Do i need a degree to teach in high school ?

you definitely need a degree to teach in a school and more so to get a teaching licence. i think you can only get 2 2year waivers and then you are out. gotta check to be sure. i have had my five year licence for 15 years now so not sure about temporary waivers. language schools have different requirements

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Also, do you think there is demand for teachers anything else than English in Issan?

Think your right Celsius---just the basic English for Issan..... & as N00dle pointed out to me, I just rattled off my other reply with out reading about his French (I think) teaching ability.

3 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

No you dont need a degree steph83....but will probably get lower pay rate---

Don't they need a degree to get a work permit, non-immigrant visa and social insurance?

No degree, no work permit no visa tied to it, right? 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Yes. Many high schools will include French, some include German, within their language department.

My son is in high school now, at his international school it's only English or Chinese. If a "better" international school is going to teach French, German, Italian, etc, I'd expect them to want their teachers to have a degree. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, bbko said:

My son is in high school now, at his international school it's only English or Chinese. If a "better" international school is going to teach French, German, Italian, etc, I'd expect them to want their teachers to have a degree. 

Not international schools. 

Thai government schools.

Those teaching French and German have degrees.

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2024 at 12:20 PM, bbko said:

Is there a demand for Thai high school students to learn French?

Check with catholic schools, but all schools have a "language stream", and often, French is one of the choices.  But often they use Thai teachers for teaching French. We have never had a French native speaker teaching French.

On 1/13/2024 at 2:51 PM, JeffersLos said:

Don't they need a degree to get a work permit, non-immigrant visa and social insurance?

No degree, no work permit no visa tied to it, right? 

In the past, more remote schools would skirt the law. I don't know if that happens these days. Anywhere near Bangkok, schools are very strict about this. 

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

In the past, more remote schools would skirt the law. I don't know if that happens these days. Anywhere near Bangkok, schools are very strict about this. 

It's not up to the schools or their l9cation.

Anyone without a degree will not get the documents required from Teachers Council of Thailand to be able to obtain correct visa status snd a work permit. Unless they teach at a language centre or University.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 12:20 PM, bbko said:

Is there a demand for Thai high school students to learn French?

I used to be an English teacher. I also speak passable French. I used to teach French as an optional extra for Matayom students a couple of hours a week after 3.30pm. The school offered it as an extra curricular class, students (parents) booked it through the school, and I got paid for those extra hours every month in cash. It all came about because we had a french child join the school. She had no Thai or English. The only French speakers in the school were me and the Principal ( Reverend Mother - a nun). I always sat outside to eat my packed lunch and the child used to come and chatter to me in French, some of her classmates watching on. It sort of turned into an informal lesson. The French child picked up Thai within the first semester, which was just as well as whenever I had a free period the older teachers used to march in with her in tow, demanding I explain things to her. In the end the Principal started offering the French lessons. She also got me to show the teachers some of the techniques for teaching a child a foreign language - there are techniques TEFL teachers will (should) know. That was a waste of time - with a couple of exceptions they simply weren't interested.

49 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Legally employed teachers at language centers don't need a degree to get a work permit etc?

I find that hard to believe. 

They do not need documentation from Teacher's Council as language centes are not controlled by OBEC.

Labour departments don't always check degree status or verify degrees. 

10 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Anyone without a degree will not get the documents required from Teachers Council of Thailand to be able to obtain correct visa status snd a work permit. Unless they teach at a language centre or University.

So every foreign teacher in every k-12 school in Thailand is legally employed with a teacher's licence, degree and work permit? Is this what your are saying? Because I'm quite certain there are many teachers in far flung places working illegally in schools (Pathum Thani a couple of years ago, when a foreign teacher was found abusing kids). And that is hardly out of the way!

12 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

If as was mentioned earlier, by another literally any degree will do , its all a bit of a joke isn't it ?   I understand that they have to try to maintain some minimum level of  intelligence when hiring teachers, but is the simple possession of a degree in "anything" the best way of setting the bar ? Shouldn't they have a teaching qualification?

Some of the misfits the uni's turn out these days with their gender studies and applied social sciences "degrees" are hardly capable of stringing a coherent sentence together, the woke ones actually don't speak normal English.  i heard stories that incorrect spelling was no longer penalised, if true those sorts are hardly fit to teach anything , not withstanding no teacher training and no teaching experience 

What possible use is my degree in civil engineering  from over 40 years ago when it comes to teaching English, or anything else for that matter?    none whatsoever is the answer   

The whole thing has some sort of blinkered  academic elitism about it       There are probably plenty of native speakers who didn't bother or didn't need a Bachelor's degree earlier in life who could easily  obtain some sort of TEFL qualification  and become perfectly capable teachers.It seems totally illogical to exclude them.  Perhaps the "real teachers" are afraid of the competition ?

If they apply the same principals to their own "teachers" it pretty much explains the state of the education system  here   especially considering that "who ones father is"  could guarantee a "pass",  probably without even turning up 

In the Uk apparently its virtually impossible to sack a teacher for being useless,  they can pretty much only be sacked for abusing kids    is it the same here, ?  wouldn't surprise me , few uniform wearers ever get sacked for incompetence  from what I've seen

Edited by Bday Prang

4 hours ago, DavisH said:

So every foreign teacher in every k-12 school in Thailand is legally employed with a teacher's licence, degree and work permit? Is this what your are saying? Because I'm quite certain there are many teachers in far flung places working illegally in schools (Pathum Thani a couple of years ago, when a foreign teacher was found abusing kids). And that is hardly out of the way!

No, I'm not saying that.

Edited by youreavinalaff

3 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

If as was mentioned earlier, by another literally any degree will do , its all a bit of a joke isn't it ?   I understand that they have to try to maintain some minimum level of  intelligence when hiring teachers, but is the simple possession of a degree in "anything" the best way of setting the bar ? Shouldn't they have a teaching qualification?

Some of the misfits the uni's turn out these days with their gender studies and applied social sciences "degrees" are hardly capable of stringing a coherent sentence together, the woke ones actually don't speak normal English.  i heard stories that incorrect spelling was no longer penalised, if true those sorts are hardly fit to teach anything , not withstanding no teacher training and no teaching experience 

What possible use is my degree in civil engineering  from over 40 years ago when it comes to teaching English, or anything else for that matter?    none whatsoever is the answer   

The whole thing has some sort of blinkered  academic elitism about it       There are probably plenty of native speakers who didn't bother or didn't need a Bachelor's degree earlier in life who could easily  obtain some sort of TEFL qualification  and become perfectly capable teachers.It seems totally illogical to exclude them.  Perhaps the "real teachers" are afraid of the competition ?

If they apply the same principals to their own "teachers" it pretty much explains the state of the education system  here   especially considering that "who ones father is"  could guarantee a "pass",  probably without even turning up 

In the Uk apparently its virtually impossible to sack a teacher for being useless,  they can pretty much only be sacked for abusing kids    is it the same here, ?  wouldn't surprise me , few uniform wearers ever get sacked for incompetence  from what I've seen

I agree with some of your points.

There has to be some sort of standard. Thai authorities chose a university degree.

TEFL, is not great if achieved in Thailand. Many "schools" that offer the course are only in it for the money and the training is lax at best.

15 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

TEFL, is not great if achieved in Thailand. Many "schools" that offer the course are only in it for the money and the training is lax at best.

most of those who actually teach tefl arent even teachers themselves. so totally agree

On 1/13/2024 at 12:16 PM, Celsius said:

Also, do you think there is demand for teachers anything else than English in Issan?

Not in Issan, but I have taught in two government Mathayom schools that reasons beyond me have run French courses. the teachers were Thai. The teachers all had a good ability having studied in France for some time, they would talk with the French English teachers :D

I know of one native French teacher working in a Khon Kaen high school - most prestigious mathayom schools will have a couple of foreign language classes other than English, for example French, German, Korean or Chinese.

Not saying there are lots of jobs from French native speakers, but they do exist.