Motogp Dying?

Bard

Kawasaki pulled out.

Then a big meeting of saving money in MotoGP, so they limit to one tire, no electronically adjustable suspension, no launch control. This is also the last year they will run 250cc 2 strokes which in my opinion is the best, the 250 series is so tight it is extremely fun to watch, which means next year only the 125 cc 2 strokes are left as 2 strokes in the series. Next year 250 will become 600cc 4 stroke according to the magazines, weird as 600 cc to MotoGP 800 cc is not a big increase in cc, or maybe they'll upgrade Moto to 1000 cc???

Also limitation to max 5 engines a season and shorter races, shorter track time and so on.

The difference between the MotoGP 800cc 4 strokes and superbike is pretty small as is, and if this continues what is the point of having MotoGP? I am pretty curious of the laptimes this year, if they get closer to superbike then a lot of people will probably loose interest in the series.

Look at F1 vs say A1 and there is a good difference in laptimes, enough to notice and enough to make the audience feel this is it. MotoGP vs Superbike is already so tight that you have to see the differnce on the board, and if they make it closer, why not look at superbike instead, and dream about buying one and race yourself?

I donno but after FIM sold out MotoGP it looks like they do there best to ruin it.

Will still go to Sepang and see tho with Yamaha Rider Club and say hello to Valentino...

Cheers Bard

Yep, MotoGP has not been the same since they dropped to 800cc. The 800cc's haven't had a race decided on the last lap for 2 years. Compare that with WSBK where its almost every race - or at least one of the two races. This year MotoGP has 17 bikes on the grid - WSBK has over 30. Once Rossi retires (or switches over to WSBK) MotoGP is really going to have problems. Dropping the Friday practice and limiting Saturdays to 45 minutes has me seriously considering not going to Sepang this year.

And yeah, the 250's have been the best racing for the past 2 years, and Feem is just getting going. Sorry to see the 250's will be gone next year.

This is also the last year they will run 250cc 2 strokes which in my opinion is the best, the 250 series is so tight it is extremely fun to watch, which means next year only the 125 cc 2 strokes are left as 2 strokes in the series. Next year 250 will become 600cc 4 stroke according to the magazines, weird as 600 cc to MotoGP 800 cc is not a big increase in cc, or maybe they'll upgrade Moto to 1000 cc???

Thanks for the info - I agree, I will miss the 250cc two strokes, this class has had some of the best racing in recent years. I hope that Fim (Wilohroht) will still be taking part.

I agree 45 minutes is all we get in Sepang to watch so I am not that keen, has the ticket prices gone down? NO...

However I shall go of the sole reason I will be allowed to meet Rossi with Yamaha Rider Club which is the single reason I will be there now.

Hopefully there will be some Superbike races as well, that will make up a bit.

The 250's will be a major loss, so that really upset me, better enjoy this season to get the last of it.

Cheers Bard

I agree 45 minutes is all we get in Sepang to watch so I am not that keen, has the ticket prices gone down? NO...

However I shall go of the sole reason I will be allowed to meet Rossi with Yamaha Rider Club which is the single reason I will be there now.

Hopefully there will be some Superbike races as well, that will make up a bit.

The 250's will be a major loss, so that really upset me, better enjoy this season to get the last of it.

Cheers Bard

Now that i would go for! Any chance they would let a Ducati slip in??? :o

And seeing one of the last 250 races would be another reason, hmmmmm

Ride pillion with Trent in on his Yamaha and say you're his boyfriend, there is nothing to be shy over to handshake Rossi and get a pic taken...

No seriously, meet me when I get home from this terrible work and I will try to boil up something for true race minded people.

Cheers Bard

Ride pillion with Trent in on his Yamaha and say you're his boyfriend, there is nothing to be shy over to handshake Rossi and get a pic taken...

No seriously, meet me when I get home from this terrible work and I will try to boil up something for true race minded people.

Cheers Bard

If you're so keen to meet Rossi but can't get into pit lane (without paying a fortune, or without some connection) then you could try staying at the same hotel that the bikers stay at, the one near the track, I think it's called the Pacific Hotel. He works out at the gym every day when he's there so you may be able to catch him after his workout.

Yamaha Rider Club will meet him at the paddock and I will be there, and get a picture taken for SURE!!!

If not robinhill is right just do it if you don't have the pitpass.

Cheers Bard

A couple of years ago i took the "pit walk" at sepang on Saturday. 3 riders came out of the garage to meet fans - Lorenzo stepped out not realizing what was going on, and once out stayed for a few photos, then ducked back in. John Hopkins signed a few autographs and did a few photos. Rossi stayed out for half an hour doing photos and signing anything and everything - he really seemed to be enjoying himself. this was after having his worst qualifying of the year. class act all the way.

A couple of years ago i took the "pit walk" at sepang on Saturday. 3 riders came out of the garage to meet fans - Lorenzo stepped out not realizing what was going on, and once out stayed for a few photos, then ducked back in. John Hopkins signed a few autographs and did a few photos. Rossi stayed out for half an hour doing photos and signing anything and everything - he really seemed to be enjoying himself. this was after having his worst qualifying of the year. class act all the way.
No sign of Moaner Stoner? He's a miserable <snip>, isn't he?

That's why I like him. :o

Edited by soundman
Removed profanity.

• 5 months later...

Can anyone remember the British series where 3 engine concepts were competing? Norton Wankels, Ducati twins and the usual Japanese Fours. That was great, with exitement and overtaking.

Personally, I would like more ordinary street bikes getting raced.

1000 cc is a logical class, unlike 800 cc. People need to identify with the bikes. Still, compared with F1, any bike care is a great spectacle, while often in f1, pit stops are highlights :)