Leaking Windows High Rise Condo

Hi All,

About a year ago I bought a 10 year old, 28th floor, condo. The renovation is almost done now. Today we had some rain in BKK and my gf saw water coming in through the window frame destroying the wallpaper. It seems a problem in many other units too.

Silicone or replacing the seals between the opening part and the fixed part or replacing the entire window/frame should solve the problem right?

Anyone know a company who deals with this? I have asked a few people but no solution yet.

Thanks for your help

They need to find out exactly what is leaking - between frame and cement? Between sliding glass and rigid frame? Between glass and frame? Blocked drain in frame itself? Window not closed tight/seal bad?

Yes they should be able to fix. But fix will depend on cause.

Normally glass shops here in suburbs deal with windows but not sure where they are located downtown.

Edited by lopburi3

In a situation like this who is responsible for repairing. Since it is the exterior of building one would think the building maintenance fund should cover repair. Anyone know for sure?

In theory yes, but you would have to speak to the Juristic person of the building....

This is a major pain in the ass and a common problem with the shoddy construction here.

The best fix if you want it done correctly the first time is to remove the whole window and have it refitted making sure the exterior frame is properly sealed (adding new cement if needed) then the frame being siliconed on the outside and inside.

There's a company called "Home Renovation" in the phone book with a number of branches, they're okay wth windows they train their staff quite well so your'e unlikely to get a botched job. There's a branch out on Sukaphibaan 3 Road that we used. I wouldn't use Homepro, got questionable service there

You say the building has gone through a renovation program. I would have thought scaffolding would have been used on the exterior, if this is the case it would be impossible to seal the framework from the outside with silicone.Do you have a balcony to access the windows?. If so silicone can be used to stop anything penatrating inside the property.Has this problem been an oversite of the contractors?,if so get them back to fix it.If you have to do it yourself ask for the correct silicone.Frame sealent and glass sealent are two different products. Good luck.

thanks for the replies so far.

The windows turn open, not slide. I just came from the condo and it seems it is the seal between the fixed part of the frame and the part that opens. It is a "brush" type seal which is quite common as fa as I know. How to replace it with rubber or so?

One of the window frames I had replaced by a completely new one although exactly the same design but it is still leaking. The water does not seem to come in between the frame and the water and the silicone also is still ok it seems.

I have had someone install small angled "roofs", for lack of a better word, above the window frames but they don't seem to help.

Looking forward to more suggestions.

P.S. I renovated my unit but not the entire building was renovated.

You can contact Khun Nok. Telephone - 081-870-4174

If the frame of the window pane is an old design with no slots to install the rubber seal, you will need to change the window pane (frame and glass).

Also, introduce Khun Nok to the Juristic office as other unit owners may also like their leaks solved.

Wallpaper on plastered walls in a humid country? .....hhhmmmm I wonder whether they stick wallpaper onto brickwalls in the UK.

Sliding aluminium windows?

Perfectly do-able, wall paper paste in Humid countries is different to paste in cooler countries, same with paint.

These type of windows usually have drain holes on the bottom where the brush type seal is. Check if they are open, dirt will accumulate in them and block drainage.

That is ofcourse if the water leaking in comes from the bottom of the windows.

Hmm, you have rain-damaged wallpaper, and you consider that to be URGENT. If you have not done so already, contact the condo management office. The building repair fund will cover the cost of the repairs, and the damage to your unit.