Does My Child Have To Choose One Nationality When 18?

chuckacinco

Dear Thaivisa members,

My son is 14 years old and has Thai and American passports. My wife talked to some government official when getting our 2 year old daughter her Thai passport and now my wife insists that my son, when he is 18, will have to choose to be Thai or American and give up one or the other. This can't be true.

I can't find a thread on this. Sorry if it's been addressed at length before.

Help.

Chuckacinco

Dear Thaivisa members,

My son is 14 years old and has Thai and American passports. My wife talked to some government official when getting our 2 year old daughter her Thai passport and now my wife insists that my son, when he is 18, will have to choose to be Thai or American and give up one or the other. This can't be true.

Not only my daughter will not renounce one of her 2 nationalities, I am getting her a third one that will give her European Union passport.

There is nothing in Thai law which mentions that a child with dual nationality needs to do anything at age 18.

The law does say that from one year after their 20th birthday, a child who also has the nationality of their foreign parent can (if they wish) decide to renounce their Thai nationality. However there is no penalty if they don't decide to give it up.

Much confusion comes from this clause in the law, as people read it as they must give up their citizenship, when infact all the law does is offer them a 1 year window to renounce it if they wish.

I have 2 passports and well past 20 years of age. My children have three passports.

Edited by samran