Any Good Movies At The Moment?

thaigerd

Just saw "Knowing" a couple of hours ago at Jungceylon. Total of about 6 people in the audience.

Not a great movie, but not bad either - better than I expected.

Watched it last Thursday at Central, not bad. I am a fan of Nicolas Cage....

My favourite website for those questions is: hxxp://www.phuket.net/going-out/movie-schedules.htm or hxxp://www.movieseer.com/DisplayPerTheater.asp?tID=127&Channel=2 (Central) or hxxp://www.movieseer.com/DisplayPerTheater.asp?tID=168&Channel=2 (Patong)

It's funny. Rottentomatoes.com really pans 'knowing' but when i watched it, i really enjoyed it.

The story had a couple of holes in it, but it's still an enjoyable movie.

I'm still waiting for slum dog millionaire to come. A friend of mine says it wont be shown widely in Thailand because the Thais hate Indian people. I thought he was wrong but here we are, some weeks after the Oscars, and it still isnt on in Phuket.

A quick look at SFX cinema group shows that it is only on at ONE place in Bangkok. Strange and sad if my friend is correct.

I often remind Thais that the Buddha was born in India..................

Does anyone know about a Thai move that won some award, and perhaps some international recognition?

Had to do with families after the Tsunami..

VDO Interviews: Ar-tit Assarat, Thai Director of ‘Wonderful Town’ movie

http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...hp?news_id=1019

or

Our interview with Ar-tit Assarat, Thai Director of ‘Wonderful Town’ & other short movies. ‘Wonderful Town’ was filmed at TakuaPa, Phang Nga, winning 5 Thai awards & 9 international awards. It is now showed at SFX Cinema, Central Phuket until 18 March, then SF Cinema, Jungceylon Patong 19-25 March. As Mr. Artit first tells us he was born in Bangkok, educated in United States, & his thesis film & others won awards at international festivals:

.…….....

VDO: Interview Anchalee Saisoontorn, actress in movie ‘Wonderful Town’

http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...hp?news_id=1023

or

Our interview with Anchalee Saisoontorn, the lead actress in the movie ‘Wonderful Town’ & also a tour guide. This was her 1st movie, having previously acted on stage. She just won ‘Best Female Actress’ at Thai Critic Assembly Awards in Bangkok the day before. ‘Wonderful Town’ was filmed at TakuaPa, Phang Nga, won 5 Thai awards & 9 international awards and was showing at SFX Cinemas in Phuket: She now tell us more about herself: …….....

Showed at SFX Cinema, Central Phuket -18 Mar. then SF Cinema, Jungceylon Patong 19-25 Mar. Contact: www.sfcinemacity.com

Tel. Central 076 209000 or Jungceylon 076 600555

Andaman News NBT TV (VHF dial) + Radio Thailand FM90.5 at 8.30am & perhaps repeats on Phuket Cable TV channel 1 at 7pm & 1am, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces & maybe Mazz Radio FM108 at 7pm in Phuket, 16 & 17th March 2009 & http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/

& www.YouTube.com/AndamanNews

Must remind myself that movie reviews are just one persons' opinion and we all like different things. There have been so many bad ones yet I ended up enjoying the movie. KNOWING was one of them. The disaster scenes were exceptionally well done but the spaceships were a bit OTT. Still one of the better "End Of The World" movies.

The reviews on Knowing were pretty bad but the famous Ebert gave it four stars so based on that I saw it, and no regrets. It skirts the big issues about why stuff happens. Unfortunately, often the best films don't make it to Thailand or if they do, they are only released to one theater in Bangkok. Such a film is MILK released only at the Paragon Bangkok. It is indeed bizarre if Slumdog doesn't get a wider release.

Edited by Jingthing

slum dog millionaire is available on the street, and I liked it. Great story/idea. A little sappy as far as the love story part, but the basic idea of how knowledge is obtained during one's life was great.

Edited by Shotime

slum dog millionaire is available on the street, and I liked it. Great story/idea. A little sappy as far as the love story part, but the basic idea of how knowledge is obtained during one's life was great.

Yeah i've seen the DVD's of slumdog on the streets already but i'm kinda holding out to watch it at the cinema. Phuket is normally pretty good in being one of the first areas to show movies - even sometimes before the states, so i am still patiently waiting for slum dog, which won Oscars didnt it? I cannot believe it isnt on yet, i really cant. Surely Thailand cant be that xenophobic can it? Anyway if it doesnt come within a couple more weeks i will buy a street version.