Thai Banks To Roll-out Fraud-resistant Atms

george

Thai banks to roll-out fraud-resistant ATMs

BANGKOK: -- New ATMs with fraud prevention features are on their way to help reduce problems with skimming as well as allowing users to specify their own favourite ATM style, bringing a new self-service experience.

In the second quarter, consumers in Thailand will see the new generation of ATMs - the NCR SelfServ - being used by several banks, according to NCR's industry marketing director for the Asia Pacific region, Matthew Heap.

There is a card slot to prevent card skimming, a camera that can match faces with each transaction and an intelligent fraud detection system with an embedded sensor inside the machine to sense suspicious objects attached to the ATM and send an alarm to the central system.

"Banks can buy only some enhanced security features to implement in their exiting ATMs, which is one of the key priority investments for bank in this year," Heap said.

The new technology not only improves security, but also allow users to personalise their ATM transactions with language preferences, fast cash, favourite transaction and receipt options.

For example, users can set their own favourite services and cash withdrawal style for their convenience, such as selecting personal credit card payment, not bringing up bill payment and no entry of credit card number on second use, selecting personal fast withdrawal amounts, etc., which all help to reduce transaction times, which will shorten queues.

In addition, there is software called NCR APTRA eMarketing that allows banks to have a multi-channel approach to campaign creation and marketing, enabling them to roll out personalised experiences and target messages to consumers using email, online and mobile banking and ATMs.

There is also NCR Solidcore for APTRA, a software security solution that proactively fights off any attack regardless of whether it is a known or unknown risk. Rather than purely blocking or sending an alert when bad code is detected it quite simply only allows approved "good" code to run.

Bad code, be it a malicious threat or simply unauthorised updates, will simply not function and will be prevented from executing.

In the future, there will be new ATM machines with built-in 2D barcode readers and users can bring their mobile phone to an ATM reader and pay bills more easily.

In addition, future ATMs will have displays with a privacy filter that makes words on the screen unreadable to people standing to the side of the ATM and thumbprint identification for further security, including a statement printer that consumes less energy and paper and requires fewer engineer call-outs, lowering its carbon footprint.

Integration between ATMs - the most trusted self-service channel - and the new online channel experience that allows customers to use other banking services builds customer loyalty, opens new avenues and enables a consistent experience and interaction across channels, which serves the new digital generation well, NCR Thailand's managing director, Paul Edwards added.

A recent study conducted by the Buzz-Back market research company among 8,447 respondents across 16 markets and six regions in Dec, 2008, indicates that 84% of consumers are likely to transact with financial institutions that offer multi-channel self-service solutions and consumers will increase transaction usage with banks offering such services by up to 30%.

-- Bangkok Post 2009-04-01

It would be nice to see all ATM with a clean standardized look, shielding customers transactions and enabling customers to easily spot any electronic scanning device attached.

But I doubt that will solve the problem as another post points out there are numerous ways to scam ATM customers.

Two Thais Held For Stealing Bt1.7m From Briton

It would be nice to see all ATM with a clean standardized look, shielding customers transactions and enabling customers to easily spot any electronic scanning device attached.

But I doubt that will solve the problem as another post points out there are numerous ways to scam ATM customers.

Two Thais Held For Stealing Bt1.7m From Briton

I had myself this experience,it may happen to any of you:my girl was doing biz with atm outside bank,I was waiting on side.

Another customer appeared behind - in line,waiting,another girl,with big motorcycle helmet on her head...and....she seemed

to stand to close to my girl,almost touching her!And it was that!Video camera in her helmet!