Bkk Tailor

puanddavid

Hello,

Coming to Bangkok next week and I'll be looking for a good tailor with good prices. I've used a tailor in BKK before, but my wife swears I got ripped off. Need contemporary styles, excellent fabric, good price.

Thanks!

Edited by puanddavid

The two I got on my last trip have held up pretty good, although my waistline hasn't kept its end of the bargain. I honestly don't remember how much I paid, but it was like $600 US for two suits, 5 shirts, 5 ties (2006). My wife is Thai, and she says I paid too much. Not because she knows anything about how much a suit costs, but because I was referred by a Tuk Tuk, and got a good buzz from all the beer they served me while they were taking measurments :o .

If anyone recommends a tailor, please include contact details if you know them. Website would be great!

Thank you!

Edited by puanddavid

Over the years I have had a number of things made at Raja's Tailor located on Sukhumvit Road, Soi 4 opp. the Nana Hotel. Always top quality and life time alterations are free. Dont know if they have a website but try google to see.

There is a tailors on suk soi 11/1 called Designers collection that I have used for about six years. They must have made about a dozen suits for me in the past.

Tried a few other tailors but they didn't get it right.

Important to understand that all the suits are actually made in the same sweatshops. And you have to know what style you want and what fabric you like.

The chaps on 11/1 have some quality material and spend a lot of time making sure they get it right. They know how to measure and won't take the money until you are satisified (obviously you need to leave a small deposit)

Some of the big fancy looking stores on suk road sell the worst suits, as they have so much custom they pay no attention to detail nor care about repeat customers.

As for price I would expect to pay around 10k or upwards for a decent tailored suit in Bangkok.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

like a poster said above, this could turn into a long thread. and it will!

You've already got about 5 choices up there..here's a 6th to add - Crown Tailors - sukhumvit soi 8.

I think, since all the shops are pretty much about 5 minutes walk from one another, you might as well spend an hour walking around to all the places and find out which shop you're most happy with! Or, choose two shops, and try both out to know which you like better for the next time :-).

Hello,

Coming to Bangkok next week and I'll be looking for a good tailor with good prices. I've used a tailor in BKK before, but my wife swears I got ripped off. Need contemporary styles, excellent fabric, good price.

Thanks!

Just look for a sticker "Taylor of the year 2010".

As all the the suits are made in 1-2 hangars outside of Bangkok, the taylors differ in 3 things only:

1. How much they rip you off

2. How much cheaper and inferior the final fabric is from what you were shown

3. How much more complicated delivery gets as your departing date (and time) approaches

Too late for your trip, but just my two cents.

I had a good experience with Majestic Tailors in 2008, inside the Majestic Suites hotel (a fine budget hotel) on Sukhumvit between Soi 2 and 4, a few doors away from Rajawongse. Had 3 suits, an overcoat and 6 shirts made last year. Cost was 1250 Euros altogether, so they are not the cheapest. But the quality and service are great.

The overcoat (Cashmere, probably a Cashmere-wool blend) and the shirts (two-ply cotton, no shrinkage) were great from the beginning.

I rushed them at the end, missed a crucial fitting, and the suit jackets turned out to be somewhat asymmetrical, which I only found out after returning home. Which just proves that you should give your tailor enough time and fittings to make you a fine suit. I returned this year for another holiday and they adjusted them at no charge. The cut is fine (no big shoulder pads, actually looks very European) and so is the material.

You should take a look at their shop, which is spacious and stores a good selection of fabrics.

They happen to be very friendly and honest people. They do not bargain nor do they do any business with tuk-tuk drivers, but depend on word-of-mouth. They travel to the Netherlands every year and have a lot of customers from the Dutch foreign ministry. They showed me a book with business cards and orders, and told me some details on our domestic (Dutch) public transport system which proved they had really been there :-) I'll certainly pay them another visit next year.

Their website is at www.majesticsuites.com

Both the hotel and the tailor are highly recommended

dabird, Holland

• 2 weeks later...
Too late for your trip, but just my two cents.

I had a good experience with Majestic Tailors in 2008, inside the Majestic Suites hotel (a fine budget hotel) on Sukhumvit between Soi 2 and 4, a few doors away from Rajawongse. Had 3 suits, an overcoat and 6 shirts made last year. Cost was 1250 Euros altogether, so they are not the cheapest. But the quality and service are great.

The overcoat (Cashmere, probably a Cashmere-wool blend) and the shirts (two-ply cotton, no shrinkage) were great from the beginning.

I rushed them at the end, missed a crucial fitting, and the suit jackets turned out to be somewhat asymmetrical, which I only found out after returning home. Which just proves that you should give your tailor enough time and fittings to make you a fine suit. I returned this year for another holiday and they adjusted them at no charge. The cut is fine (no big shoulder pads, actually looks very European) and so is the material.

You should take a look at their shop, which is spacious and stores a good selection of fabrics.

They happen to be very friendly and honest people. They do not bargain nor do they do any business with tuk-tuk drivers, but depend on word-of-mouth. They travel to the Netherlands every year and have a lot of customers from the Dutch foreign ministry. They showed me a book with business cards and orders, and told me some details on our domestic (Dutch) public transport system which proved they had really been there :-) I'll certainly pay them another visit next year.

Their website is at www.majesticsuites.com

Both the hotel and the tailor are highly recommended

dabird, Holland

Thanks for the tip! I am in BKK now and I am Dutch, so very good to know. Will give them a call first ( need to get my old wintercoat copied!)

Been walking around, but I can't seem to find good fabrics for a wintercoat. Where to go besides Majesticsuites? (haven't been there yet)

People often recommend buying your fabric in Chinatown. Haven't tried myself, but you may search this forum for tips. Or the Tripadvisor Bangkok forum (http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g293916-i3687-Bangkok.html).

Good luck!