Time For Some Cricket - Hoorah

miltonbentley

After 51 long weeks of waiting the Chiang Mai Sixes starts at the Gymkhana Club this Sunday.

For me this is the best week of the year with hundreds of fun loving people in town some of whom are actually exceptional cricketers (although none in my team, the very flawed Stuffed Beavers CC :D ).

This is the 22nd year of the Chiang Mai Sixes and it is the world's foremost Sixes tournament with 34 teams from 14 countries. Sixes cricket is short, fast and furious and spectators will see some big hitting batting and first class bowlers. It is also great fun.

Whether or not you like or understand cricket I urge you to pop into the Gymkhana Club sometime next week (entry is free :D ) and see for yourselves.

:o:D

I and the woman attended last years "sixes". Had a great time. Went for 3 days.. :o

Being an American and having NO understanding of the game, I learned that it consisted of hanging around the bar eyeballin' the hotties serving the San Miq, learning new words in "Outback" language and eatin' sausages that were very tasty.

I quickly fell in love with this sport.

Still haven't figured out why you need a stick and colorful shorts and shirts though, just to hang 'round the bar...and every now and then these folks dressed in these clothes went over behind the bar,to what looked like some sort of play area, then they came back after awhile and again said that they had won...won what?

Then there was some yelling and cheering, and then the drinkin' would again commence.

Yep, I like cricket.

C-U there again this year....( next week )

I and the woman attended last years "sixes". Had a great time. Went for 3 days.. :o

Being an American and having NO understanding of the game, I learned that it consisted of hanging around the bar eyeballin' the hotties serving the San Miq, learning new words in "Outback" language and eatin' sausages that were very tasty.

I quickly fell in love with this sport.

Still haven't figured out why you need a stick and colorful shorts and shirts though, just to hang 'round the bar...and every now and then these folks dressed in these clothes went over behind the bar,to what looked like some sort of play area, then they came back after awhile and again said that they had won...won what?

Then there was some yelling and cheering, and then the drinkin' would again commence.

Yep, I like cricket.

C-U there again this year....( next week )

think of it as like baseball but with history and tea instead of footlong hotdogs and popcorn and everyone's a winner. a day watching cricket is never a wasted day. actually it is, as i intend to be fairly wasted personally. so perhaps a well-spent day. :D

my goodness jonners what an indubitably splendid afternoon we had spent sitting in the sunshine and drinking cold beer. not to mention the cricket. if anyone has time on their hands in chiang mai this week coming they could worse spend it than a visit to the sixes. bally stuff.

i believe that proceedings commence at around 10am but the highlight of the day, the stuffed beavers giving a lesson, is at around 2pm. there really is some fine quality cricket being player by the way, well worth a gander.