Baby Bottle Sterilising Tablets Or Fluid

Pappiklon

We have a new born baby (6 days old and gorgeous).

I bought a microwaveable baby bottle steamer, my wife is trying to breastfeed but encountering some problems so on occassion we have had to give the baby formula to stop her dehydrating. Trouble is with the microwave steamer when you take it out everything is so hot and theres so much steam it turns the place into a sauna, plus if you only want to use one bottle they say the items sterilised will stay sterile for 3 hours as long as you don't open it...which says to me once you've taken one bottle out the rest isn't going to be sterile long.

Anyway what I want to know, and I've tried both Paragon and their supermarket to no avail (I was sold something for washing vegetables in one instance and offered some electric hob cleaner in another) is where can you get baby bottle sterilising tablets, or fluid, like Milton in Bangkok, just think it would be so much easier to have bottles soaking in the stuff which you can remove and use when you need them.

Any help appreciated.

I bought a microwaveable baby bottle steamer, my wife is trying to breastfeed but encountering some problems so on occassion we have had to give the baby formula to stop her dehydrating. Trouble is with the microwave steamer when you take it out everything is so hot and theres so much steam it turns the place into a sauna, plus if you only want to use one bottle they say the items sterilised will stay sterile for 3 hours as long as you don't open it...which says to me once you've taken one bottle out the rest isn't going to be sterile long.

Anyway what I want to know, and I've tried both Paragon and their supermarket to no avail (I was sold something for washing vegetables in one instance and offered some electric hob cleaner in another) is where can you get baby bottle sterilising tablets, or fluid, like Milton in Bangkok, just think it would be so much easier to have bottles soaking in the stuff which you can remove and use when you need them.

Any help appreciated.

I think you'll find that a microwave cooker will sterilise the babies thngs without the use of chemicles. My wife cleans our baby things in the sink. She then fills bottles a 6th full and cooks them in the machine for 2 minutes full power. For the teats etc she put them in a cup of water and does the same. Our baby has never had a stomach upset uptil now.

Any help appreciated.

Congratulations!

Try any of the big stores (Carrefour, Tesco, Central, Robinsons) baby departments, also Boots (bigger branches) - we used to see them there in Bkk all the time while bargain clothes and toys shopping (and buggy, papoose, etc etc)! Our favourite was Central Bang Na.

We had the Avent microwave steriliser and no problems, just try and plan your routine (make up bottle no 4 and sterilise the other 3 - do all 4 when you're sure your bundle of joy is definitely down for a good long sleep!).

Enjoy!

I never saw Milton tablets in Thailand but used the liquid stuff they sell in Tesco. Regarding the sterilised bottles from the micro steriliser, tbh the guidelines are just that, guidelines, if you house is clean & you handle the bottles properly, making sure the lid of the sterliser stays firmly closed then there will be no issue with cleanliness.

I used to remove my sons bottles from the steriliser as soon as the cycle was finished & put them together, fixing the bottle lids in place. That way no bacteria could get into the teat or bottle & when I was due to make a feed would give it a quick rinse of boiled water before adding the formula to remove any external bacteria. Putting them all in the fridge will also work :o

Congratulations

I've seen Milton sterilising fluid in Mothercare (emporium, but probably available at any mothercare outlet).

I did what others did - had an Avent steriliser, put the bottles back together after cycle finished, then popped them all in the fridge.

Thank you all for your posts. I found the sterilising tablets in Mothercare at Emporium, haven't used them yet as once we got over the initial unkowns we have developed a better routine based on your experiences and do 4 at a time in the microwave steriliser and put them in the fridge.

Assuming you're already familiar with the for/against positions regarding sterilization:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Milk-Bottle-...ng-t133086.html link

I found myself more concerned with the BPA thing.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29581992/ link

The six largest manufacturers of baby bottles have announced they will no longer sell bottles in the U.S. made with the controversial chemical BPA. "The Washington Post" reports public health advocates say BPA can be especially dangerous to the health of children age three and younger. Dozens of research studies have linked it to health problems like cancer and brain disorders. The FDA, however, has maintained BPA is safe...

I found some BPA-free bottles at Carrefour for about 100 baht each.

Here's my previous thread looking for bottles:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Bpa-free-Bab...es-t210661.html link

The Avent can actually sterilise about 8 small or at least 6 big bottles. Nipples in first, then the plastic necks, bottles in the slots. Dummies just thrown in anywhere.

Sure it gets hot but your problem is not that it is just getting used to managing when you clean the bottles. I guess you also need more bottles. We used to run about 8 small ones and then about 6 or so large ones.

Don't fret about taking a bottle out and the rest being unclean.

You will need more bottles if you are expressing milk and putting it in the fridge etc.