Streaming Video To Tv

trd

You can have a look at Divx connected.

D-Link makes a little box called the DSM-330. Plug a network cable into it or connect by WiFi, plug your tv into it and the rest is done by a remote control.

On your PC (which has all the movies you want to play) you have to run a little server program which you download from the DivX Connected website. This program actually streams the movie over the network to the DSM330 in DivX format.

If the movie is in another format than DivX, your computer will transcode it on-the-fly.

Do also read the forums about DivX Connected. It's a nice product but it's also the first product and does not work flawless.

Also keep in mind that WiFi is a medium that is based on shared, simplex communication - it can send or receive to one station at the time. No problem for the majority of applicatons, but real-time applications like video streams just work better over a cable.

I've only had experience of the mediagate streamers. I would agree, wired is far better, faster than wireless, if you can do that. If you try and play any sort of hidef stuff you ended getting lots of slowdowns. Also browsing a large HD with lots of media content on it is slow via wreless.

Edited by ernest1966

Thanks for the replies. Agree that hard wired is the best option.

Instead of going the route of using a network cable to the D-Link how about just fitting a video/audio output card to the computer with composite AV, RGB or even RF fed by coaxial cable to the TV tuner. Any opinions on that? I will only be feeding divx or wmv files.

Many video cards have a cinch connector for analogue video out (composite AV), e.g. NVidia 7300. You can connect that one straight to the AV input of your TV.

If you have a newer flatscreen, get a male-male VGA cable and connect it from the VGA output on your computer to the VGA input on the back of your flatscreen. It'll give you HD quality, way higher than composite AV.

Great everyone agrees wired is better.

But please for the sake of my sanity where can I purchase a 10 meter cable here in Pattaya that will allow me to connect my PC's VGA output to my TV in the bedroom's PC, VGA, input ?

Don't tell me Tukcom, NO HAB

Don't tell me Amaron, in Tukcom, NO HAB

Don't tell me Numchai where I bought the TV, NO HAB

I can only use the LCD TV in the living room because I brought the cable with me from the US.

I will be willing to travel all the way to Bangkok, if I can be guaranteed to be able to purchase a simple VGA cable that will work.

(and Yes, I have tried the male to male cable that is offered here)

Edited by Langsuan Man

Apple TV is still the best option i feel. Not only can you stream your media to it from your server / pc. You have access to all the Itunes store tv episodes / movie rentals / movie purchases etc.

In a small (Silent) box with excellent user interface. Just get the 40gb version if you intend streaming more than storing on the Appletv.

Hab Hab........i bought one a month or so ago......they have 5 ,10 and 15m........round about 300 baht for the 10m one.

counting the ground floor as floor one the shop is on the 4th floor....coming off the escalator make a right and come back on yourself the shop is the one with all the cables and allsorts on the floor in boxes........on the left

Edit...just reading your last sentence....i think we are talking about the same thing...mine plugs into the socket on the back of the PC where you would normally plug the monitor in and the other end obviously goes in the TV

Edited by thaiflyer1

Hab Hab........i bought one a month or so ago......they have 5 ,10 and 15m........round about 300 baht for the 10m one.

counting the ground floor as floor one the shop is on the 4th floor....coming off the escalator make a right and come back on yourself the shop is the one with all the cables and allsorts on the floor in boxes........on the left

Edit...just reading your last sentence....i think we are talking about the same thing...mine plugs into the socket on the back of the PC where you would normally plug the monitor in and the other end obviously goes in the TV

Yes, but they have a sign that says, NOT FOR LCD or PLASMA TV.

I too thought that since is was a 15 PIN, male to male, that it would work, but it doesn't. It was worth taking the chance for 300 baht so I bought it and sure enough NOT FOR LCD or PLASMA TV. :o

post-10942-1238421873_thumb.jpg

Yes, but they have a sign that says, NOT FOR LCD or PLASMA TV.

I too thought that since is was a 15 PIN, male to male, that it would work, but it doesn't. It was worth taking the chance for 300 baht so I bought it and sure enough NOT FOR LCD or PLASMA TV. :o

post-10942-1238421873_thumb.jpg

Fair enough....... :D

Why dont you just site your pc next to your tv? I have. Works a treat, also have wireless to the pc from the router so can download freely. You can also use your LCD tv as the monitor for your pc, its great to surf like that with a wireless mouse, just sit back in a nice comfy chair, no wires to see. I have the pc housed in a nice teak cabinet with the 50 inch tv sitting on top. It rocks.

ps I tried to go the same route as you using PS3, it works, but was cumbersome navigating.

please feel free to ask anything else.

But please for the sake of my sanity where can I purchase a 10 meter cable here in Pattaya that will allow me to connect my PC's VGA output to my TV in the bedroom's PC/VGA input ?

I can only use the LCD TV in the living room because I brought the cable with me from the US.

I will be willing to travel all the way to Bangkok, if I can be guaranteed to be able to purchase a simple VGA cable that will work.

Why dont you just site your pc next to your tv?

please feel free to ask anything else

Impossible since the TV in the bedroom is mounted on the wall. Therefore the need for wires. I know where to get the cable from in the US, I just don't want to have to go to that expense when I know someone has to have the cable.

Come on, every LCD TV in Thailand has the PC / VGA input, someone has got to have a cable to connect them and not everyone wants a PC sitting next to the TV :o

But please for the sake of my sanity where can I purchase a 10 meter cable here in Pattaya that will allow me to connect my PC's VGA output to my TV in the bedroom's PC/VGA input ?

Why dont you just site your pc next to your tv?

please feel free to ask anything else

Impossible since the TV in the bedroom is mounted on the wall. Therefore the need for wires. I know where to get the cable from in the US, I just don't want to have to go to that expense when I know someone has to have the cable.

Come on, every LCD TV in Thailand has the PC / VGA input, someone has got to have a cable to connect them and not everyone wants a PC sitting next to the TV :o

I bought mine in Samui, probably not a very big help for you :D (And as my pc is next to the tv, it's not exactly a 10 meter cable...)

As an alternative, you can consider a composite cable. The quality of the image will be a bit less, but on the other hand it's a thinner cable which is easier to hide. If your pc doesn't have a composite output, you will need a video card. Then you connect the VGA out to the living Tv, and the composite out to the bedroom, so no need to change cables all the time.

avoid composite too much quality loss. How about HDMI cable, but might mean upgrading your graphics card. Try the shop opposite Foodland in Pattaya Klang, they have 15 pin serial cables, they might even make one up for you, just ask, the thais will do anything for a few baht.

avoid composite too much quality loss. How about HDMI cable, but might mean upgrading your graphics card. Try the shop opposite Foodland in Pattaya Klang, they have 15 pin serial cables, they might even make one up for you, just ask, the thais will do anything for a few baht.

Thanks I had thought about the HDMI option, since The Tukcom Cable Store does have 10 meter HDMI cables.

But you know, a new graphics card, might as well get a new faster processor, and then a new hard drive.............when does is stop :o

Try the shop opposite Foodland in Pattaya Klang

I assume that you mean Wattana Systems. Will give them a try. Thanks again.

sooner or later you will need to upgrade :o

I went to tuckom with my old pc, about 6 years old, said I wanted a new fan cos old cpu was getting too hot and the pc was turning itself off. 'old puta cannot' ending walking away with a brand new case new motherboard, new Ram, managed to use my old hard drive, had to get DVD as new motherboard has only one ide, but 4 SATA. the 4 SATA is good, cos I can put 4 extra hard drives in at 1 Terrabyte each and store a heck of lot of movies and tv progs. cost 5500 baht!

Yes wattana is what I meant, they made me up a 15 metre crossover cable before, when I hard wired my house network b4.

SOLVED

The secret is to ask them if they have a better quality cable...........and they do for 850 Baht............or if you have already strung the 300 THB cable and are basically lazy then buy yourself one of these for 550 TBH, another small VGA cable (150 THB) and a gender changer (50 THB) and you won't have to climb up on the ladder, remove the ceiling tiles , and re-string the wire. :D:o:D :D :D

post-10942-1238670113_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the advice, especially Forkinhades, thaiflyer1 and marcus