National Anthem & Girls

Neeranam

I was listening to the national anthem this morning, sung by a boy at the local school, when I realised that I have never seen/heard a girl singing it in public, that I remember. Never at any colleges or prathom or matayom school.

Maybe someone knows the answer to my question -

Are girls allowed to sing it?

Also if they are, why don't they.

If they aren't, is this fair?

Maybe boys do it as they are stronger than girls :o , here in Thailand anyway.

Girls are better singers though, generally IMO.

Edited by Neeranam

I was listening to the national anthem this morning, sung by a boy at the local school, when I realised that I have never seen/heard a girl singing it in public, that I remember. Never at any colleges or  prathom or matayom school.

Maybe someone knows the answer to my question -

Are girls allowed to sing it?

Also if they are, why don't they.

If they aren't, is this fair?

Maybe boys do it as they are stronger than girls :o , here in Thailand anyway.

Girls are better singers though, generally IMO.

I'd love to be able to fuel this one for you Neeranam... :D

but pooying as well as poochai are allowed to sing the national anthem. :D

I think it might just be coincidental that you haven't heard females singing it.

I think it might just be coincidental that you haven't heard females singing it.

Definately not coincidence, Jai Dee.

Have you ever heard a girl singing it?

Has anyone?

Occassionally I overhear my 12 yo daughter singing along to the one played at 6pm.

Can't say I recall ever seeing anyone sing it in public places. Standing to attention yes, singing...no.

Edited by Gazza

Calm down boys and girls - the clear answer to the question is "yes".

Just two days ago I overheard an attempt by the boys AND girls at the school of my daughter to sing the National Anthem and this was not the only occasion I heard the more beautiful gender singing it. Definitively not just a male thing.

Nowadays, some Thais, (males and females) admit, however, that they are not too aware of the exact wording anymore, particularly if they are out of school for a long time already. When a student they might have got a little overfed with the anthem and therefore they appear to be not too much in favor of singing it anymore.

Also if you just take a look at the wording the text surely goes better along with a manly than a soft voice. Singing about not being a coward in battle, readiness to sacrifice every drop of blood for the country and not accepting getting terroized by anyone is harder to associate with a female performer particularly if she is not of Tina Turner's but rather typical Thai appearance.

Guess the above goes for many National Anthems and not just the Thai one.

By the way, my little daughter tries to immediately shut me down when I occasionally start singing it (just practising). I guess either my voice is just too manly or is it because I am a horrible singer. :o

By the way, my little daughter tries to immediately shut me down when I occasionally start singing it (just practising). I guess either my voice is just too manly or is it because I am a horrible singer.  :o

And my teeruk immediately tries to shut me down when I whistle it. :D

Maybe she thinks it's being disrespectful :D

I'm not BTW, I just find it a catchy tune :D

I'm glad someone's been able to verify the topic though. Although I am fairly certain I've seen girls singing the anthem, I can't recall exactly where.

Just two days ago I overheard an attempt by the boys AND girls at the school of my daughter to sing the National Anthem and this was not the only occasion I heard the more beautiful gender singing it. Definitively not just a male thing.
Actually, I was meaning it being sung by a girl alone.
Nowadays, some Thais, (males and females) admit, however, that they are not too aware of the exact wording anymore, particularly if they are out of school for a long time already. When a student they might have got a little overfed with the anthem and therefore they appear to be not too much in favor of singing it anymore.

My mates son told me that all his school mates sing different words - to do with sticky rice. My wife knew the words too, to my astonishment.

Also if you just take a look at the wording the text surely goes better along with a manly than a soft voice. Singing about not being a coward in battle, readiness to sacrifice every drop of blood for the country and not accepting getting terroized by anyone is harder to associate with a female performer particularly if she is not of Tina Turner's but rather typical Thai appearance.

This is a good answer, thanks. Along the lines of what I thought - the male strength thing.

So girls are allowed to sing it, but noone has ever heard one sing it by herself in public. Thinking about other anthems - it is usually males who sing "Rule britania", and "God save the queen". Males must be more patriotic!

Edited by Neeranam

TH is a sexist society i.e. males are favoured by the system including no doubt singing the national anthem.

This is could be close to the truth. I just asked my wife about this, she said both men and women can sing the anthem but females gernerally don't because men are considered in charge/the boss and because of tradition and the powerful male voice. She said females have a sweet voice but not a powerful voice. It is traditionally sung by males and for major functions or for the King it would be seen as disrespectful if it was sung by a woman. But my wife did add that males and females are considered equal. Does that help or did I confuse you even more?

Well, some others sure like to contribute in the troll department:

> TH is a sexist society i.e. males are favoured by the system

> including no doubt singing the national anthem.

Then again I'm not in favour of enforcing a new rule at this forum that would require all posters to both have a brain and use it prior to posting. :o Then again perhaps a little extra caution-message could pop up that displays something like it "Are you sure what you're about to contribute isn't total rabid drivel? [Ok, sorry] [No problem, I'm cool] "

Anyway, anyone can just watch the daily 6pm national anthem clip on TV that will also show school girls singing it. 7 hours 10 minutes to go, please watch. :D

for the King it would be seen as disrespectful if it was sung by a woman

What total crap!

Don't you guys get tired of these TROLL postings from Neeranan? :o

Not so sure it was Neeranam that posted that... :blush:

And, just for interest... I'll be watching at 6pm tonight. :D

What total crap!

Don't you guys get tired of these TROLL postings from Neeranan? :D

Not so sure it was Neeranam that posted that... :blush:

Which is why I didn't quote him by name. Simply put, he is the nut who invited the other nuts (me, too!) to come out of their shells. He starts more drivel threads than anybody I have seen lately. :D

"Boss, that boy needs a good spanking to get his mind right" :o

Which is why I didn't quote him by name. Simply put, he is the nut who invited the other nuts (me, too!) to come out of their shells. He starts more drivel threads than anybody I have seen lately.  :D

"Boss, that boy needs a good spanking to get his mind right"  :D

Who are you calling a nut? :D

Gives us all something to talk about hey? :o

Keep up the good work Neeranam!!! :D

Life could become boring without it!!!

Please forgive my wife and I for our original post. She said she miss understood the question and that anyone can sing the National Anthem, male or female. It is generally the a male voice that starts off the Anthem and everybody joins in afterwards. We are sorry if we offended anyone.

Which is why I didn't quote him by name. Simply put, he is the nut who invited the other nuts (me, too!) to come out of their shells. He starts more drivel threads than anybody I have seen lately. 

"Boss, that boy needs a good spanking to get his mind right"

Are you for real?

Did I do something to upset you?

Go out in your large pick-up and you will feel better :o:D:D

I couldn't resist that.

I am still waiting for you to post a topic instead of slagging off mine.

Do you know there is an ignore button?

What total crap!

Don't you guys get tired of these TROLL postings from Neeranan?

Ha ha, if you all worked up, you lose the clarity to read the name of a poster :o

Today, at 7.50 h am at "Wahsoon", private school for girls at Soi Wat Pai Ngoen, Bangkok, neighboring Prem Ruedie Sueksa school I came across the missing link with my own ears:

"A SINGLE girl was singing the National Anthem and she did actually very well".

This should answer the question for one and forever:

"No, sexism when it comes to singing the National Anthem in Thailand."

What unsolved secret is next on the schedule? :o

Please forgive my wife and I for our original post. She said she miss understood the question and that anyone can sing the National Anthem, male or female. It is generally the a male voice that starts off the Anthem and everybody joins in afterwards. We are sorry if we offended anyone.

Hey, no worries mate. There is an utter nutter on thread confusing things.

Not quite the full shilling :o

Your post was very interesting and on topic!

Of course girls are allowed to sing it. It seem that if there are any males there though they don't.

Today, at 7.50 h am at "Wahsoon", private school for girls at Soi Wat Pai Ngoen, Bangkok, neighboring Prem Ruedie Sueksa school I came across the missing link with my own ears:

"A SINGLE girl was singing the National Anthem and she did actually very well".

This should answer the question for one and forever:

"No, sexism when it comes to singing the National Anthem in Thailand."

What unsolved secret is next on the schedule? 

Thanks Richard.

There is a prestigious Matayom school for girls called Stari Sri Suryothai that had a boy singing when I went there for a sports day. They must have borrowed him from somewhere. Anyone know if they do this on normal days?

I teach at a huge co-ed govt. secondary school where the anthem is always led by one GIRL. It was originally an all-girls school. The formerly all-boys school across town, where I taught last year - I don't remember, but I think it was usually by one GIRL. And they allowed obvious ladyboys to raise the flag.

Which is why I didn't quote him by name. Simply put, he is the nut who invited the other nuts (me, too!) to come out of their shells. He starts more drivel threads than anybody I have seen lately. 

"Boss, that boy needs a good spanking to get his mind right"

Are you for real?

Did I do something to upset you?

Go out in your large pick-up and you will feel better :o:D:D

I couldn't resist that.

I am still waiting for you to post a topic instead of slagging off mine.

Do you know there is an ignore button?

" If I drop my used digital camera in the washing machine, will Pantip Plaza give me a free new camera??"

"Not enough office staff are wai'ing me! What will the children think?!!"

Two topics of two of your recent thread starters. TROLL postings by any definition

'nuff said. :D

As for me, I wouldn't want to miss these moments either... Like when reading some news stories...."What an idiot!" I sometimes laugh out loud :D

Kinda lightens my day :D

Thanks for those moments, Neeranam. :D

• Haha 1