Riding Bikes Makes You More Brainier (apparently)

spud1

As far as I'm aware this 'bike' forum was set up to cater mainly for bigger cc bike owning farangs from CBR150 upwards.

OT

I do struggle to comprehend how a scooter/moped riding farang is an actual biker as the differences are quite apparent and vast.

Motorcyclist? Most certainly. Biker? I don't really think so. Not unless you're actually using a degree of skill and clutch control IMO.

Added considerations include larger cc engines, more weight to deal with and so on.

Simply riding a bike with a clutch makes you more of a biker than grandad pension-drawing-expat on his way to 7/11 on a wave.

Indeed I go as far to say that if this forum is to move onwards then maybe there ought to be sub-forums for sportsbikers and another for clutchless bikes.

Otherwise these rivalry's will trundle on between the hobby-horse machines and the real bikes out there :o

I say again.

Loud pipes save lives :D

Does any of that relate to either the OP topic or the one we had veered off into? Or are we heading off at another tangent about what we define a biker to be?

If you read trough all the posts in this thread, you will see I wrote that I have no problem with other opinions at all. You will also see that I do a live and let live deal so I do not know what your on about. You are "Against" loud bikes you say, I am not against quiet, loud or anything, I am just against people who does not accept the fact that this is a diversified world we live in and sometimes one must accept other does things which we personally do not like. E.g. you are against loud bikes, and claim it is only selfish dickheads who like to make noise, and claim that some of the reasons such as safety is a lie and not valid.

We is me and my mates :o Good guys all of them...

To use emergency signal all the time as they do in Vietnam is annoying due to the fact you are expecting an emergency when they use it, a loud exhaust does not scream emergency big difference man... I do not tell them to stop though as it's there way of driving, and as soon as you get used to it, it's not a big deal anymore. At first you jump as you expect someone to hit you, which is annoying but when you figure out it's there way of driving you ignore it and move on.

Reason I use buses and trucks and all other vehicles is that they share the road with us, some of them are more noisy than bikes will ever be able to be. So I brought it up to show that the bikes are not and will never be the noisiest vehicles on the road in Thailand, so if it's a big deal with noisy bikes it should be even more of a bigger deal with them for you.

Cheers Bard

Cheers Bard

I am just against people who does not accept the fact that this is a diversified world we live in and sometimes one must accept other does things which we personally do not like. E.g. you are against loud bikes, and claim it is only selfish dickheads who like to make noise, and claim that some of the reasons such as safety is a lie and not valid.

If somebody else's choice is being forced upon another, i don't agree that they must simply accept that.

People used to have to accept that smokers had their right to smoke in indoor public places. How fair was that - for people to have to inhale what others smoked?

Likewise, how fair is it that because a local hoon has decided to modify his bee's nest to produce a deafening din, that i should have that sound intrude on my peace at home as he thrashes it past at high speed? It's about consideration and basic courtesy for your fellow man - something some know little about - or they simply don't give a toss.

(BTW - i suspect that none of the members of this forum are the types of people i'm refering to here - nor do their machines produce the type of noise that offends)

Remember where you are Rivalex.

Expecting a carbon-copy of the nice and cosy west isn't really a factor here.

Accept it and move on.

OT (that means off-topic btw, something I actually put on the prevoius post.) :o

People didn't have to go to the smokey places either. As a proud smoker I lament the PC whingers who have tarred all smokers with the same brush and taken away individual liberty to smoke inside the bars. How fair is that? With a decent vent system the smoke wouldn't be a big problem.

/OT

Edited by JimsKnight

I have heard a lot of loud bikes in Thailand but they are quiet compared to a lot of buses and trucks with straight exhaust, also a lot of cars are much noisier. I never get problems on the phone unless I stay outdoor next to the road, just stepping into a nearby shophouse makes a big difference. I have one office right next to the main road, with single glazing and no never ever had a problem at all.

You dont live near some of the idiots in my old town then..

Ageing guys who seem to need to blip the trottle and roar it around purely for attention.. Borderline sad TBH.. And doing the same thing when coming home at 3 or 4 am is not making for good neighbours.

Put me in the camp that says LOUD PIPES = ANTI SOCIAL. There is a reason why theres road use and race use cans in a society with rules.

So maybe you're very sensitive and fragile, but I can't understand your problem as I do live in this country as well. And the super loud straight exhaust trucks and buses can't ruin a phone call in the office 2 meters from the main road, and bikes with there way less cc are unable to create the same mayhem cannot create as much noise.

They dont tend to rev the shit out of it when leaving or even passing the local bar to announce their presence.. Or drive down tiny side sois at 3am tho do they.

Edited by LivinLOS

Indeed I go as far to say that if this forum is to move onwards then maybe there ought to be sub-forums for sportsbikers and another for clutchless bikes.

Otherwise these rivalry's will trundle on between the hobby-horse machines and the real bikes out there :o

I say again.

T-Max ?? Silver hawk ?? Majesty ?? Sonic / X1 / etc.. Vespas and classic scoots..

I mean I get what your saying.. but 2 wheels makes a bike.. And everything in between gets very grey very fast..

People didn't have to go to the smokey places either. As a proud smoker I lament the PC whingers who have tarred all smokers with the same brush and taken away individual liberty to smoke inside the bars. How fair is that? With a decent vent system the smoke wouldn't be a big problem.

In whose opinion ??

OT (that means off-topic btw, something I actually put on the prevoius post.) :D

Thanks Jim. Yes i know what it means and i had noticed it in your previous post. I just wondered whether there was a reason for bringing up the point at that particular time - like perhaps you were questioning the status of people commenting on here?

:o

People didn't have to go to the smokey places either. As a proud smoker ...

Proud smoker? I'm a smoker too, but i'd never describe myself as proud. What's to be proud about? It's a dumb thing to do but we all have the free-will to make the choice - providing that is that it doesn't affect other people who choose not to. Why impose our decision on others? Smoking in public places is doing exactly that. That's what i would describe of as being unfair.

Ohh going more OT here now.

Smoking, best place in the entire world now is Singapore with dedicated smoking and non-smoking sections in the restaurants and bars well done. I smoke myself and don't want to ruin others atmosphere, but I loathe the no smoking at all areas around the world, way to go Singapore who figured out there is a need to satisfy two camps.

Let's think about consideration since that was mentioned, to rev a loud bike in living areas is inconsiderate I agree and don't think many switched on people do so. Then if someone has a loud exhaust it require some tact, that's all. Again the anti-loud people could be considerate but accepting these people, or as proven let them run into dog, people and even crash themselves hurting animals, people and property.

The biggest problem is drunk drivers on bikes in the evening, and tourists who never been on a bike before. They get all macho rev like morons, and ride in unacceptable speeds in living areas at night. Cut the alcohol and you solve the inconsideration a lot. Booze and bikes does not match!

So LivinLOS and rixalex, fight the drink and riding and you'll not get bugged by the 3 o'clock idiots, don't generalize as there is a lot of serious bikers who do have loud bikes but show respect with there bikes, sadly the drunk dickheads do what they do and hopefully the cops can start nailing them for the drink and riding so it ends.

On my bike I can wake up the neighborhood with the stock quiet system by revving it hard so the quiet one can do just as much harm, however I don't and the "loud" aftermarket does not give a higher dB in low rev so people say they can't really hear me when I ride in and out of the area.

Cheers Bard

Well said Bard.

OT again!

Yeah I'm a proud smoker, sorry if you've a problem with that, but I don't follow the sheeple's blind acceptance of a government cronies.

Maybe you can't control you're intake of nicotine but I sure can :o

Moderation is the key, just like drinking the amber nectar :D

Drinking is the killer, both long and short term if we don't keep the throttle steady :D

When the big cancer bs is from people who smoke like chimmneys and or are predisposed to it and are under the thumb of government shills and assuming 'experts'

Edited by JimsKnight

Yeah I'm a proud smoker, sorry if you've a problem with that, but I don't follow the sheeple's blind acceptance of a government cronies.

Don't have a problem with it, just think it's a daft thing to be proud of. Up to you.

Maybe you can't control you're intake of nicotine but I sure can :o

I can actually, but i'm not sure what that has to do with anything, or what it proves?

Moderation is the key, just like drinking the amber nectar :D

Drinking is the killer, both long and short term if we don't keep the throttle steady :D

I agree, but it's rather stating the obvious isn't it?

When the big cancer bs is from people who smoke like chimmneys and or are predisposed to it and are under the thumb of government shills and assuming 'experts'

Translation please.

The biggest problem is drunk drivers on bikes in the evening, and tourists who never been on a bike before. They get all macho rev like morons, and ride in unacceptable speeds in living areas at night. Cut the alcohol and you solve the inconsideration a lot. Booze and bikes does not match!

Now Bard, I love you man, you know I really do, but hearing you say that booze and bikes don't match... that's pretty hilarious! :D:wai::D:D:D:o

bardsterSSR.jpg

Happy Trails!

Tony

Any hoo...

Not that we all have kissed and made up (I'll be getting my coat now!)

Back On Track.

Does riding bikes make you brainier?

PS I owned until recently an 05 Aprilia Factory, race mapped with a full Akropovic pipe.

I had to ease out on Sunday mornings for my canyon rides from my settled condo area.

But once out in the farm country....:o

We still need to be considerate in urbanized areas, IMO.

I'm not sure I can comment here, I have a small capacity motorcycle (with a clutch), but I don't smoke nor drink.....sometimes I like loose women :D .

As far as loud exhausts go, I have a stock standard jobby on at the moment....but as I often blast the machine along the back roads, ive probably blown a bit of the db killer out the hole :D .

As far as the original topic goes.... I have been riding bikes, almost daily for about 30 something years & I'm an absolute brainiac :o

Yes biking makes you brainier of course it does, same as VDO games does. It does not make you more intelligent but it makes your brain take decisions faster, it speeds up your processor how's that.

Tony me and booze, well ehh dude I am a cultural drinker, you know I'm a Viking and all :o Now I don't misbehave when I drink soooo... :D

Cheers Bard

All I know is, I've been riding near daily for 40+ yrs, with only a few absent interludes.

I know my hand eye foot coordination is passable...having survived this long. Harrumph, only 2 life threatening crashes in many years of touring and riding. Dirt riding- hey crashing is why we do it! That's why I don't do it anymore :D

No helicopter rides or major reattachments of limbs, just yet. Knock on wood.

I'm certain that is what has made me the Rocket Scientist that I am today............ :o

I'm sure there must be some benefit, but I wouldn't characterize it as an IQ enhancement.

More a pleasant thing to do that engages the mind on multiple levels.

• 3 weeks later...
Loud pipes save lives!

You hear us coming and you groove on outta the way :o

Loud pipes cause aggravation and road rage.

If a Harley comes up to me in a hurry revving his loud pipes I get pissed off and I would go out of my way not to let him by.