Australians Overseas

david96

Aussies abroad: it's an ugly picture - Summary from the Australian, 30 March, 2009.

WHINGEING, irresponsible, cut-rate Australian tourists abroad are costing those who stay home millions of dollars and are being arrested more than ever.

The latest figures from the Department of Foreign Affairs show that 2009 is set to become the first year when more than 1000 Australians are arrested and when more than 1000 Australians are expected to die overseas.

Investigations on cost recovery also disclose huge outstanding losses when those helped in emergencies refuse to contribute to emergency services and flights.

Cheap airfares, the expansion of dangerous "adventure travel" tours, more elderly people going overseas, more tourism to strict religious countries, a drop in travel insurance policies, an increase in the number of mentally unstable people travelling and ignorance of local laws have combined to create a grim toll on Australian tourists.

In 1996-97, there were 2.2 million "resident departures" from Australia; last year it was 5.9million. The number of consular staff has been cut over that period.

Last year, DFAT officials dealt with 974 Australian deaths overseas but this year there have already been 651 deaths in the first half of the year. In six years, the number of deaths overseas has increased by 44 per cent.

In 2008-09, 970 Australians were arrested abroad. There have been 790 arrests in the first half of this year. Consular officials cannot provide legal advice nor interfere in legal proceedings overseas.

"Australian embassies are not travel agencies, nor is it their job to provide free travel insurance," he said, adding that a culture of complaint had developed where embassy staff were blamed and abused for "not helping" or being "too slow" during emergencies or where people had got themselves into trouble.

Australians abroad are just accidents waiting to happen. Wearing corks dangling from the brims of hats that could put someone's eye out in a crowded city environment, and don't get me started on those pointy crocodile-tooth necklaces you all wear...

And, I'm sorry, but a boomerang is not an acceptable way of getting your waiter's attention in a busy restaurant. :o

Australians abroad are just accidents waiting to happen. Wearing corks dangling from the brims of hats that could put someone's eye out in a crowded city environment, and don't get me started on those pointy crocodile-tooth necklaces you all wear...

And, I'm sorry, but a boomerang is not an acceptable way of getting your waiter's attention in a busy restaurant. :o

the aussie chavs are often forgotten here on TV with the main focus on the brits,but the aussies can be an ugly bunch too,most of em would n't know what a boomerang is.

the aussie chavs are often forgotten here on TV with the main focus on the brits,but the aussies can be an ugly bunch too,most of em would n't know what a boomerang is.

There's no such thing as an Aussie chav as that word, by definition, is British.

I think the posters above are referring to the Australian Bogans, who are certainly in the ascendancy, both domestically and when they travel. Not surprised arrests abroad are up as many of these people have ridden the boom times to become CUBs (Cashed Up Bogans). Maybe as the recession hits there will be less money for them to travel.

I would think the rise in deaths overseas would be attributed to more elderly people travelling as the average age of the population rises.

I would like to see similar arrest figures for Brits abroad for comparison purposes, and so I could make some nonsensical comments about bowler hats and umbrellas.

Edited by Old Croc

There's no such thing as an Aussie chav as that word, by definition, is British.

I think the posters above are referring to the Australian Bogans, who are certainly in the ascendancy, both domestically and when they travel. Not surprised arrests abroad are up as many of these people have ridden the boom times to become CUBs (Cashed Up Bogans). Maybe as the recession hits there will be less money for them to travel.

I would think the rise in deaths overseas would be attributed to more elderly people travelling as the average age of the population rises.

I would like to see similar arrest figures for Brits abroad for comparison purposes, and so I could make some nonsensical comments about bowler hats and umbrellas.

come on old croc,just having some fun,am an aussie too.

And, I'm sorry, but a boomerang is not an acceptable way of getting your waiter's attention in a busy restaurant. :D

:o

True aussie story.

Some years back I was buying some bootleg CD's (music type) in a store on Sukhumvit.

An Aussie came in and asked the clerk if she had anything by David Bowie (he pronounced it Die Vad Bow Wee)

The Thai clerk said no, but she had music by David Bowie (she said Day Vid Boo Wee).

Aussie said no, he just wanted David Bowie (Die Vad Bow Wee) music.

I would have translated, but I was over by the rack of David Bowie CD's laughing my American a** off, and couldn't catch my breath to explain the problem to them.

:D

Anyway...Back to the topic.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

You missed this bit!
Up until last week, Foreign Affairs has only been able to recover $55,462 of the $32.4 million Australian taxpayers paid in 2006 to evacuate 6500 "Australian citizens" (sic) from Lebanon :D during the Israeli bombing.

Full article is here

No wonder people don't want to pay them back @ $4985 per seat, one way....they are overcharging :o

According to channel 9 news this morning, All australians over the Age of 21 travelling to Thailand and Bali have to be accompanied by a responsible Adult!! if no responsible adults are available seek out the nearest available European adult for advice :D all Uk travellers over 21 must undergo , vigourous mental tests and foot and mouth checks, on completion be allowed to visit bars and houses of illrepute in groups of 4 accompanied by sterile Dockers supporters carrying handbags,these new rules should help support a better class of tourist THEY HOPE :o

According to channel 9 news this morning, All australians over the Age of 21 travelling to Thailand and Bali have to be accompanied by a responsible Adult!! if no responsible adults are available seek out the nearest available European adult for advice :D all Uk travellers over 21 must undergo , vigourous mental tests and foot and mouth checks, on completion be allowed to visit bars and houses of illrepute in groups of 4 accompanied by sterile Dockers supporters carrying handbags,these new rules should help support a better class of tourist THEY HOPE :o

Is that why germans and english and americans in pattaya over the age of 40 are accompanied by responsible adult 18 year old thai guardians.

According to channel 9 news this morning, All australians over the Age of 21 travelling to Thailand and Bali have to be accompanied by a responsible Adult!! if no responsible adults are available seek out the nearest available European adult for advice :D all Uk travellers over 21 must undergo , vigourous mental tests and foot and mouth checks, on completion be allowed to visit bars and houses of illrepute in groups of 4 accompanied by sterile Dockers supporters carrying handbags,these new rules should help support a better class of tourist THEY HOPE :D

Is that why germans and english and americans in pattaya over the age of 40 are accompanied by responsible adult 18 year old thai guardians.

Too funny H :D:o

According to channel 9 news this morning, All australians over the Age of 21 travelling to Thailand and Bali have to be accompanied by a responsible Adult!! if no responsible adults are available seek out the nearest available European adult for advice :D all Uk travellers over 21 must undergo , vigourous mental tests and foot and mouth checks, on completion be allowed to visit bars and houses of illrepute in groups of 4 accompanied by sterile Dockers supporters carrying handbags,these new rules should help support a better class of tourist THEY HOPE :D

English and americans over 18 yearold thai ladies :D germans and australians by puppywalkers :o

• 4 weeks later...

Just how many of these are duel citizens, lived in Australia for a couple of years got thier citizenship and passports and then have gone home to live. Civil unrest explodes in thier country ie the middle east and then they call on the Australian government and tax payer to get them out because they have dual citizenship. Flee back to australia for a couple of months until things cool down then return back to thier native country.

This is why the australia government cannot recoup the costs many have no intention of permanantly residing in australia it is only the dual citizenship and passport they want makes it easier for them to travel than on say a lebonese passport.

And, I'm sorry, but a boomerang is not an acceptable way of getting your waiter's attention in a busy restaurant. :D

:o

True aussie story.

Some years back I was buying some bootleg CD's (music type) in a store on Sukhumvit.

An Aussie came in and asked the clerk if she had anything by David Bowie (he pronounced it Die Vad Bow Wee)

The Thai clerk said no, but she had music by David Bowie (she said Day Vid Boo Wee).

I would have translated, but I was over by the rack of David Bowie CD's laughing my American a** off, and couldn't catch my breath to explain the problem to them.

beinging american I am glad you typed that because I can never understand a word a yank says.

ye ole com back now ye ear

• 1 year later...

:)

True aussie story.

beinging american I am glad you typed that because I can never understand a word a yank says.

ye ole com back now ye ear

G'day,Struth Digger, this threads takin the p.i.s.s out of us Aussie's , for cryin out loud I've had a gut full of this kind of racism towards us Aussies.

Seems like a full on case of wanting to be an Aussie to me.Mate whats wrong with mate anyway? cmon down to the local bowlo club or pub & have a gut full of schewies & I'll explain things in details, I'll draw you a mud map if you want so you know were to go.

I actually come from Darwin & have numerous accounts of being chased by Crocs & have caught 4 on fishing gear,by accident of course,

I'm a proud Aussie mate & I travel,I don't start trouble,I don't cause trouble,I don't look for trouble,but if someone starts trouble with me I ain't gunna back down mate,that's what being Aussie is about,we have guts,courage & give people a fair go,were proud.

So where the bloody hel_l are ya mate,get over here & experience us. Cheers Pondy ;0)

Wow i noticed the same alert from English foreign office back in 1973 i think when England became part of the EU. Immediately England decided to increase emmigration from Poland, Pakistan, USA, mid east etc etc to help share the tax burden because of the damage the english tourists were doing overseas, such as dying, being repatriated, consular assistance, yada yada yada all at the expense of the english tax payer.

As for the statements from the aussie govt that there not travel agencies or there to deal with aussies quickly in emergencies is probably why a substantial number of us have left the country to the english and the pollies to mis manage

:)