Dreambox Setup

Prasert

I'm gonna need some help with the following:

I'm trying to get my Dreambox 500 working with UBC. Pointed a satellite dish at the Thaicom5 bird, connected the coazial cable to the dreambox, turned it on and followed the setup instructions.

Problem is that the SNR keeps bouncing between 55% and 60%. Too low to get a lock. So I thought, dish not aligned correctly. But to be sure, I took the box to my neighbour, connected the coaxial cable from his perfect aligned dish to the dreambox and went through the setup again.

Same problem = maximum SNR 60%.

I guess I'm missing something here. Anyone can help me out?

My neighbour's LNB is probably the 'cheap UBC' version, which gives a perfect signal on his DStv receiver but not on the Dreambox.

So I guess I can rule out a problem with the LNB.

But please do tell me how to setup the LNB in the dreambox. This is the first time I'm trying to get some hands-on experience with satellite TV, so I'm still learning....

First find out what type of LNB you have. Sounds like it has a LO of 11.300 and NOT a Universal one.

You need to turn your Dreambox on.

Press MENU

Press SETUP

Press SERVICE SERCHING

Press SATELLITE CONFIGURATION

On the next screen you will see a list of Satellites. After the name of the satellite is a box with called LNB, the entry in that box is probably "0". Move the curser to this box and press OK/ENTER

You will see two lines. LOF/L and LOF/H change the entries on both these lines to "11300"

After that you press GREEN to save the data. You will only need to make this change once, not on every LNB box with "0" in it.

Now go back out of the menu and try to scan again.

Once the stations have been found you will probably only be able to see a couple of stations, the rest will give a black screen, unless you have a real card (with the correct cam software/image installed) or other method of getting keys.

Chris

Edited by lor

First find out what type of LNB you have. Sounds like it has a LO of 11.300 and NOT a Universal one.

You will see two lines. LOF/L and LOF/H change the entries on both these lines to "11300"

Thank you very much, as this did the trick!

I'll catch up and read more about this.

• 3 weeks later...

Question.

If my Condo supplies me with SAT TV, and all cabling has been done, can I just attach the box to the antenna socket supplied in my condo and use a Dreambox to gain access to other channels?

Would welcome any answers.

How about cards, I have seen them advertised for sale locally, is this legal, and could I use?

Question.

If my Condo supplies me with SAT TV, and all cabling has been done, can I just attach the box to the antenna socket supplied in my condo and use a Dreambox to gain access to other channels?

How about cards, I have seen them advertised for sale locally, is this legal, and could I use?

I'd also like to know the answer to this, can anyone please post some info? thanks!

Question.

I'd also like to know the answer to this, can anyone please post some info? thanks!

The simple answer is no, as the condo will in most cases will only feed RF signals via its MATV system, not the satellite IF signals you need for your DM box.

• 3 weeks later...
Question.

The simple answer is no, as the condo will in most cases will only feed RF signals via its MATV system, not the satellite IF signals you need for your DM box.

I will have the basic UBC package, so with that and then the Dreambox, I should be able to gain access to the other channels. Yes?

I will have the basic UBC package, so with that and then the Dreambox, I should be able to gain access to the other channels. Yes?

If you watch the channels through a UBC decoder then you can use any other decoder. If you receive the channels through an antenna cable going straight into your television set, then you cannot use a dreambox.

Do note that the dreambox needs an official smartcard from UBC, for which you will have to pay subscription, to watch the UBC channels legally...

The Dreambox will show whatever channel is received over the coaxial cable from the dish.

So the channels depend on your satellite dish(es).

Which channels you can decode depends on:

-the smartcard present in the dreambox

-smartcard information received over the LAN connection.

Edit: monty beat me to it...

Edited by Prasert

The Dreambox will show whatever channel is received over the coaxial cable from the dish.

So the channels depend on your satellite dish(es).

Which channels you can decode depends on:

-the smartcard present in the dreambox

-smartcard information received over the LAN connection.

Edit: monty beat me to it...

If you have the PSI C-band dish, you can get the Dreambox "Multichoice" package, Baht 6500 per year, that gives you the following:

4 movie channels

BBC Prime, BBC World, BBC Food

CNN, Sky News, Bloomberg

JOTV, TCM

Channel O Music, MTV

National Geog, Discovery

Cartoon Network

African channels: TV5, ASBC-ABC, AFMAG

RTPI

Travel, MNET Gameshow, Reality-TV, FTV

and if you're a sports fan:

ESPN Africa

Supersport 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

A dream indeed. One snag. Dreambox needs a ADSL connection, so...

... if you live remote from Bangkok, where the internet signal is sent from, the TOT ADSL is so crap that you get a blank screen most of the time.

I live in Phang Nga...

If you have the PSI C-band dish, you can get the Dreambox "Multichoice" package, Baht 6500 per year, that gives you the following:

4 movie channels

BBC Prime, BBC World, BBC Food

CNN, Sky News, Bloomberg

JOTV, TCM

Channel O Music, MTV

National Geog, Discovery

Cartoon Network

African channels: TV5, ASBC-ABC, AFMAG

RTPI

Travel, MNET Gameshow, Reality-TV, FTV

and if you're a sports fan:

ESPN Africa

Supersport 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

... if you live remote from Bangkok, where the internet signal is sent from, the TOT ADSL is so crap that you get a blank screen most of the time.

I live in Phang Nga...

Please do tell me where I can get a 1-year card from Multichoice for only 6500 baht!

(and I'll even share it with you oops....)

I live in Phang Nga...

Please do tell me where I can get a 1-year card from Multichoice for only 6500 baht!

(and I'll even share it with you oops....)

You missed the important point.. They are talking about cardshare client / server setups.. Any time your nets down, or slow, then your sugnal encryption kicks in or breaks up when slow.

And 6500 !! Your being stung.. 2500 per year for 4 sat systems was the price I was told.