Leading Ko Samui Hotels Slash Room Rates

george

I can find you a sea side bungalow for 150baht a night,

ok where??

Yes there are...

and there are plenty of places which offer really good value for money in the ~ 30 Euro bracket...

everything else is superfluous!

Champagne or just Cider, Breadcrumbs or Caviar?

The funnel is wide open to one end.... and...

Where? in Lamai Henta Henyai. i was there two days ago.

The sign says 150 baht and you will need reservations.

They don't advertise, because they are typically full.

Small bungalows within 30-60 feet of the sea.

Group restaurant and cabanas with sand in your toes.

It exists, but not on the beaten path with big advertising budgets.

Hopefully, in term of strategic marketing, there is (not only in Samui) a handful of places that will never slash their prices.

They can wait and see for the end of the tunnel.

Due to their immense respect for their clients base, they will never trade their loyalty for some petty cash.

That's hospitality... the rest: only amateur!

That will change, all businesses have to adapt or die.

Rich clients are not loyal, they get discounts where they can as well, that's why they are rich.

At the very top end they are well cashed up and some are preparing themselves for a couple of years (by expanding and improving) when they project there will be a recovery. They have brand name, customer loyalty and luxury as their selling points.

I agree that upper/mid tier (often local brand who have tried to cash in on the people willing to pay more because of good economy/exchange rates) are going to suffer. Also suffering will be the places that have tried to give more to the budget traveller, as many backpackers seem to have cut back to extreme budget. But maybe these places can soak up the 3 star hotel market.

Certainly the first to go will be those who rent, not a pretty scenario in these circumstances.

I think the budget places will suffer as all the backpackers are in Laos and Cambodia, at least from what I have seen personally in the last few days.

Thailand's political strife, strong Baht and unwelcoming visa regulations for long staying tourists have driven them elsewhere. Those are the major complaints anyway.

And they seem to be spending just fine, not "cutting back to extreme budget", or perhaps they are just in Thailand, and spending their money and time somewhere they deem more deserving.

See below from STR Global - can't find figures for Samui

February 2009 - Asia/Pacific region’s occupancy dropped 12.1 percent to 59.0 percent; average daily rate declined 21.0 percent to US$114.82; and revenue per available room fell 30.5 percent to US$67.70.

Among the key markets, Seoul, South Korea, reported the largest occupancy increase in year-over-year measurements for February 2009, jumping 22.1 percent to 84.8 percent. Jakarta, Indonesia, reported the smallest decrease in occupancy (-3.0 percent to 64.8 percent). Phuket, Thailand, reported the largest occupancy decrease (-30.2 percent to 61.4 percent). Three markets increased in ADR: Tokyo, Japan (+5.4 percent to US$208.27); Bali, Indonesia (+2.6 percent to US$99.31); and Osaka, Japan (+1.5 percent to US$107.45). Ending the month with the smallest decreases in RevPAR were Tokyo (-8.8 percent to US$143.85) and Osaka (-6.2 percent to US$78.83). Three markets decreased more than 50 percent in RevPAR: Phuket (-53.8 percent to US$73.12); New Dehli, India (-53.3 percent to US$162.89); and Mumbai, India (-51.9 percent to US$126.79).

http://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/4040618...occupancy+rates

Never been there, but my ex visited a couple of years ago and told me that it was probably the most beautiful place he had ever been

Does your ex get around much? Samui is just your typical generic tropical island...nothing special about it in terms of scenery, beaches, geography, history, or culture. Plenty of way more scenic and culturally interesting islands all around SE Asia (let alone the world) in Indonesia (Bali), Malaysia (Borneo), and the Philippines (Palawan) to name only a few close by.