Thailand Troops Enter Cambodia

Pierrot

Are there not much important issues to tackle in Thailand, than some dispute over some temple.

If Thailand was serious about the case, I presume they will send more than 100 soldiers.

Therefore I asked myself if the following scenario's could no be possible?

Was this action approved by the Thai government, or was it some stupid action of a local officer.

Are we sure that the Cambodian government did not knowing this was going to happen, I ask myself if it was not agreed at the last Summit to give Abhisit some breading space to tackle the red shirts.

Was the local Thai officer not paid by Thaksin to stir up things?

Or is it indeed about oil in the Gulf of Siam?

And who are the invaders, is the Khmer civilization and empire not much older than Thailand, In fact before Thailand even existed?

http://www.thailandsworld.com/index.cfm?p=277

This is the Khmer view.

http://khmerkromngo.org/map/khmerEmpire.htm

And finally: in the last 200 years dozens of borders have been reshuffled in Europe, due to war or by forced International or mutual agreements. Countries accepted it and move on. Its time Thailand does the same.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I first heard about this I thought what is happenning politically in Thailand, I didn't realise that the 'Red Shirts' were marching, has anyone got details of a time and place please......???

As for the Border incursion, one could perhaps believe that it's a cynical ploy to distract the media both Nationally and Internationally from those events the 'Red Shirts' are attending. Could this also be construed as close links between the Army and the PAD Govt..??. :o

.....that did occur to me too but then I thought anyone with common sense would never do that as it one more reason to scare tourists and trade away and cripple the economy as currently Thailand is on the front page of world news every second day and not for it's beautiful beaches, nice people or tasty food! I can see tomorrow's headline - "rioting in Bangkok and war on the border but no need to worry". Of course not!

Strangely this is not the case. When I read about the situation I looked at our local news, BBC, CNN, Fox and Sky and this morning I've read the national paper here and there was no mention of the incident on any of these 'news' sources. All I could get was Obama going on about the American economy! I don't really care about that at all but this incident seems news worthy.

Maybe part of New Zealand's free trade agreement with Thailand is not telling New Zealanders about the negative things going on in Thailand. I'll be over there in a week along with many friends I have invited. I hope things don't turn to sh*t before we get there!

"A Thai military spokesman said that there are only a few soldiers in the disputed area where troops from both sides have been posted since the clashes in October.

"There are nearly 100 armed Thai troops - fighting troops - who violated about one kilometre (just over half a mile) into Cambodian territory," Cambodian government cabinet spokesman Phay Siphan claimed."

Somebody doesn't have their facts straight. It seems difficult to mistake 'a few' for 'nearly 100'.

Time to burn it !

(with the pope inside maybe ?)

;-)

:o:D:D

And why is there always someone that has questionable brain power to find it funny??

If the Siamese cannot have it (ICJ ruling), why give it to the Khmer? Burn it is the best solution. I will call it lose-lose solution.

"People in pick-up trucks have done a pretty good job at showing how ineffective the US military machine is in Iran and Afghanistan for the last few years so I wouldn't be making judgments based on the mode of transport the Cambodians might use. That of course comes after a rag-tag group of people in pyjamas and flip-flops chased the same military machine out of Vietnam."

I understand you feel America is the evil empire but please get your history right. The people in pyjamas and flip-flops did not chase America out of Vietnam. The American Congress did that. The Viet Cong (people in pyjamas and flip-flops) were pretty much not the major problem. The regulars units of the North Vietnam army were. The corruption of the South Vietnam government was a huge problem. The famous scene on the roof of the American embassy occurred two years after American combat forces left Vietnam, after the American Congress stopped funds promised to Vietnam, and when North Vietnamese tanks rolled into Saigon.

When all is said and done Vietnam was a defeat in a battle in the Cold War but America won the war. America is still here, still the number one military power in the world, and Communism and the Soviet Union are in the trashcan of history. We have won the war in Iraq. Maybe at a higher cost than victory was worth but we have won. Obama , although I personally oppose him in general, is moving more troops into Afganistan so the result there is still unknown.

In the meantime Europe year by year becomes less relevant in world affairs and continues its decline.

"People in pick-up trucks have done a pretty good job at showing how ineffective the US military machine is in Iran and Afghanistan for the last few years so I wouldn't be making judgments based on the mode of transport the Cambodians might use. That of course comes after a rag-tag group of people in pyjamas and flip-flops chased the same military machine out of Vietnam."

I understand you feel America is the evil empire but please get your history right. The people in pyjamas and flip-flops did not chase America out of Vietnam. The American Congress did that. The Viet Cong (people in pyjamas and flip-flops) were pretty much not the major problem. The regulars units of the North Vietnam army were. The corruption of the South Vietnam government was a huge problem. The famous scene on the roof of the American embassy occurred two years after American combat forces left Vietnam, after the American Congress stopped funds promised to Vietnam, and when North Vietnamese tanks rolled into Saigon.

When all is said and done Vietnam was a defeat in a battle in the Cold War but America won the war. America is still here, still the number one military power in the world, and Communism and the Soviet Union are in the trashcan of history. We have won the war in Iraq. Maybe at a higher cost than victory was worth but we have won. Obama , although I personally oppose him in general, is moving more troops into Afganistan so the result there is still unknown.

In the meantime Europe year by year becomes less relevant in world affairs and continues its decline.

I thought you were making sense there for a second. Then I realised you have no clue. "We have won the war in Iraq." What an arrogant deluded statement to make. When George W annonced this several years ago he was wrong and you are wrong in saying it now. Obama is getting the hel_l our of there. No one will win this one. It will go down as a major loss for all involved - not least of all those that have lost their lives and their families.

"...The French attributed the temple to their side (since they occupied modern day Cambodia)..."

My suggestion: As a WORLD heritage, leave it to both parties and give it back again under French custody. As general manager I recommend: Mr Mowgli.

(Don't reply: I know that this is not a qualified or competent response :o )

God bless America. And dump the rest of the world. Me included.

From what I understand it's not Cambodian territory, it's a disputed area, Thais have as much rights to enter there as Cambodians who have been squatting there for years and even erected a temple.

Cambodian government has been regularly flaming up this issue, it looks like they want international community recognition of de-facto sovereignty over this disputed land.

Your assumption is very near the mark ! Go back to Cambodian incursions into Thailand over the centuries -- example when they kidnapped thousands of Thais around Korat to repopulate parts of Cambodia.

Why that should be an excuse for the current, Hun Sen government?

Obviously you don't understand then.

The temple was erected long before the French created the maps defining the border. That border had been a fuzzy one for generations before. The French attributed the temple to their side (since they occupied modern day Cambodia) with reasons since the temple is clearly Khmer.

The disputed land is the buffer zone around the temple, and is only about 4km2. The temple itself is in Cambodian territory and not in disputed land.

Unfortunately, neither side has been wise enough to see that by exploiting this area jointly they would both benefit more.

Not long ago Hun Sen issued an utlimatum that no Thais should enter the disputed zone.

He wants all of it, not just the temple.

I wasn't aware that we were in Iran and they sure didn't chase us out of Vietnam.

I presume you are a teenager or only look Fox news.

Indeed, in Iran the US so called elite corps showed total incompetence in their military action to liberate the American hostages in the American embassy in 1979. The Iranians kept them for 444 day's.

All the world witnessed the chaos on the rooftop on the US embassy in Saigon when desperate people tried to get in the last helicopters while the Vietcong troops entered the city. I can still remember how the US Navy pushed several helicopters over the side into the sea because there was no more place left for them, because the deck was packed with fugitives.

The Vietcong not only chased the US out of their country they humiliated them by their poorly armed army on flip-flops

May I add Somalia and Lebanon as 2 country where they chased away after a military debacle.

:o Alot of US bashing going on. No one can deny that the US has the most technologically advanced army in the world but to win a war and occupy a country whilsts avoiding civilian casualties and winning hearts is probably impossible in this day and age.

The US withdrew from the war in Vietnam because the US public was tired of the war and the gruesomeness. It was unpopular and going nowhere and a burden on taxpayers. Alot of people probably thought they should just butt out too. The flip flop rag tag army were effective in dragging the war out and NVA tacticians knew that. If they US decided to bomb north vietnam to kingdom come then probably they would have won (if such a word exists in intervening in civil war) but that wasnt a option since how could you explain it to the UN? The same goes for Somalia and Lebanon.

I think the point is war is hardly the best option out of a conflict. It does work to make alot of companies (think Haliburton etc) rich.

"This headline is inflammatory and dumb. I get a TV Breaking News flash in the email, and immediately check the BKK Post and Nation websites, expecting to see some update on the situation. Instead, what do I find? Nothing, because is a non story."

Or possibly a reflection of how these papers gather/braodcast the "news" - I suspect they are waiting for the official govt line.

"This headline is inflammatory and dumb. I get a TV Breaking News flash in the email, and immediately check the BKK Post and Nation websites, expecting to see some update on the situation. Instead, what do I find? Nothing, because is a non story."

Or possibly a reflection of how these papers gather/braodcast the "news" - I suspect they are waiting for the official govt line.

:D Did you sprain a finger or wrist when checking the websites.....maybe you can sue someone. :o

Have you ever thought about turning ur email notification off or batting off somewhere else :D ?

Edited by neverdie

Send in that mighty Cambodian Juggernaut army - arriving in Toyota pick up trucks. That will put the fear of God into them.

This headline is inflammatory and dumb. I get a TV Breaking News flash in the email, and immediately check the BKK Post and Nation websites, expecting to see some update on the situation. Instead, what do I find? Nothing, because is a non story.

Thanks Pierrot....Next time, just shout "Wolf Wolf Wolf" like you're supposed to.

People in pick-up trucks have done a pretty good job at showing how ineffective the US military machine is in Iran and Afghanistan for the last few years so I wouldn't be making judgments based on the mode of transport the Cambodians might use. That of course comes after a rag-tag group of people in pyjamas and flip-flops chased the same military machine out of Vietnam. :o

Are you really such an uninformed jackass as to think that the US military machine is ineffective? What are you basing this profound bit of wisdom on? And, by the way, have you ever checked out the score on that Vietnam thing? Anybody with half a brain knows that the only thing that ened that completely one-sided ass kicking was Jane Fonda and ignorant boobs like you. :D

Does anyone else find it ironic that a dispute over claims of ownership of a BUDDHIST temple has the armies of both countries ready to start shelling each other? :o

Not really! over time, how many wars have been started without Religion as the reason to fight.

Dave

Send in that mighty Cambodian Juggernaut army - arriving in Toyota pick up trucks. That will put the fear of God into them.

This headline is inflammatory and dumb. I get a TV Breaking News flash in the email, and immediately check the BKK Post and Nation websites, expecting to see some update on the situation. Instead, what do I find? Nothing, because is a non story.

Thanks Pierrot....Next time, just shout "Wolf Wolf Wolf" like you're supposed to.

People in pick-up trucks have done a pretty good job at showing how ineffective the US military machine is in Iran and Afghanistan for the last few years so I wouldn't be making judgments based on the mode of transport the Cambodians might use. That of course comes after a rag-tag group of people in pyjamas and flip-flops chased the same military machine out of Vietnam. :D

Define ineffective against the US as I'm curious to know how a pick-up is a war-winning weapon.

The US pulled out of Vietnam because of Nixon cutting a deal with the NVA commander HCM, which he later broke when he invaded. Everyone seems to forget that :o

This is a sabre rattling border clash, nothing more nothing less. Get used to it.

People in pick-up trucks have done a pretty good job at showing how ineffective the US military machine is in Iran and Afghanistan for the last few years so I wouldn't be making judgments based on the mode of transport the Cambodians might use. That of course comes after a rag-tag group of people in pyjamas and flip-flops chased the same military machine out of Vietnam. :o

- US haven't done anything in Iran.

- The alliance was very efficient in Afghanistan, much more so then even in Iraq, in general operations and trust building with the local leaders.

- US wasn't chased out of Vietnam due to warfare, iirc the kill-ratio was above 1:5 in US favour, it was purely a political defeat due to lost support from the voters.

But what does a journo' know...

Vietnam etc just assymetric warfare specifically weaker side achieving ends by use of PR and playing on electorates willingness to support an endevour rather than winning battes which become irrelvent if the other stuff works. Anyway off topic.

This little incident was Cambodia claiming Thailand sent troops onto its territory and Thailand saying it sent troops into disputed territory. There will be more of this until the issue gets sorted at the diplomatic/politcal level if indeed it ever does.

Can you keep your discussion of the US connected to this thread somehow?

There will be no war with Cambodia, it's implausible scenario, there will be no peaceful resolution either, not until Hun Sen is in charge, not until there's a major political shift in Cambodia. They've been stoking their nationalistic fires for years now, there must be some outlet for all the rage built up.

On international stage they are very demanding, but also very immature. Brats.

Does anyone else find it ironic that a dispute over claims of ownership of a BUDDHIST temple has the armies of both countries ready to start shelling each other? :o

Gee, ya -- this must be the first time in the history of mankind that blood has been shed over something related to religion. LOL

:D Did you sprain a finger or wrist when checking the websites.....maybe you can sue someone. :o

Have you ever thought about turning ur email notification off or batting off somewhere else ? :D

Thank you Neverdie. That's about the most intelligent post we've had for the last three pages - probably including mine :D .

The problem isn't a Buddhist tempel, but this place is inside thailand like a irland! And who countries want to have a place who other countries own and use! think if Frence have a temple+ land in england or japan have a temple + land in US etc. so when I think about that I'm agree with Thailand..

God bless America. And dump the rest of the world. Me included.

Does this not remind you of the movie Team America.....cue theme song.... *America - f#@k YEAH!*

Actually Cambodians claim that it's a Buddhist temple, built according to some special Buddhist principle of having five temples on mountain tops. According to this theory the temple was meant to be accessed from under the cliff, not from the plain on the Thai side. The ancient staircase and all other structures are later add ons, not originals.

No wonder Thailand is pissed off.

Couple of boy scouts gone missing again up at P.V. :o spent quite a bit of time over there in 92 and in Meanchy...wot a god for saken place.....anyway....just got some FREE tickets to the BITEC motor show.so..quick visit before our flights to the Mai me- thing....

Wife been telling everyone and sundry that the new TATA Nano is on sale for @90,000 Bts....and no one believe...Ho Hum,...Weathers nice ..init...