Must Do`s In Issan

junki3korean

To you guys in the North East,

I`ll be in Khon kaen in just under 2 weeks, For song kran :D -meet the parents :o , What are some things I must see and do around issan....first time so vexcited :D But very limited time have only 1 week!

also is it safe to ride around on a bike?? I`ve heard bad things........

Thanks guys

Andy

Edited by junki3korean

To you guys in the North East,

I`ll be in Khon kaen in just under 2 weeks, For song kran :D -meet the parents :o , What are some things I must see and do around issan....first time so vexcited :D But very limited time have only 1 week!

also is it safe to ride around on a bike?? I`ve heard bad things........

Thanks guys

Andy

Khon Kaen has a great entertainment area close to the Kosa hotel. they have great night-life in that area, live music clubs (Thai) and some farang restaurants. however, unless you speak Thai, i think your options might be a bit limited.

steve

If you stay in Khon Kaen its worth visiting the Sofitel.The only 5 star in Isaan its got a nice bakery and restaurant and,more importantly,its got its own micro-brewery.

When I've stayed there they used to have a buy one get one free between 4pm to 6pm which is worth checking out !

Heading out of Khon Kaen towards Udon you take a left turn for the Ubonrat dam and further on,on the other side,there is a cobra farm on the way to Kranuan.

If you get a chance its worth visiting Nong Khai and the Mekhong River valley which is very scenic but over 100 miles from Khon Kaen.

If you have access to ENCLOSED transportation during Songkran (rented good quality Van with driver perhaps?) consider taking the family to a religious site, zoo or historical site they might not have ever visited. If you look on a map you might consider going to Phi Mai, that is very drive on Highway 2 to Highway 206. Very fair admission price for Thai residents, including Expats with a Thai drivers license. Another VERY attractive Temple Complex is North East of Roi-et near Nong Phok called by some people "Issan Buddhist Park" or "Pha Nam" which has a very large Chedi perhaps named Phra Mahachedi Chai Monkhon. Zero admission charge. The web site for tourismthailand.org gas information on this and other suitable places in Issan. Riding a bike during Songkran would be a "fools game". Plenty of suitable Thai restaurants in all price ranges to treat the whole family to food THEY will enjoy at any tourist area of Issan. A bit farther, but great family fun with zero admission charge is a low keyed "Elephant Village" called the "Thai Jumbo Village" on a bilingual map of Thailand, a short distance EAST of Satuk. Perhaps there are similar Elephant Villages closer to Khon Kaen. If it is not the "spray water" time of year then you can pile the family in the back of a pick up truck. Taking the family to a "fancy" restaurant might not always be a fun time for the family, depending on what they are comfortable with. 500 baht can buy a "boat load" of seafood from a fresh market so they can BBQ items they might not always be able to afford, yet they always seem to enjoy.

All too often we see "guys on a first visit" being dragged to Big C to buy a Karaoke system or plastic top loading washing machine for the village house. That could be good in a different way, but certainly a "family trip" to Temple, zoo, or ancient ruins, lends itself to photo opportunities.

post-20604-1238122011_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1238122042_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1238122053_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1238122066_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1238122078_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1238122281_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1238122357_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1238122371_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1238122438_thumb.jpg

As said earlier. The Uborat Dam has a couple of "Beach" areas with swimming for the kids, cheap food places stretching out into the water, banana rides, paddle boats.

There is an OK Water Park on the Khon Kaen Bi Pass going towards Udon. A little bit tatty but the kids love it.

As said earlier. The Uborat Dam has a couple of "Beach" areas with swimming for the kids, cheap food places stretching out into the water, banana rides, paddle boats.

There is an OK Water Park on the Khon Kaen Bi Pass going towards Udon. A little bit tatty but the kids love it.

cesar has something called a playboy for 1700 bth,worth checking out,pullman rachid is a must,stay there if you can,chanses are that your wife and the parents dosent fit in there,but what the hel_l put them at kosa hotel and stay at pullman yourself,2500 bth pr night with free dinner and breakfast worth evry satang.

post-28865-1238168735_thumb.jpg

> Taking the family to a "fancy" restaurant might not always be a fun time for the family,

Depending on the size of family and hangers on etc. the 'Laos buffet' all you can eat for about 120 Baht deals are good, on your table(s) you get a small BBQ burner with inverted cooking dish to cook meats and eat till the fish/prawns and ice cream comes out of your ears. As long as you control the amount spent on beers and spirits it should be under 160 Baht a head - if the older men attend I suggest that you ensure loads of kids also go - having the youngsters about can limit the olden's desire to get pissed at your exepense.

The temple mentioned with pictures above (high spiral staircase) I've been there twice, the first time it was still under construction and that climb to the top was simply scary - it's better now. Take camera extra batteries and SD cards, getting the various family members picture taken next to various 'important' icons is a nice touch. If you can then get some of those pictures frames (many places will do this in KK or surounding towns) and presented as a gift to senior family members you will earn big brownie points.

Getting the cotton wrist bands on leaving is typical - keep on for three days then free to remove, can keep one on as a keepsake if it's important to you.

Riding a bike during the water throwing time is stupid. (Drunks will throw the whole bucket at you.) Watch what happens to others and scan the papers and TV for this year's songkran seasonal death toll.

During the water throwing time everywhere is free game, I was talking with an experianced expat and Issan resident of some +7 years telling me how upset he was getting a bucket of water from a passing truck while sitting at a road side cafe, I suggested he should know better by now. Think about a plastic bag for your camera, cutting down the stuff you carry in your wallet to just enough cash for that day etc.

I would suggest that getting dressed up for an evening out is asking for trouble, although outside the madness of tourist zones like Pattaya the water throwing (IME) stops as the sun goes down - a smart fresh farang is too tempting a target for a drunk with a bucket of water.

Money. If you are staying in the family home/village/rural situation (depends on family status etc.) it is wise not to risk tempting someone to theft - keep stuff you want to keep secured.

Sofitel is a nice, breakfasts are good not super delux, nice pool so you can get wet by choice. A friend stayed at the Pullman last week - a regular escape for him. If you are on the East side of town there's a 'Catus' (?) hotel that looks OK. Songkran is a busy time - book your hotel rooms.

Consider spending a night or two in the family home if possible.

How are you travelling, buses/trains get booked quickly. Roads fill up in the days before - we are already looking to travel as soon as possible.

Temples. If the family is religous ask to go to their prefered local Wat, talk with your partner beforehand to see if making a tambon (offering/gift) is in order (up to you if you do and if so how much), it's hot season so they might welcome a new fan etc. Temple grounds are not (IME) excluded from throwing water and in the past I've been in a truck that reloaded our water supplies from a temple pond and 'got' the monks on the way out.

Best vehicle is an open back pickup, if you load it up with a large barrel for water, secure the thing with ropes. Keep some change to buy a huge block of ice to cool that throwing water down (!). If you are out looking for targets in your truck during the day - consider that when the sun goes down and the wet bodies in the back feel the wind chill as you drive home it is dam_n cold, some plastic sheets sound silly but I wore an old bin liner bag once.

If driving your own car (rental) ensure that the washer tank is full - you will be using it a lot to clear white/pick powders thrown at the car - all vehicles are dusty white for the duration. Keep a photo log as a measure of the water-combat that you have been through.

Generally after the first refill is thrown resupply is via whatever water source is availible, including river water - yummy. (10 Baht from the guy with a road side pump.) Keep some anti-diarrhea tablets in your bags in case you manage to swallow some bad water during the day.

Getting drunk while throwing water at a road side is common, inter-space your booze with bottled water and you can keep throwing with a mild buzz all day long. I feel stupid to say this - avoid DUI - expect police checks on the roads.

There are many 'things' to do arround KK - but during songkran some my close, keep your options open and be flexible.

KK itself, the mains places to shop is the mall close to the Sofitel, Fairy Plaza (other side of town) and the fresh markets in the side sois towards the bus stations. You partner might suggest you visit the shops that line the main road near the bus stations, the shops are mostly painted red and only sell one type of metal. ....can you guess?

In the sois between the Sofitel and the road to the railway station there are a number of bars.

Just South off KK on Hwy 2 you will find Big C, Tesco Lotus, Makro and a few other places to shopping interest, you can get a day card at Makro if something there interests you.

If 'family' shopping is placed on your agenda by your partner it is wise to understand what they are thinking about before the event.

There is talk in the press about an alcohol ban this year (see comment about about death toll), if you enjoy a few beers it might be wise to have your own stock. In rural locations the local 'shop' will probably supply without restriction. Built up areas might be less easy to buy beers etc. Also consider that normal alcohol selling time is 11:00 - 14:00 & 17:00-23:00 (I think - I don't buy my own beers and a I have a 'local' supplier who is excluded for the rules.)

If you pop over to the Thai Food forum there have been a few threads recently that mention ordering from a Thai only menu, I've posted there a few times a link to a PDF that gives an English/Thai portable menu listing typical common items and phrases that are of use. "My hovercraft is full of eels." :o

Probably a bit of a long drive from KK, but Tan Toon (?) national park down towards Chayapoon (?) is a great place to chill for a half-day, you might reconise the images of the river with rapids from one of the King's homages at the start of the movies.

HTH.

Have fun.