Oldest Bar In Bkk?

ProfessorFart

I seem to remember that he told me in bought round about 1984-85.

Another oldie is /was Bobbys bar in the back of the car park in the Pong which I believe goes back to ' 1972.Bobby gone i think...

Used to be good for Sunday Folk and jazz music.

Last time i was there it was a MESS....

Wish I could remember the bars back when I was running 30 years ago -- somehow they blended all together then ...

I do remember incidents at the Metro Hotel (probably long gone) involving diving into the pool from second stories and such ...

Safari Bar -if it still exists- must have some claim.It was certainly there in 1974

Another fun place to go, especially at happy hour. It's always amazing to see the ladies come in and convert from street clothes to bar attire round back near the horng nam. Then they have this long standing tradition where they start the dancing with everyone doing a disco number to "Get Down Tonight" by KC and the Sunshine Band.

Anyone remember what year the Safari burned down?

The Toby Jug on Silom used to be double the size that it is now and thinking back I sure i was in the Riffii and the Wall then as well. (about 15bt a beer)in about 1983.

Going back to my very first visit to Bangers in 1970 (bank Line ship)we used to "hit"some dockside boozers but cant remember any names.

Dito for Manila,Cebu,Honkers,Keelung,Yokohama,Singas,Hanoi and a 100 other gin joints.......but I was only 20 years old so......

Old Auz were always a bit weird with the opening times (about 2 hours a day)Darwin,Newcastle and Why-ala....just like LOS might become the way they are going :o

I used to enjoy the old Bobby's Arms when it was in the car park. Used to jump in at lunch for a Guiness and some fish and chips. I believe my first visit was in 1977, but can't be sure....

Now that it has moved it is an empty me

Where is it now?

Not really a bar , but the Original Thermae used be a crazy place for a late night pick-up and a few jugs. When that moved , it lost all the ugly charm that made it a success.

Anybody remember when that den of vice opened? :blush:

according to an ancient guide book i had it was around during the vietnam war era .

but yes the old wired door at the back was a treat when you turned up in the small hours

down the red walled stairs to pick your delights from the evenings cache.

Not really a bar , but the Original Thermae used be a crazy place for a late night pick-up and a few jugs. When that moved , it lost all the ugly charm that made it a success.

according to an ancient guide book i had it was around during the vietnam war era .

but yes the old wired door at the back was a treat when you turned up in the small hours

Happy Daze , I once had a prolonged stay at the Miami Hotel , from the balcony outside my hovel , you could view the goings on around the rear courtyard/wired door of the Thermae

It made me wish I had a decent camcorder back then , the things I saw......ooh Missus!!! :o:D :blush:

Edited by chonabot

Happy Daze , I once had a prolonged stay at the Miami Hotel , from the balcony outside my hovel , you could view the goings on around the rear courtyard/wired door of the Thermae

It made me wish I had a decent camcorder back then , the things I saw......ooh Missus!!! 

I wish i had had a video camera when I used to go to the old Thermae to remember what I did. Was always way too far gone by the time I got there to remember anything.

It made me wish I had a decent camcorder back then , the things I saw......ooh Missus!!! :o:D :blush:

yes indeed ! makes you realise just how sanitised and normal BK has become , not much real naughtiness around these days , its all now very tame .

to think i once spent ALL NIGHT at the Thermae and got kicked out in the morning at 6 oclock !!!!

by that time there were some VERY rough looking women around ...

and rough looking farangs come to think of it ...

:D

The Madrid bar in Patpong has got to be one of the oldest bars. Lucys Tiger Den used to be the haunt of GI's. Jack Shirley ran the place, he died in Pattaya in the mid 80's.

The bars in Washington Sq. go back a long while. Silver Dollar, Cats meow, etc.

Or bars gonebye like Browns.

Tryining to think of the bar that was owned by the black GI that had the bar in Cowboy! He used to ride his horse there (thus Soi Coboy) he later openen onother bar in Washinton sq.

BTW. Bobby of Bobbys Arms, prior to opening the pub, used to sell hotdogs on the corner of the same Soi. Thats where his funding came to open Bobbys Arms.

He now sells packaged meals to certain schools.

Correct.Bobby Dee is still around (and rounder than ever).One interesting fact is that Bobby would not tolerate the sex trade on his premises though I expect some of the waitresses(very pretty in some cases) had assignments on the quiet.But Bobby would not go along with ladies drinks, bar fines and all the paraphanalia of the Patpong bars outside.In other words he was a farang barowner -with a Chinese/Portugese admixture- who didn't want to be a pimp.He earned a lot of respect for this and as I understand made excellent money through various enterprises such as Italian restaurants.All other farang bar owners (I stand to be corrected if there are any others like Bobby) are really just pimping mangda trash despite their pitiful claims to be "in the entertainment industry" or "supporting the local economy".They are scum.