Thai Friend Wants To Study For Real Estate License

My friend asked me the other day how she could become a real estate agent.

She grew up here, but has always worked fairly basic jobs, and over time, even though she knows the market is bad right now, insists she'd be great at it.

She's based in Phuket, but willing to go to the right school, training facility, as it's turning low season.

Any schools to recommend?

Any basic outlines of the process & legal requirements?

If possible, can we limit responses to just facts and keep opinion and irrelevant miscellany to a minimum?

Thanks a trillion for any info...

License? Training? Qualifications?

You haven't talked to any estate agents in Thailand have you!

She's looking for information about a career choice, not insults about her culture or it's business community.

There are legal requirements and certain conditions -that if not satisfied, will result in negative consequences, if you choose to engage in real estate transactions without the proper credentials.

My bet is someone will eventually reply in a thoughtful manner, -the reason I still trust this forum, even though it's become a bit like Dante's Inferno at times in the Cultural Hypocrisy dept. :o

She's looking for information about a career choice, not insults about her culture or it's business community.

There are legal requirements and certain conditions -that if not satisfied, will result in negative consequences, if you choose to engage in real estate transactions without the proper credentials.

My bet is someone will eventually reply in a thoughtful manner, -the reason I still trust this forum, even though it's become a bit like Dante's Inferno at times in the Cultural Hypocrisy dept. :o

Try Contacting REBA in Bangkok, this is Real Estate Broker Association or such like and everything is done in Thai I believe

Real Estate Broker Association Thailand

216/72 17th Floor, Lpn Tower, Nanglinjee Road,

Chongnongsee, Yannawa,

Bangkok 10120

Thailand

Tel : 02 285-4496-7

Fax :02 285-2408

Sadly anyone can set up here as an Estate Agent without any qualifications !!

Yup. The baa mee seller near my condo is also an agent looking for potential leasing tenants.

To effect a bank transaction and property transfers, e.g. not just finding leasing leads, is likely the missing data at this stage.

The REBA info is a good start, and lucky it's in Thai and Thai operated, it'll give her enough to go on to feel comfortable asking her parents to cooperate with her intended shift in career focus. It's low season, so she can study what she needs and learn the more complex stuff and land a gig at an existing firm.

We just had a laugh about the baa mee seller. :o

"My friend asked me the other day how she could become a real estate agent."

How would you know? Why doesn't she speak with a practicing real estate professional, and get the information first hand?

Yes unfortunately any man and their dog can claim that they are real estate agents, no licenses or qualifications required... more's the pity.

Does she have any background in professional sales at all? (i.e. selling a service, like recruitment? etc)

If she is serious and wants to learn more how to go about tackling the business properly, she could do worse than take on a real estate degree or masters from Thammasat or Chula, both have been known to churn out decent staff, on occasion.

Bold statement to make since you are the one asking advice on the requirements???

Courses are available but not really necessary.

The main requirement in Phuket is to turn the head of a farang manager.

She seems to have it all worked out so not sure why she needs your......advice.

Sadly anyone can set up here as an Estate Agent without any qualifications !!

Exactly my point. I wasn't insulting anyone's culture, just stating a fact.

And just for your info kariski, you don't need a license or training to set up as an estate agent in UK either.

What relevance does any type of real estate agents qualification have here anyway

when there are so many dubious characters as competitors ?

In Pattaya some real estate agencies even have subsidiary time share sales departments

and those people are totally unethical because they deliberately try to get tourists to

pay a deposit and sign papers they hope they will not try to understand until they arrive back home

after which the cancellation period has run out.

If the OP believes there are " legal requirements " why then dont they stamp out these kinds of people

who call themselves real estate agents ? :o