All Thai Males Must Become Soldier ?

TonySoprano

Do luk krueng, dual citizen, males still have to become soldier these days? How can they get out of it? Any plans to revoke this archaic law?

take it up with the man himself see how far youll get with this question..... law is here to stay .....pity some other countries wouldnt do the same .it might straighten out some of those un controllable,hoodie hoodlums in todays society,,,wasters

Edited by sbk

Do luk krueng, dual citizen, males still have to become soldier these days? How can they get out of it? Any plans to revoke this archaic law?

take it up with the man himself see how far youll get with this question..... law is here to stay .....pity some other countries wouldnt do the same .it might straighten out some of those un controllable,hoodie hoodlums in todays society,,,wasters

Oh you mean like all the yabba heads and robbers on motorbikes, etc, etc have been "straightened out" huh??

Penkoprod

When my son reaches the age where his cousins, friends etc are joining up for a year I would want him to be part of this.......

Why would I want to make him appear different?

If he is not allowed to go....that then is a different matter....

my thoughts on the subject

Not every male HAS to go. They all pick a ball out of a bucket (or whatever), if ball is red (I think red) you are ok, if it's black you have to join the army for 2 years. You also have the option of volunteering for 6 months, if you do this you don't have to risk the lottery. My employee just had to quit because he didnt want to risk it and volunteered. Another employee in the past did risk it and he got lucky and didnt have to go.

thought being Luk kreung if they have THAI nationality and are 22 they gotta be soldiers.

unless they are Kratoey - having surgeries done. Have a physical/mental problem.

OR you got the Black card at the enlistment.

oh my brother was a student of Territorial Defense (trained by soldiers) for 3 years when he was in highschool (also can be when studying in the Uni, i guess). Then he doesnt have to be a soldier now.

Please forgive me. I am not asking any of you about your opinion on the subject. I did not say "What do you think about all Thai males being forced to become soldiers and leave home at a very young and impressionable age..." I simply asked, how easy is it to get out of it? Does it apply to children with multiple nationalities? Are there any plans to remove this law like most other nations have done.

Thank you for those who have replied with factual information.

I do apologize for using the word archaic in the OP, as it showed my own opinion.

Edited by TonySoprano

Not every male HAS to go. They all pick a ball out of a bucket (or whatever), if ball is red (I think red) you are ok, if it's black you have to join the army for 2 years. You also have the option of volunteering for 6 months, if you do this you don't have to risk the lottery. My employee just had to quit because he didnt want to risk it and volunteered. Another employee in the past did risk it and he got lucky and didnt have to go.

Thanks for that info Sabum....easy for me then

When the time comes he will make his decision........

Ratio of red to black?

What if a doctor writes a note about an existing health condition?

What about enrollment in school?

What if they consider themselves a religious pacifist and its against their religion to learn how to or facilitate others in killing?

you dnt have to be a soldier when you go to school, but you have to be anyway when you graduate.

er... I did say in my post above there IF you have a physical/mental problem of course with a note from doctor. like .. you have got too short-sighted, too skinny etc...

hmmmm not sure for religious one. I think some Muslims from the south have to be soldiers anyway cos they are in Thailand having Thai nationality.

So upon graduation of University you must enter the draft? Or if you do not elect to go to University, upon High School graduation? Is that correct?

I wonder if the health reason excuse requires the approval of a Army doctor and not a private doctor.

I just read on the site. they say...

1. Guys that have been sick more than 30 days and with the Approval of Army doctor at the enlistment day. They will let you go for 3 times. that means you have to go back there every year for 3 years till they proof that you are really sick. so they will not bother you anymore.

No matter what degree you are, you will have to be soldier.

and the ratio of red to black is depended on numeral of all guys and absences/enlistees in a year.

OR be a monk.

no matter degree you are, you will have to be a soldier :o

you will have to get the letter from them anyway if you are overseas.

and If you don't reply or go to the enlistment, they say you are sneaking/hiding illegally.

Just like Sabum said about his employee. being a volunteer.

if your son is in a gov high school, i think you should tell him to be a territorial defense student for 3 years during high school so that he doesnt have to be a soldier as he is trained by soldiers.

If you have Thai passport, regardless of what other passport you have, it applies. Some here have told the rules as in you can get the color that says you don't have to join. Also, I had students who were in the military but it's not always a full-time thing. He only had to go on Tuesday afternoons and so missed my class only every Tuesday afternoon.

Edit: After reading Thithi's post, he was probably in Territorial Defense school so he did that instead of enlisting full time.

Edited by Jimjim

If you have Thai passport, regardless of what other passport you have, it applies. Some here have told the rules as in you can get the color that says you don't have to join. Also, I had students who were in the military but it's not always a full-time thing. He only had to go on Tuesday afternoons and so missed my class only every Tuesday afternoon.

Edit: After reading Thithi's post, he was probably in Territorial Defense school so he did that instead of enlisting full time.

Yes, I experienced the same situation. I had a Thai teacher come to me one afternoon, whilst 5 lads were ending their English lesson. The Thai teacher advised me that the 5 students would be missing from class from that day, which was a Wednesday, as they had to go to Army classes, also on a Wednesdays.

Personally I say it will do them the world of good to join. Free room and board and a wage to boot. The army holds onto half their pay and they get it back when they leave. Nice nest egg. Don't want to go? Dad has money? 50,000฿ and the problem goes away. :o

Yes, I experienced the same situation. I had a Thai teacher come to me one afternoon, whilst 5 lads were ending their English lesson. The Thai teacher advised me that the 5 students would be missing from class from that day, which was a Wednesday, as they had to go to Army classes, also on a Wednesdays.

Just asked my bf. He did army training in high school during his last 2 years, (kind of like boy scouts) It was every Wednesday afternoon for 2 years during the school year. Complete this and you don't have to go for the draft but must report by mail once a year. Not all high schools have this program but the better private ones in Bangkok do. He also said it not unusual to pay somebody off to get out of it as well. Middle and upper class normally avoid the draft with both these options.

Ratio of red to black?

What if a doctor writes a note about an existing health condition?

What about enrollment in school?

What if they consider themselves a religious pacifist and its against their religion to learn how to or facilitate others in killing?

Surely that would rule out all Buddhists then??? be a very small Thai army at that rate :o

My father-in-law got picked for military service via the black card lottery back in his youth. His parents paid a "fee" so he would not have to join up. His upcoming stint in university may have also contributed, i am unsure.

Have you noticed this amazing coincidence that occurs when the rich kids names are pulled out?

Every 2-3 years the news papers run stories about how the rich kids normally do not serve.

I guess it is just luck and good blessings since they always pick the right colored ball.

:o

So what is the penalty for not going if you are drafted? A guy in our village got drafted and did not go. He works for the government now. The only thing I know of that happened to him was he did not have an id for a couple of years so could not vote.

So what is the penalty for not going if you are drafted? A guy in our village got drafted and did not go. He works for the government now. The only thing I know of that happened to him was he did not have an id for a couple of years so could not vote.

If he works for the government, then he most likely has the connections.

Or, he is just one of the "lucky ones".

Personally I say it will do them the world of good to join. Free room and board and a wage to boot. The army holds onto half their pay and they get it back when they leave. Nice nest egg. Don't want to go? Dad has money? 50,000฿ and the problem goes away. :o

The cost for not going is only 20,000 baht in Khon Kaen.

Or, like a friend of mine with satan as a son-in-law, you can pay so as they have to go :D

If he works for the government, then he most likely has the connections.

Or, he is just one of the "lucky ones".

I doubt he has any connections or he would not have been drafted and he would have had an ID card the last few years. Also he is a poor boy so no money to pay a bribe. Is there a time limit on how long until they can get an ID card after avoiding the draft? Like the 10 year statute of limitations for thaksin to avoid jail?