Thailand Troops Enter Cambodia

Pierrot

From the BBC:

Thai troops 'cross into Cambodia'

Thai soldiers have reportedly entered Cambodia near a disputed temple where the two sides briefly exchanged fire last year.

A spokesman for Cambodia's government said that about 100 troops had crossed the border.

A Thai border commander denied there had been any troop movements and said there had been no increase in tension.

Thailand and Cambodia both lay claim to the temple area. Despite several rounds of talks, a settlement remains elusive.

Soldiers from the two countries have been stationed in the area since the clashes in July last year.

Temple tensions

Cambodian government spokesman Phay Siphan told reporters that Thai troops had gone about a kilometre into Cambodian territory.

"We are negotiating with their commanders to ask them to leave the area now because it is Cambodian territory," he said.

Col Pichit Nakarun, a Thai army commander at the border, denied any Thai troops had crossed the border.

"The situation is not more tense than usual," he told the Associated Press.

An international court awarded the Preah Vihear temple to Cambodia in 1962 but land surrounding it remains the subject of rival territorial claims.

Last year Unesco decided to list it as a World Heritage Site, reigniting lingering tensions over unresolved border disputes.

Thai troops moved into an area both sides claim after Cambodian guards arrested three Thai protesters there.

Both sides then rapidly increased their military presence at the site, and in October two Cambodian soldiers were killed in an exchange of gunfire.

-- BBC 2009-03-25

Edited by george

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewi...ticleid/3145671

iStockAnalyst Breaking News

PHNOM PENH, Mar. 25, 2009 (Kyodo News International) --

(Editors: UPDATING)

As many as 100 fully armed Thai soldiers have entered Cambodian territory near a disputed border temple, a spokesman for Cambodia's Council of Ministers said Wednesday.

Phay Siphan told Kyodo News the Thai troops crossed into Cambodia at 1:45 p.m. at a site known as Eagle Field where the Cambodian and Thai militaries had a tense confrontation last year.

Eagle Field is located about 2 kilometers west of Preah Vihear Temple.

Initial reports said the Thai troops plan to reoccupy the area, but the Cambodian side is trying to convince the Thai troops to return to their previous position about 800 meters away.

However, Thai army sources in Bangkok rejected Cambodia's accusation.

In late February, Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen met with his Thai counterpart on the sidelines of the ASEAN summit in Thailand, during which the two leaders reaffirmed their intent to solve the seven-month-old border dispute but set no deadline.

The area near the temple was the scene of a tense standoff between Cambodian and Thai armed forces that left several dead on both sides. The situation has since eased but the military presence remains.

The Cambodian government insists that Thai troops have deployed on Cambodian soil, while Thailand says its troops are only in a disputed zone.

Since the border issue erupted last year, many rounds of talks at different levels including defense and foreign ministerial levels have been held but a concrete agreement or solution has proved elusive.

(Source: iStockAnalyst )

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-03/...nt_11071868.htm

Cambodian spokesman: At least 80 Thai troops with arms enter border area of Cambodia

www.chinaview.cn 2009-03-25 18:08:04

PHNOM PENH, March 25 (Xinhua) -- At least 80 Thai troops entered the Cambodian territory near the 110-year-old Preah Viheartemple, spokesman of the Council of Ministers said here on Wednesday.

They arrived in our land about 01:40 p.m. (0640 GMT), with weapons in their hands, Phay Siphan told Xinhua by phone.

"Our army commanders have been discussing with them to ask them to go back to their own lands," said the spokesman, who is also secretary of state at the Council of Ministers.

There was no fighting so far, but both sides were on alert, he said.

The area they entered was called Veal Intry, about 900 meters to the northwest of the Preah Vihear temple, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, he added.

Thai soldiers once trespassed this area in July 2008 and exchanged fire with the Cambodian troops, causing death and casualty on both sides.

Rounds of senior-level talks have been conducted since then to seek peaceful solution for the long-standing border issue, but resulted in no major achievements.

Editor: Xiong Tong

From what I understand it's not Cambodian territory, it's a disputed area, Thais have as much rights to enter there as Cambodians who have been sqauatting there for years and even erected a temple.

Cambodian government has been regularly flaming up this issue, it looks like they want international community recognition of de-fact sovereignty over this disputed land.

From what I understand it's not Cambodian territory, it's a disputed area, Thais have as much rights to enter there as Cambodians who have been squatting there for years and even erected a temple.

Cambodian government has been regularly flaming up this issue, it looks like they want international community recognition of de-facto sovereignty over this disputed land.

Your assumption is very near the mark ! Go back to Cambodian incursions into Thailand over the centuries -- example when they kidnapped thousands of Thais around Korat to repopulate parts of Cambodia.

From what I understand it's not Cambodian territory, it's a disputed area, Thais have as much rights to enter there as Cambodians who have been sqauatting there for years and even erected a temple.

Cambodian government has been regularly flaming up this issue, it looks like they want international community recognition of de-fact sovereignty over this disputed land.

Obviously you don't understand then.

The temple was erected long before the French created the maps defining the border. That border had been a fuzzy one for generations before. The French attributed the temple to their side (since they occupied modern day Cambodia) with reasons since the temple is clearly Khmer.

The disputed land is the buffer zone around the temple, and is only about 4km2. The temple itself is in Cambodian territory and not in disputed land.

Unfortunately, neither side has been wise enough to see that by exploiting this area jointly they would both benefit more.

Many years ago my wife and I were going to Ko Chang when we were stopped be Thai soldiers and advised to turn back because Cambodian soldiers were in the area and were known to stop cars and steal whatever they could lay their hands on. We turned back.

Send in that mighty Cambodian Juggernaut army - arriving in Toyota pick up trucks. That will put the fear of God into them.

This headline is inflammatory and dumb. I get a TV Breaking News flash in the email, and immediately check the BKK Post and Nation websites, expecting to see some update on the situation. Instead, what do I find? Nothing, because is a non story.

Thanks Pierrot....Next time, just shout "Wolf Wolf Wolf" like you're supposed to.

Thailand must be in a worse economic situation than thought. Either that or the Government is more worried about the red-shirts than they say. Seems incredulous that this is happening one day before the big red shirt rally.

Nothing like the threat of a war to take people's mind of domestic problems and build unity.

Ummmm, then again, didn't we see that happen not long ago? Pardon my cynicism.

As pointed out, Cambodia will not back-down because everything says they have ownership of the temple. Time they taught Thailand a lesson about trespassing.

SUN TZU said:

“Fighting to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the supreme strategy. The supreme strategy is to win without fighting.”

SUN TZU ON THE ART OF WAR

THE OLDEST MILITARY TREATISE IN THE WORLD

Edited by german73

Send in that mighty Cambodian Juggernaut army - arriving in Toyota pick up trucks. That will put the fear of God into them.

This headline is inflammatory and dumb. I get a TV Breaking News flash in the email, and immediately check the BKK Post and Nation websites, expecting to see some update on the situation. Instead, what do I find? Nothing, because is a non story.

Thanks Pierrot....Next time, just shout "Wolf Wolf Wolf" like you're supposed to.

People in pick-up trucks have done a pretty good job at showing how ineffective the US military machine is in Iran and Afghanistan for the last few years so I wouldn't be making judgments based on the mode of transport the Cambodians might use. That of course comes after a rag-tag group of people in pyjamas and flip-flops chased the same military machine out of Vietnam. :o

It would be nice if it could be sorted out peacefully. But the nature of man is to fight, or go to war and it will be so a thousand years hence.

And the innocent people will suffer once again.

People in pick-up trucks have done a pretty good job at showing how ineffective the US military machine is in Iran and Afghanistan for the last few years so I wouldn't be making judgments based on the mode of transport the Cambodians might use. That of course comes after a rag-tag group of people in pyjamas and flip-flops chased the same military machine out of Vietnam. :o

EXCELLENT OBSERVATION! The world's greatest military machine I might add.

Many years ago my wife and I were going to Ko Chang when we were stopped be Thai soldiers and advised to turn back because Cambodian soldiers were in the area and were known to stop cars and steal whatever they could lay their hands on. We turned back.

Thanks for the heads-up. I hadn't planned on going - but now I will certainly stay away.

EXCELLENT OBSERVATION! The world's greatest military machine I might add.

:D :D :D

Nothing so great about Vietnam, Somalia, Iran or Afghanistan. Unless for the latter you mean allowing the greatest amount of opium to be grown and cultivated in the last 20-years to fund bearded warriors in pick-up trucks. And the toll of dead and wounded since "mission accomplished" was displayed is?

Perhaps greatest as in the greatest amount of military equipment to be abandoned (evacuation of Saigon) since the Germans lost Stalingrad?

:D

The Cambodian & Loas borders were set by the French a 100 years ago and Thailand reocuppied them in 1942 along with disputed provinces in the south ruled by the British until the Japanese invasion of Malaya in 1941. Must be all the American's fault then!

26_6_7.gif

Thailand must be in a worse economic situation than thought. Either that or the Government is more worried about the red-shirts than they say. Seems incredulous that this is happening one day before the big red shirt rally.

Nothing like the threat of a war to take people's mind of domestic problems and build unity.

Ummmm, then again, didn't we see that happen not long ago? Pardon my cynicism.

As pointed out, Cambodia will not back-down because everything says they have ownership of the temple. Time they taught Thailand a lesson about trespassing.

Absolutely spot on!

From what I understand it's not Cambodian territory, it's a disputed area, Thais have as much rights to enter there as Cambodians who have been squatting there for years and even erected a temple.

Cambodian government has been regularly flaming up this issue, it looks like they want international community recognition of de-facto sovereignty over this disputed land.

Your assumption is very near the mark ! Go back to Cambodian incursions into Thailand over the centuries -- example when they kidnapped thousands of Thais around Korat to repopulate parts of Cambodia.

Everyone needs to step back and take a deep breath, and while you are at it, read a book on Southeast Asian history. It was only just over a century ago that the western concept of the "nation-state" was imposed upon Southeast Asia. Before then it was spheres of influence, best referred to in Thai as "Muangs". There were no borders per se and any one area could come under the influence of one kingdom, or princedom, and then yet another at a later date. As for regional wars, most of the wars over the centuries were fought for people and not for land. The entire region was relatively underpopulated, so one side would go out and battle the other side and the winner would take back the artisans and skilled labor, as well as some farmers to help build up food surpluses and to be used for future corvee labor, the major form of taxation prior to the modern age. So certainly if you go back far enough you will find Khmers bringing back Thais, but as Khmer influence waned, you are more likely to read of Thais or Burmese raiding and taking captives back to their bases. Today there are far more Khmer speakers within Thai soil than Thai speakers within Khmer soil. So careful with the historical references, these current events are simply modern political maneuvers being made for modern domestic consumption.

Takes two to tango.

Look what half the countries in Europe have done over the centuries!

Israel continues to occupy Palestine quoting 2000 years ago.

I thought the UN had solved this in favour of Cambodia?

As has been said no war has broken out.

All against forum rules anyway.