the Robertson's yacht, Mr Bean, anchored offshore.

"The boat was our only way of escape. We did not want to harm anyone but Mr Robertson put up a fight," he said.

Mrs Robertson, 57, who with her husband owned a chain of cafes in Sussex, managed to escape while her captors were trying to get Mr Bean's dingy to work.

They had packed the dinghy with goods including computers and mobile phones.

Mrs Robertson said afterwards: "But they had only got 30 yards when the engine began to splutter as I knew it would.

"They turned and started coming back, so I rushed to pull up the anchor... then I put the boat into full throttle and headed out to see leaving them behind.

"Then I saw them head to shore and I knew my ordeal was over and I was safe."

Mrs Robertson said at her home in St Leonards, Sussex: "I am relieved they did not get the death penalty. Twenty-five years in a Thai jail will be hel_l on earth. It's another step towards getting over Malcolm's death."

A formal inquest will be held in Sussex next month.

10:34am UK, Sunday November 29, 2009

Sky News Online