Two New(old) Bikes From Tiger Motorcycles. What Ya Think?

thaicbr

What do you think?  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi all. Some pictures of the 110cc Retro scooter and the 150cc TT 150.

Prices are 29,800baht for the Retro and 49,800 for the TT150. PLEASE do the poll.

post-62652-1238513551_thumb.jpg

post-62652-1238513632_thumb.jpg

TRY not to be distracted by the rather wonderful legs sat on the Retro :o:D

Edited by PeaceBlondie

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Prices are 29,800baht for the Retro and 49,800 for the TT150. PLEASE do the poll.

I keep getting this error message ( and i ticked the radio button), i tried on firefox & google chrome withsame results

mbox

The error returned was:

You did not choose a poll choice to vote against. Please go back and ensure you click on one of the radio buttons next to the choice you wish to vote for

That TT is sharp, other than the pipe. If they high mounted it a la the Triumph Scrambler it would be about perfect I'd reckon. Also dropping a Boxer engine in there, even if it's only the 200cc (I'm a fat bastard who'd need the extra power), would talk me out of around 55K THB for a uncommon bike to tool around on.

The Retro just doesn't do it for me, although I could see it be fairly popular with a segment of the population who are nostalgic.

That TT is sharp, other than the pipe. If they high mounted it a la the Triumph Scrambler it would be about perfect I'd reckon. Also dropping a Boxer engine in there, even if it's only the 200cc (I'm a fat bastard who'd need the extra power), would talk me out of around 55K THB for a uncommon bike to tool around on.

The Retro just doesn't do it for me, although I could see it be fairly popular with a segment of the population who are nostalgic.

I like both and would buy the retro for wife, the TT is nice but not in a seating position that i feel comfortable with...

The TT is a good idea but it is out of proportion. The wheelbase is too short, have a look how far the tail sections sticks out past the rear mudguard. It looks like it has some nice design touches, I wonder if it is a production model? For the money it would be better to buy an old Honda CG/CB from the '70's and do it up.

The Retro is basically a new version of the Honda C70 which has a huge following in Thailand. You could buy an original one for less money fully restored though but people like to just get one quick without the work.

They will probably sell as many as their other models which isn't saying much but good on them for trying to be different and retro.

I just wish that Enfield were selling their bikes in Thailand.

Polls are hard to do right, and that one is fatally flawed. You need more choices for each.

I saw my very first Smart CX125 today at the traffic light. Then he saw my taillights, and could see me no more.

I have now seen two non-Joker, civilian Tigers in northern Thailand. I saw none in five days in central Thailand this week. They do not register on the radar screen. You may as well advertise that cute ice cream wagon with the umbrella that is on the only Tiger brochure I ever found. Or maybe it is for selling green somtam.

I like both and would buy the retro for wife, the TT is nice but not in a seating position that i feel comfortable with...

But you'd look really, really cool on it!

I have now seen two non-Joker, civilian Tigers in northern Thailand. I saw none in five days in central Thailand this week. They do not register on the radar screen. You may as well advertise that cute ice cream wagon with the umbrella that is on the only Tiger brochure I ever found. Or maybe it is for selling green somtam.

I see Boxers all over in western Nakhon Sawan, all police rides natch, but there's a few Jokers tooling around and I've even seen one of those ice cream carts--he's in the marketplace all the time in our village.

As far as styling goes, as mentioned earlier I really like the TT. Of course I'm not Martha Stewart either....

Edited by dave_boo

But you'd look really, really cool on it!

Don't think so , but hey maybe for others ...

Bung the problem with going the restored route on the Retro is availability of c70's and that alot of them are not Registered anymore. And try finding a Honda cg/cb in Thailand at the moment. the wheelbase is the pretty much the same as the cg as well. both are going to be production models. The Retro in May and the TT in June. I have a Retro on order for the girlfriend. And a friend is going to get a TT. Tiger had more new bikes than any other manufacturer at the show.

The sales manager also told me that they are ready to commit to the Thai market again, having learnt from their mistakes..which bless them have been many.time will see. Tiger were the Kawasaki assembler previous to 1997 and actually built the original Kawasaki Rayong factory. but went belly up in the 1997 crises. Then later built up a good dealer network (all the old Tiger signs) then made the HUGE mistake of selling to BigC. Who found they could not sell the bikes and DUMPED them on the market at vastly reduced prices, pissing the dealers off intensely. WELL thats the story i have been told.. sounds about right.

DAVE you only have to ask and if the pipe can be done it will be.

Allan

MESSAGE TO MODS CAN YOU FIX MY POLL, please

Edited by thaicbr

Peace. why do i need more for each?

AND can you get it fixed so it works. also can you reset it as it is reading incorrectly. Thanks

Also do Honda waves keep up with you on your Cbr150. If so then valid point otherwise not really valid is it.

Also i seem to remember that you have never found an official current Tiger dealer. And that may be due to the things as mentioned in my 2nd post.

Thanks Allan

Edited by thaicbr

Ok every one who is interested. Khun Pariya at Tiger sent this to me reference the available colours so i thought i would post for you. I have ordered a blue Retro for my girlfriend.it also looks like there may be a different seat available for the TT but that is to be confirmed.

post-62652-1238521229_thumb.jpg

It is strange that somebody posted a comparison of two motorcycles not in this topic, also performance? I bet that most people who see the two new Tiger motorcycles understand that it is not about performance.

At least Tiger is showing something new, bigger then 110cc, how about Honda? If you interested in the latest Honda scooter or bike you better go to your local dealer, because the dealer has more models then they show on the Bangkok Motor show. It is even worse, they not only show all models, but they also have no information about some models you can find in the dealer showrooms right now.

If it was too the information desk at the motor show, Peaceblondie was riding a class/retro bike himself as I cannot recall the last time I saw the CBR 150R at a Bangkok Motor Show. It was probably 2007… the last time I saw the CBR 150R, and since then the Honda bike has not serious model or accessories changes and all we now know is that the CBR 150R in with this current specifications will go out of production in about 6 months (maybe sooner).

Edited by Richard-BKK

Peace. why do i need more for each?

AND can you get it fixed so it works. also can you reset it as it is reading incorrectly. Thanks

Also do Honda waves keep up with you on your Cbr150. If so then valid point otherwise not really valid is it.

Also i seem to remember that you have never found an official current Tiger dealer. And that may be due to the things as mentioned in my 2nd post.

Thanks Allan

Alan, I probably cannot fix your poll. You probably need a third option for each category. But I will have a try at it.

No, of course Honda Waves never keep up with my CBR150. Nor did the Tiger Smart 125 this week.

Indeed, I never found a Tiger dealer in northern Thailand. I was given a brochure at the dead dealership, and was told on the Chiang Mai forum where two active dealerships were. But I could not make sense of the addresses and did not follow up. There are no civilian Boxers here; the marque is nonexistent here, in my personal opinion. I have seen three Ducatis here. I refuse to take seriously any 'manufacturer' for which you virtually have to travel to the factory.

///Added: I think I fixed the poll

No, RichardBKK, only you know when the Honda CBR150R will go out of production. Maybe the Honda people do not know. I figure my 2008 is good for 55,000 km by which time I can buy a new BMW K1500. :o

Thank Blondie. I now see what ya mean about not complete thanks again :o

Also i have asked Khun Pariya for a dealer address list. might be a few days or so. I am sure that more dealers will soon be added as that was part of the reason for the fairly large presence at the motor show.

Allan

Hi Peaceblondie,

I'm pretty sure that the CEO of Honda knows exact when the CBR 150R go's out of production, did he not say something in his New Year speech? Was it not something about Honda Thailand will only sell two-wheelers equipped with PGM-FI by the end of this year? So lets hope that the Honda CBR 150R get its "i" finally. Personal I not belief in it....

I like the Tiger TT150, maybe an idea for my birthday, anyway I not want to turn this into a Honda vs Tiger discussion, clearly the CBR 150R is sport motorcycle. I'm sure that anybody buying a Tiger TT150 is not buying it to impress friends with performance...

Edited by Richard-BKK

I find it amusing that Tiger named two of their colours, 'Yellow Ferrari' and 'Red Ferrari'.

As for the bikes, I'd consider a TT if it had a bigger engine and if I knew the suspension would cope with my weight and those nice, undulating, patched over for the umpteenth time roads we get here.

ZINGED They didnt name them they are Ferrari colours :o . What i find interesting about this is that Tiger are at least trying to bring new bikes to market that are a little different than the norm. And retro and classic look bikes should also sell well here in Thailand. I have asked Khun Pariya if they can look at an SR400 type clone using the boxer 250 rs as a base. we shall wait and see. They also had a Sachs x-trail 250 on display wich is interesting but at about 100,000 i think the d-tracker would be better value.....let ya know once i have tried the Sachs. :D

Allan

Ok we now know about the bike prices thanks to you Allan, but How much for the legs ?

& are they a stock sales item at Tigers factory or just experimental ?

Bros

Tony ummmm i think we know pretty much how much the legs are as well...... and sometimes they end up more expensive than the bikes :o

Oh and they were special order for the motor show.

Allan

nice legs allan,

i had a glance on both bikes and they both look great . The TT 150 is a bit too small for foreigners i think. I'll test it at the factory.

And the retro looked even better than other reproductions at display in BKK

charlie

Charlie i kind of agree with you about the TT, but it was designed for the Thai people. Saying that my friend who is about 6'2 and maybe 95kilos is gonna buy one, when he sat on it it didn't look THAT bad but Khun Pariya already said they will have to change the seat for him i'm thinking more like the color code chart seat.

Allan

Hi :o

THE RETRO!!!! Last year at the Motor Show you couldn't get me away from Honda's Super Cub, i am totally in love with that bike and that is positively the only bike with a four-stroke-engine i would ever buy. But Honda are stupid enough NOT to sell it in Thailand....... new, that is. And getting a second hand one is a gamble as i only want the 50cc.

HOWEVER now Tiger suddenly changed my mind. There's a Super Cub with 110 cc. Ok, not from Honda, but it looks EXACTLY like one. Sorry, Honda, you have lost now. If i had the money, i would go for the Tiger, fullstop.

I am just curious as to what does Honda say about this "copying" of their Super Cub, which is still being made after all, in it's 52nd year now?

Kind regards.....

Thanh

It comes to something when Tiger are selling a copy of a Honda "retro" bike in a (former) Honda stronghold.

Honda seem to be complacently wallowing in past glories, but they have lost huge ground to Yamaha's Mio, Nuovo and, massively of late, Fino.

At the motor show Kawasaki had some nice bikes, including the ZX10, and I also sat on the new Hayabusa, R6, and all the BMW's. The girls on the Tiger stand had a real glint in their eyes. The only stand that didn't draw me in was Honda. Just boring. No decent big bikes or commitment to sell them, the brand seems much more dedicated to marketing dull variations of an already dull product.

The Cub is a beautiful classic design, and I think it will sell well. The question is, why aren't Honda selling this ? It would have created a real buzz at the motor show to see this on the Honda stand. Amazing Thailand.

I am seriously thinking about getting one. Does anybody know if the Tiger build quality has improved from those 1 year old, rusty and worn out looking Jokers I used to see around ?

Cheers

Hi.

Regarding the Super Cub, Honda had it at the Motor Show last year (only one) and the year before (a whole bunch of them, namely various models and modified ones). I obviously (want one!!) asked about them, and they said "it's made in Japan, to sell it in Thailand it would require the import tax which would drive the price up to beyond 70,000 Baht.... nobody would buy it".

I would, at that time (not now, can't afford it). But even if one WANTED, they wouldn't sell it... as i precisely asked about the possibility to have one imported. "No, sorry, we can not do that". But i pay?? "Sorry, not possible".

Two questions arise: Why does Honda not make them HERE, and why can Tiger make them available for that price, are they made in Thailand?

Honda used to make Super Cubs in Thailand....... and they still sell like fresh cake in Japan and many other places, how else would the very same bike be in production since 52 years (nearly unchanged, a 2009 one looks just like a 1960 one) and have sold well over 60 million of them?? The Super Cub is THE bike that mobilized Asia - and much of the rest of the world.

One day i'll have one, either an original Super Cub 50cc or this Tiger.

Best regards.....

Thanh

INTJ.Are these Tigers any good though, that's the big question ?????????

The answer to your question depends on you. I think that Tiger have made vast inroads in both quality and workmanship. BUT they are still a small manufacturer so the overall quality may not match the big 4. but it comes close price for price. example, i believe the cheapest Honda wave is 34,000baht against the Tiger at 29,800baht.

Thanh the Retro 110cc is indeed made in Thailand, one reason they are cheap is publicity and also Tiger are HAVE RESURRECTED an older 110cc engine (all current bikes are 115cc and above) to keep costs down and create an interesting bike. I have not ridden the Retro or the TT150 yet but i am hoping to after the motor show.

This poll has certainly been interesting and i am hoping that Tiger and other smaller Company's make more and more inroads into the Thai market.

I am sure if anybody is interested a group tour of Tigers factory could be arranged. Allan