How Is Eva Air? (lon-bkk)

robbiecia

EVA air seem well priced right now

Do you have any comments regarding their service and legroom in economy?

The flight times are very similar (Lon to Bkk) with Thai air, but Eva are much cheaper.

Am familiar with Thai, but have never used Eva.

Any comments would be most appreciated

I used Eva Air from Amsterdam maybe a dozen times to Bangkok. Just .. an airliner. Same like China Air, KLM or Singapore or Thai or ..

You get a seat, some food and rnk, and you arrive a 12 h later at destination, together with your lugguage..

Only once at Don Muang, ythey forgot to unload my lugguage, so arrived in my hotel next day, when back from Taipeh. I only needed a good suit the day of arrival..

Excellent airline!

4 the last 6 yrs, i fly Eva Air BKK to Vienna. the years b4 i tried many different airlines, but with Eva Air i am most satisfied!

its usually on time, convienient to book via net (seat booking 2), price&food/service is ok. i could not say anything negativ...

I fly this route a minimum 4 times every year for the last 5 years, and have tried the majority of flight options, including the non direct arabian airlines, who i would like to add were very good, but unfortunately, it meant a further 3 to 4 hours on journey time

I have tried BA, Quantas, Thai and Eva, and all more than once, and i would avoid BA/Quantas like the plague, as the in flight service was awful... The Thai air fleet is all old 747's, the service was reasonable, but the planes were old and tired, and it was the one screen at each bulkhead for the in flight entertainment, and no choice of films

Eva have always been excellent service with polite smiling hostesses, the food was good, the planes modern and all with personal tv and a small but adequate choice of around 15 movies to choose from.

My only area of concern is the reduced baggage allowance of 20kg, and a somewhat strict enforcement of this at check in.. (I had 22.5 kg and was made to open my case and remove items in front of a somewhat annoyed queue behind me)

But all in all, if its a direct flight, Eva have long since been the cheapest fare, and get my vote every time...but if you dont mind the extra journey time and a changeover in UAE, then i would probably plump for Ethiad who were very good and cheaper than Eva.

Flew with Eva last October, economy. Very surprised to be sitting upstairs in the pod. Legroom more than enough and service very good. Only gripe was that, having booked in on-line, when we got to Suvarnabhumi, the computer at the ' booked in on-line ' counter was out of order so we had to queue up like normal. Will definately use Eva next time we fly, and, being an Evergreen club member, we can choose our seats when we buy the tickets -- very handy.

Evergreen De Luxe is an excellent option that offers service and facilities that lie somewhere between Economy and Business Class. I have flown with them perhaps 15 times from LON to BKK ... The in flight service is good but my problem was being able to use the accumulated mileage award vouchers. I have 4 and it has ben the same old story on 3 occasions ... Staff in the BKK and Taipei offices are very unhelpful and you will only allow you to proffer the award vouchers for an upgrade when you check in and every time I have been told "Sorry sir no upgrades available on this flight!" So I have switched to Ethiad... They also charged me $400 excess baggage from LON to BKK. Which is a long story. Basically the connecting flight arrived late in LON and EVA were all ready boarding and it was a take it or leave it situation. They said I was 10 kilo over the Business Class allowance and that we could discuss it after the flight departed. They then hijacked my luggage in BKK and would not release it until I paid the additional money... I know a girl who used to work for them and she said that the strict management style from the Head Office leaves no room for negotiation. On another occasion they also made me buy a return ticket for my daughter who was only flying 1 way and you guessed it refused to reimburse me as promised... That all said the in flight service and the value for money is hard to beat. That said I got a great promo deal on Business Class with Ethiad which was only 8,000 Baht more than EVA Evergreen De Luxe

I have flown with EVA before and it was good service. The cheap tickets allow NO changes to date etc so be aware of this when buying. I am off to the UK on the 1st May so will let you know. Oh also Evergreen (or whatever they call it now) is excellent and worth the upgrade if you have the money.. I dont :o

Allan

I have flown EVA air four times from the USA, Los Angeles and Seattle to BKK. Each time I always book late and never in advance as I never know when my contracts end. Prices are always about the same. EVA is fine. Usually they use 777s but have a few 747 short bodies also. Individual tv and game console in the seat back. Food is fine. Same as China airlines.

I have changed tickets twice while over in Thailand. Once it cost me 25 USD. Another time it was free. I was there during 2008 airport fiasco. I actually changed my ticket to come back a bit earlier than planned, although still after the airport had been cleared. EVA called me back and confirmed the flight change. No problems at all.

I actually prefer 747s over 777s. I think the 777 flies a bit harsher and the new seats are a bit firmer. I like the cushy buick ride .

I have been flying EVA from BKK to LHR for more than 12yrs now and until last Oct 10 times a year and like another poster have their gold card which allows access to their 1st class lounge, they do have several nice new 777 but as stated the 747s are getting long in the tooth but I understand they have done away with 1st and business class in the pod which will give a lot of extra room, but there is no doubt in my mind that the service has deteriorated and the prices have also increased by a considerable amount, and one other point In the time I've been flying them they have never left LHR on time they arrive here on schedule and last week we were kept waiting for more than an hour after departure time with no one giving an explanation but at the end of the day they are still better than virtually all the other carriers.

I actually prefer 747s over 777s. I think the 777 flies a bit harsher and the new seats are a bit firmer. I like the cushy buick ride .

I noticed that too when I flew on EVA last year, the "ride" was quite harsh. Granted, my only reference are 777-200ERs on ANA and United, but both felt more solid. I don't know if this is a -200/-300 difference. In the early days my cushiest rides were all on EVA and the (interim?) western pilots would do these very lightfooted landings.

I was trying to book TPE-BKK for late May, and for some reason EVA didn't put anything out for the local websites to sell (costs more on their own website). So I had to grab tickets on CI because seats were disappearing by the hour.

Edited by mezzoninny

I flew Eva from London a few years ago. It was okay, but in-flight entertainment was very limited: a few TVs in the aisle kind of entertainment. I much prefer the middle eastern airlines, but then I like a couple of hours stopover halfway to relieve the boredom...

I have been back and forth from London with EVA for over 10 years and would rate them very highly. I have always had good entertainment with individual screens to view. Once I flew with ETHIAD who were the pits in terms of shoddy service and agressive stewardesses.The staff were poorly trained and did not like dealing with young children. EVA stand out in my judgement even if you have to travel 'Bear-pit' class !