Seatran

High Speed Ferry Service Tuesday, 31 March 2009

By Weapon Katharina.

On Monday 30th of March 2009, an agreement has been signed between Wanna Pty Ltd (Subsidiary of Seatran Ferry Services) & Rushton Pty Ltd for the purchase of a high speed catamaran.

The state of the art catamaran is to be used on a new route from Bangkok to the southern islands in the Gulf of Thailand.

The new ferry is projected to be in service by May 2010.It will be capable of carrying 240 passengers & 54 vehicles’. Spokesman for Wanna Pty Ltd, stated that the company is looking forward to this new era of transport, as the new ferry will offer another alternative for travel between the capital & the islands.

It's anticipated that initially the ferry will service the holiday island of Koh Samui, with a view of expansion to Koh Phangan .It's shallow draught allows access to many areas.

The Rushton ferry is capable of operating in heavy weather & is currently being used by many European countries. Its state of the art design allows it to skim over waves with minimum discomfort to passengers, due to it’s wave piercing & ride control systems.

Powered by 4 x Resilently mounted Ruston 16RK270 marine diesel engines at 4050 KW each, are capable of cruising at 40 knots with a fuel burn of 120 litres an hour (clean diesel).

Waterjets 4X lips LJ115DX.Two waterjets configured for steering & reverse.

Waterjet technology, shallow draught and state of the art electronic control aid Rushton vessels to access small ports with limited infrastructure, shallow water or tidal restrictions. With appropriate port infrastructure, complete discharge and loading can be achieved in less than 20 minutes.

Within one minute of lines being released the ship can be off the berth and completing a 180 degree turn before accelerating to harbour speed, and in less than three minutes she can be at 40 knots.

During maneuvering it takes only ten seconds to change from full ahead thrust to full astern thrust; thus the ship will stop in a fraction of the time of conventional craft. The separation of waterjets in each hull creates a much greater steering lever during a turn than a conventional ship or high speed monohull, where the waterjets or rudders are located close to the centreline.

The Wave Piercing Catamaran can make a 360 degree turn in its own length; not requiring a bow-thruster brings savings in weight, hull drag and a quieter ride at sea

The company estimates the travel time between Bangkok & Koh Samui will be around 4 to 5 hours. Passengers will be treated to onboard entertainment, with various lounges, a restaurant & bar. Estimated cost per vehicle & driver one way Bht 1,000 , passengers Bht 500.

Source, Maritime News on line.

Thai Media Release.

am i misreading or are they seriously saying it will take 5 hours from bangkok central to samui in 5 hours ?

I think it's a misquote in the article, more like 7 to 8 hours. 40 knots around 75kmh.

Great alternative,a great option if you want to take your car to Bangkok & maybe drive up north. I wonder what their time tables would be like.

Edited by Rooo

By Weapon Katharina.

On Monday 30th of March 2009, an agreement has been signed between Wanna Pty Ltd (Subsidiary of Seatran Ferry Services) & Rushton Pty Ltd for the purchase of a high speed catamaran.

The state of the art catamaran is to be used on a new route from Bangkok to the southern islands in the Gulf of Thailand.

The new ferry is projected to be in service by May 2010.It will be capable of carrying 240 passengers & 54 vehicles'. Spokesman for Wanna Pty Ltd, stated that the company is looking forward to this new era of transport, as the new ferry will offer another alternative for travel between the capital & the islands.

It's anticipated that initially the ferry will service the holiday island of Koh Samui, with a view of expansion to Koh Phangan .It's shallow draught allows access to many areas.

The Rushton ferry is capable of operating in heavy weather & is currently being used by many European countries. Its state of the art design allows it to skim over waves with minimum discomfort to passengers, due to it's wave piercing & ride control systems.

Powered by 4 x Resilently mounted Ruston 16RK270 marine diesel engines at 4050 KW each, are capable of cruising at 40 knots with a fuel burn of 120 litres an hour (clean diesel).

Waterjets 4X lips LJ115DX.Two waterjets configured for steering & reverse.

Waterjet technology, shallow draught and state of the art electronic control aid Rushton vessels to access small ports with limited infrastructure, shallow water or tidal restrictions. With appropriate port infrastructure, complete discharge and loading can be achieved in less than 20 minutes.

Within one minute of lines being released the ship can be off the berth and completing a 180 degree turn before accelerating to harbour speed, and in less than three minutes she can be at 40 knots.

During maneuvering it takes only ten seconds to change from full ahead thrust to full astern thrust; thus the ship will stop in a fraction of the time of conventional craft. The separation of waterjets in each hull creates a much greater steering lever during a turn than a conventional ship or high speed monohull, where the waterjets or rudders are located close to the centreline.

The Wave Piercing Catamaran can make a 360 degree turn in its own length; not requiring a bow-thruster brings savings in weight, hull drag and a quieter ride at sea

The company estimates the travel time between Bangkok & Koh Samui will be around 4 to 5 hours. Passengers will be treated to onboard entertainment, with various lounges, a restaurant & bar. Estimated cost per vehicle & driver one way Bht 1,000 , passengers Bht 500.

Source, Maritime News on line.

Thai Media Release.

By Weapon Katharina.

The new ferry is projected to be in service by May 2010.It will be capable of carrying 240 passengers & 54 vehicles'. Spokesman for Wanna Pty Ltd, stated that the company is looking forward to this new era of transport, as the new ferry will offer another alternative for travel between the capital & the islands.

The Rushton ferry is capable of operating in heavy weather & is currently being used by many European countries. Its state of the art design allows it to skim over waves with minimum discomfort to passengers, due to it's wave piercing & ride control systems.