Any Suggestion About Infant Formula?

littlemama

My baby is about 6 weeks old now. I went back and gave birth in my country. But i had to come back here to sit my final exams. Baby is left with my parents since 4 weeks old because of delaying in her documents thing. Baby is having Dumex Mamex Gold formula as our pediatrician suggested. I am going back to take my baby to Bkk in May. As i have been checking around, i do not see Dumex Mamex Gold in supermarkets. I only see Dumex Hi-Q and others. Most of the formula products are written in Thai langauge. So, i just want to know what formula brands other parents have giving to their children and some reviews. If i don't get the one i am giving to my baby and if i have to switch to another formula brand, which formula should i choose? What should i know before switching formula brands and some suggestions about formula brands which we can buy in here easily.

We first tried enfacare, but she seemed to have diarrhea a lot when using this product. This was the most expensive and the most hyped. We tried Dumex but she didn't like it. Nestle is what we use now but if I had my choice I wouldn't use any of the ones in Thailand as they don't have any rules about flavor enhancers which do the baby no good and have been proven to be used in Thai baby formulas. They are used in American formulas as well but you can get variations of the products with out these chemicals in the USA but you cant get them here.

My wife used Dumex Hi-Q for the first 6 Months then changed to Nestle 6 Month follow up Formula.

is full of energy also she started feeding him mashed bananas from 3 months old to my horror.

Colino

thank you for your imformation Colino :o

My only suggestion will be to buy only a small box first, to see if he likes it, not buying a 1kg box from the start (we had to trash milk boxes, and given the high price it felt painful).

thank you! i will try from a small box as you suggested. :o

We first tried enfacare, but she seemed to have diarrhea a lot when using this product. This was the most expensive and the most hyped. We tried Dumex but she didn't like it. Nestle is what we use now but if I had my choice I wouldn't use any of the ones in Thailand as they don't have any rules about flavor enhancers which do the baby no good and have been proven to be used in Thai baby formulas. They are used in American formulas as well but you can get variations of the products with out these chemicals in the USA but you cant get them here.

thanks for telling me this :o

My baby is about 6 weeks old now. I went back and gave birth in my country. But i had to come back here to sit my final exams. Baby is left with my parents since 4 weeks old because of delaying in her documents thing. Baby is having Dumex Mamex Gold formula as our pediatrician suggested. I am going back to take my baby to Bkk in May. As i have been checking around, i do not see Dumex Mamex Gold in supermarkets. I only see Dumex Hi-Q and others. Most of the formula products are written in Thai langauge. So, i just want to know what formula brands other parents have giving to their children and some reviews. If i don't get the one i am giving to my baby and if i have to switch to another formula brand, which formula should i choose? What should i know before switching formula brands and some suggestions about formula brands which we can buy in here easily.

We found that in Bkk you can buy almost all baby foods as long as you shop around (Carrefour, Tesco, Robinsons etc) but the price differences can be substantial.

We were recommended staying on Dumex Gold then Enfacare then Nestle (soy powders) but after our daughter developed infant eczema and constant diaorhea we switched to NAN (1 then 2) and have had no problems since.

Ask your paediatrician (but make sure they aren't tied to suppliers!) and definitely buy small packs as suggested by others.

BTW, check out Baby Fair at Queen Sirikit centre, we bought as much as we could early last year and only just ran out before we came her in November!

Best of luck and happy parenting.

We found that in Bkk you can buy almost all baby foods as long as you shop around (Carrefour, Tesco, Robinsons etc) but the price differences can be substantial.

We were recommended staying on Dumex Gold then Enfacare then Nestle (soy powders) but after our daughter developed infant eczema and constant diaorhea we switched to NAN (1 then 2) and have had no problems since.

Ask your paediatrician (but make sure they aren't tied to suppliers!) and definitely buy small packs as suggested by others.

BTW, check out Baby Fair at Queen Sirikit centre, we bought as much as we could early last year and only just ran out before we came her in November!

Best of luck and happy parenting.

thanks for sharing your experiences.. i will check around again..i have checked Tesco and Robinson well for Dumex Mamex tho. Just update me when you know about baby fair agin please :D thanks!

• 1 month later...

Please let me share some other information re baby formulas.

Two years ago I accompanied my Thai son and his 2 yr old daughter to Bumrumgrad hospital. The doctor we saw was Thai but spoke perfect English, good listener and very professional

Whilst there we asked when the baby should come off formulas and what next?

His answer was; don't ever believe the hype you read on Thai produced formula cans/boxes. He mentioned that most of the claims about increased IQ etc., have no back up research, etc. He also mentioned that a Thai doctors group had lobbied to have the excessive advertsing stopped but without success.

Ultimately he said, transfer her to UHT milk. Use mostly the low fat milk, but accassioanlly use the UHT full fat milk.

We did that, and without a hitch. The baby loved the UHT milk, she's now 4 years old, still has 5 or 6 small boxes every day. She's fit, strong, tall for her age, full of energy and doing very well at Kindergarten.

We started with Dumex, it was the formula in our hospital, but unfortunatelly my baby was hungry every time, after 1 month and a half we changed to Nan, it was impossible to feed her every 45- 60 minutes. We were very happy! Now we having Enfagrow. BTW most of my friends were using Enfagrow.