Band Saws

Dakhar

Where can I find a band saw. I have see power tools here before, but I never gave them much attention, but now I am in need for a decent band saw. I will be cutting some expensive exotic wood, and I do not want to waste much of it.

any estimated price...

I ask because I could have one sent over....

I can get them for about 5K baht back home

I haven't looked at the prices for bandsaws, I need a table saw and jointer / planer first. Every tool I have bought so far has cost more than back home but I imagine shipping and import taxes on a bandsaw would really hurt.

Where are you located dakhar?? If in Chiang Mai, I know of a shop that sells new chineese bandsaws and another that sells 2nd hand [when available].

Sadly I live in BKK

But every once in a while, I have a chance to go to CM.... (never often enough)

So where do I go if in CM?

In BKK, I'm sure there are vendors of the cheap, but heavy Chineese shop tools. Often the Chinese goods are simple, heavy duty machines.....but with week motors, that are easy to change if needed.

Look around and you will find.....

Where can I find a band saw. I have see power tools here before, but I never gave them much attention, but now I am in need for a decent band saw. I will be cutting some expensive exotic wood, and I do not want to waste much of it.

Well being a bandsaw owner and heavy user - the advice I would give you is unless you full understand and can set up a bandsaw AND have good blades (not ones for sale in Thailand - I import all mine) then you'll more than likely make more of mess with a cheap and poorly setup bandsaw with a crappy blade.

When you say cutting 'expensive exotic wood' what are you cutting? How thick is it and what are you intending to make? I book matched some 20cm x 10cm Figured Afzelia and a large log of Khampii Rosewood the other week.

If you just want it cutting to thickness it'd probably be better taking it to a wood processing shop with well tuned bandsaws and thicknessers so you'll get exactly what you need.

But I've never see a bandsaw in any of the large shops around Udon - I bought a Chinese one here in Vientiane and put on new guides, new tires and of course new blades and it cuts as good anything.

:o

So far I have Afzilla Lay & Amboyna Burl the sizes I want are about 1.5 X 1.5 X 4mm

And what I am making is way out in left field, but it will look nice in the end.

I had to purchase the wood pre-cut to the above specs because i do not have a saw. In the future, I imagine I could buy 1.5 inch x 3ft x 4mm sticks and cut them down myself if I had a band saw. Or even larger size stock, but again I need a saw.

I may get my hands on palm wood because it looks like that wood is cheaper and easier to find.

At first I was going to use Teak, but Teak is too bland for what I need it for, and the final application, the piece will be about as big as my thumb nail, so if the grain is not very "busy" the final product would be boring.

The last catalogue I got from Tool Pro in Udon Thani had band saws listed , I think they were Italian.

The last time I went in Tool Pro I did see the newly arrived bandsaws and they look 100% Chinese - same as the Chinese shops in Laos.

Dakhar sounds like you need a scroll saw opposed to a bandsaw and I've never seen them for sale in Thailand - the Chinese shops in Vientiane has them.