Tot Adsl

PETERTHEEATER

For the last few days access to International sites using a TOT ADSl line has been very very slow. The customer support give the usual 'it's your Pc 'response.

Domestic site access is better but not good.

Ironically, I switched from TT&T (Max Net) to TOT 18 months ago because of slow connection problems. They use TOT lines yet their service is now quicker and cheaper so I will have to switch back again.

Sometimes these slow periods turn out to be undersea cable damage or major route changes through other countries yet the Customer Support seem ignorant of the real reason choosing instead to blame the user or local switching problems.

Anyone else having this problem from Hua Hin area?

Not being a PC 'geek' I had to Google your Open DNS term and am now trying to access a site but it's sl-o-o-o-o-o-w. LOL

Over 12 minutes and waiting for the Open DSL site to open........Ha Ha.

Edited by PETERTHEEATER

For the last few days access to International sites using a TOT ADSl line has been very very slow. The customer support give the usual 'it's your Pc 'response.

Ironically, I switched from TT&T (Max Net) to TOT 18 months ago because of slow connection problems. They use TOT lines yet their service is now quicker and cheaper so I will have to switch back again.

Sometimes these slow periods turn out to be undersea cable damage or major route changes through other countries yet the Customer Support seem ignorant of the real reason choosing instead to blame the user or local switching problems.

Hi Peter,

My TT&T (Max Net) is running fine. Just downloaded a 59Mb file this morning and the average download speed was about 18KB/sec and as you know I am just down the street from you, so probably on the cabling link.

Hi Peter,

My TT&T (Max Net) is running fine. Just downloaded a 59Mb file this morning and the average download speed was about 18KB/sec and as you know I am just down the street from you, so probably on the cabling link.

Thanks, I shall have to switch back to Max Net. I am trying to set up the Open DSL server but cannot get to the TOT router address!

I have just tried (twice) to download a simple 1.6 Mb file which would take 28 minutes (says the IP) and I have been getting speeds of LESS than 1 Kb!!! per second.

Edited by PETERTHEEATER

Hi Peter,

Thanks, I shall have to switch back to Max Net. I am trying to set up the Open DSL server but cannot get to the TOT router address!

Just been running some other OVERSEAS downloads and getting average of 82.8KB/sec. Realise now that the 18KB/sec WAS slow, but that was from overseas ALSO. Just had a look at the computer forum and lots of other people are complaining of the same problem on TOT.

Hi

I used to have TOT ADSL up at Kao Takiab and had nothing but problems with slow connections. Have now moved home (nearer to town) and had the 4mb TT&T Indy package. This had been fine but with the school holidays this became very very slow with many times the site not found. Since I need a decent connection I have now changed to the 3mb TT&T Premier Package which, although on paper, slower it is in reality much faster than before. The contention ratios is much better with the Premier package. I would suggest just trying the 2mb Premier package which is pretty much the same price as the 4mb Indy to see how that goes. I think the 'surfing' speed will be comparable but obviously downloading could be slower - depending on time of day anyway!

I changed package yesterday. Went into TT&T office requested new package - given username and password there and then and new package set up within 2 hours - for once I am actually pleased with the internet here!

One note: If any users need access to port 8443 for Plesk Server access then the TT&T Indy Package is no good. They seriously restrict port useage. I couldn't really get any access until I changed to Premier and now fine and dandy :o

Hope my experience helps out there.

TJ

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a 100 hour package for 300 baht through laptop connecting 1tocall on my phone....cant believe how quick it is...absolutly spot on with no problems....b**locks to all that TOT and TT&T stufff..they wanted 4k for connection and then at least 700 baht a month

Here out in Cha-am I have been using ToT and Cat next to each other and compared their performance. At the end the CAT performance was better so I canceled ToT.

Concerning the international trafic, CAT was much faster. When pinging the connections I found that CAT were using much less servers all the way down to Europe causing less speed loss then ToT.

The firewalls in Bangkok and at the PoP internationaly are causing a delay there is nothing you can do about.

I have the same slow international speeds , I called TOT and they told me that they had problems with the international links , about a month ago they added a link and they are having trouble with this.

TOT helpdesk said he had no clue when it would be fixed as he also was waiting to hear from the engineering department.

• 2 weeks later...
from my experience tot are the worst internet providers in thailand. customer service "hmm no problems reported on our network, does your modem have any lights on?"

Down here in Khao Lak I have the TOT ADSL goldcyber package - pay a year up-front and get a free wireless router. As well as internet I need ADSL for the TV (PSI Dreambox). Despite having lived in Thailand for 20 years, it didn't occur to me that that the TOT system might not work. Oh dear. I wish I'd read thaivisa.com before signing up.

In the last month, the service has been down for 11 days out of 30. At other times, particularly evenings, it becomes so slow that the browser regularly times out. The staff on the complaints lines, who now instantly recognise my voice, are always helpful and can generally fix the problem fairly quickly during office hours which are 5 days a week. But my ADSL has a habit of disconnecting on Friday afternoons which means that I'm without service for whole weekends, and on the Friday before Songkran I was told that I would have to wait until after the holiday. Not only that, but NONE of the TOT contact telephone numbers that I have found are answered outside office hours.

This is an absolute disgrace. PEA are on duty fixing electrical power outages 24/7. If one is trying to operate a business, telecomms links are equally vital. Why hasn't TOT got a similar service? Why do its mechanics knock off at 5pm? And why won't they even pick up the ****ing phone?

Aunty Edna