Thai Heaven Bar, 2099 New Phetburi Road

The Balcony, 1270-2 New Road

The Shack, 901 Soi 49, Sukhumvit Road

Thermae LP, 181 Soi Saengchan, Sukhumvit Road

Tiffany LP, 39/10-1, 41 Rajadamri Road

Tulip, 285/1 Silom Road

Washington Bar & Restaurant, 1639-41 New Phetburi Road

Windsor Coffee House, 285/9 Silom Road

Of the above, the only ones I recognize as still existing are Club 99 (now on Sukhumvit, though), Derby King, Mizu's Kitchen (more of a restaurant than a bar, though), and Thermae.

My favorite of all the nightspots listed, though, is a hotel venue: Bimbo's Show Bar, at the Dusit Thani. They have an advertisement touting it as being "For Swiming Fun". The advertisement for the Montien Hotel, on the other hand, claims it to be "The Swingingest Hotel in Bangkok", while the Sheraton-Bangkok Hotel (where the Tawana Ramada is now, I think) claims "Swinging Luxury in the Heart of Bangkok".

I guess "swinging" was the thing back then. Groovy.

For those not aware of it phones were not common back in 1971 so many places would not be in the phone book. I know Three Sisters, Roma, Rome, Rendezvou and several others were open in the Gaysorn Road area and there were dozens on New Phetburi Road for the GI's.

Rinrada..

Going back to my very first visit to Bangers in 1970 (bank Line ship)we used to "hit"some dockside boozers but cant remember any names.

There were two that i knew of. One was called the Mosquito Bar. Frequented mainly by Aussie guys on R&R. Used to be a sax player in one of them, but cannot remember other bars name!

Also a little titbit..The small midget guy that stands outside a pool bar on Sukhumvit ( between 5-7 ) Used to stand ouside a bar in the late 60's wearing a mexican hat. Cannot think of name of bar though! Anyone?

Might be of intrest to Rinrada! bars down at Klong Toey

I think the bar down from Mosquito was called Venus!

I have seen a photo of the midget guy online. Its outside the bar (i'm sure used to be in Patpong) He has the big Mexican hat on, also a gold earing in each ear..circa 1969..

Note..In the last paragraph of the URL. tHere is a mention of BJ down in Pattaya. Yes he's still there..In fact in this weeks Pattaya mail there is a letter from him about the recent loss of his dog Buster.

Edited by SEAtramp

Rinrada..
Going back to my very first visit to Bangers in 1970 (bank Line ship)we used to "hit"some dockside boozers but cant remember any names.

There were two that i knew of. One was called the Mosquito Bar. Frequented mainly by Aussie guys on R&R. Used to be a sax player in one of them, but cannot remember other bars name!

Also a little titbit..The small midget guy that stands outside a pool bar on Sukhumvit ( between 5-7 ) Used to stand ouside a bar in the late 60's wearing a mexican hat. Cannot think of name of bar though! Anyone?

I seem to just about remember what may have been the Mosquito bar,Lucys Tiger den and another which may have been the Missippi Queen.

Had a look on the klong Toey site (VG) re Manila and yes they are more familar especially one named Tonys Bar on pilar st.. :D

True enough there was a curfew at the time and the idea was to go to a bar (i was always on the 4 till 12 watch)and just stay there till 4-00am...then OK.

Music at the time was Moody Blues,Green Green Grass of Home-Tom Jones and Raindrops keep falling....etc :D:o

Bugis St was still on the go in Singapore as was all those US style knocking shops-Hawai bar,New Orleins bar etc. in Keelung Taiwan....but not in Hanoi :D

Great Times :D

Jack would pass the time of day with anyone. He used to have a torch behind the bar & when talking about old times he would get his torch and shine it on certain photo's on the wall to illustrate the people involved.

Tigers Den.

Onother bar was called the "okey dokey" not spelt correct i'm sure but, sounds the same.

• 2 weeks later...
I used to enjoy the old Bobby's Arms when it was in the car park. Used to jump in at lunch for a Guiness and some fish and chips. I believe my first visit was in 1977, but can't be sure....

Now that it has moved it is an empty mess

Where is it now?

Patpong 3 I think? The soi with all the boy bars?

You can get to Bobby's from the multi-storey carpark with Foodland on the ground level. There's an entrance to Bobby's on level 2.

Some other 70's insitutions I believe are Executive, Crown Royal, Crystal Palace...all on Soi 2.

Madrid still serves good old pan pizza.

I used to enjoy the old Bobby's Arms when it was in the car park. Used to jump in at lunch for a Guiness and some fish and chips. I believe my first visit was in 1977, but can't be sure....

Now that it has moved it is an empty mess

Where is it now?

Patpong 3 I think? The soi with all the boy bars?

You can get to Bobby's from the multi-storey carpark with Foodland on the ground level. There's an entrance to Bobby's on level 2.

Some other 70's insitutions I believe are Executive, Crown Royal, Crystal Palace...all on Soi 2.

Madrid still serves good old pan pizza.

I am quite sure that in 1972 Crystal Palace was located on Patpong, at the far north end. Not on what we called Patpong II in those days.

Not really a bar , but the Original Thermae used be a crazy place for a late night pick-up and a few jugs. When that moved , it lost all the ugly charm that made it a success.

Anybody remember when that den of vice opened? :blush:

according to an ancient guide book i had it was around during the vietnam war era .

but yes the old wired door at the back was a treat when you turned up in the small hours

down the red walled stairs to pick your delights from the evenings cache.

Happy Daze , I once had a prolonged stay at the Miami Hotel , from the balcony outside my hovel , you could view the goings on around the rear courtyard/wired door of the Thermae

It made me wish I had a decent camcorder back then , the things I saw......ooh Missus!!! :o:D :blush:

yes indeed ! makes you realise just how sanitised and normal BK has become , not much real naughtiness around these days , its all now very tame .

to think i once spent ALL NIGHT at the Thermae and got kicked out in the morning at 6 oclock !!!!

by that time there were some VERY rough looking women around ...

and rough looking farangs come to think of it ...

:D

7-00am exit from the Therme was quite Normal especially on first/second night in Bangers.

The evening usually started off with a couple of beers or 3 in the "Koffee Chorp" in the Honey followed by a stroll round to the Offshore,Quiet side bar (next door) and maybe a snack in the Old Dutch to keep up your strength.

Then of course it was into the Cowboy to hit as many places as possible before 2-00am.(Country Rd went on later for dancing :D )

At that time places like the Hare and Hounds,Tilac,Shadow (crazy jacks place)Black and White and Jo bar were all the rage (remember nice young lady called Chelsea-go-go in...???: )

Someone mentioned the origional "Cowboy"...dont quote me on it but I believe "Pam" of Pams Cocktail Bar was his girlfriend and that was the first bar in the Soi.

She is like the overall "mum" to all the girls and has taken care of a lot of them for the best part of 30 odd years.

Very well respected. :D ...theres more but will keep for another time...

Anyway as said 2-30am and that was the usual time to stagger along to the Therme (assuming you could still stand)otherwise it was a Tuk-Tuk back to the Honey for late night food and drink from "Loom Service"....Wot u mean 20 bt...peng.....ha bt.....mai chai......ok ..song satang.......mai chai-mai chai...OK..10 bt ...OK. :D

The old Dump (therme)was dire,dirty,dingy but it had a sort of grimm character.(and women :D )to it.I actually preferred the new one under the Rhun-Chit Hotel.

There is/was a lot of infor on the walls giving you the history of the place which from memory opened around 1964-5 ......to cater for the lads from Nam. :D

Incid the old lady who walks around looking like the cleaner/washer up is in fact the owner. :D

As said earlier we used to hold late night indepth meetings,arguments,

discussions ,pontifications..etc while of course interacting with the ladies.

On one occasion I remember the little guy who stands at the Bar (he is still there)asking us if we wanted a last beer since it was almost 8-00 am and they wanted to close for a little bit..very polite.

No problem....MPR....and it was back to the Honey for Brekkies (big Sings) :D

A lot of nostalgia for the "old" Thermae. I never made it past 6:00 AM (late 80s) then, as mentioned, on to the Honey or, if the party had to go on, the Malaysia.... back in the time when there were actual ladies. Seems some of the Thermae leftovers at that hour lived in the area anyway.

Seems like there might be material for an "old Themae" vets thread.

Go for it.

Lots of stories and all gen.

There is a therme site on the web but it dont appear to have been updated for years.

Agree with your point about the "ladies"...they were always very polite,attractive (if not always in the conventional sense) and "nice" :o:D

Some great info on these old sites.

George P is I believe still on parade at the Texas bar in Washington Square. :D

I havnt been down that way for a while but will "looksee"on next visit.

Also believe a couple of others from before still hitting the scene...Silver Dollar,Lone Star,Happy B and the Prince of Wales (prince o balls :D )

Found the Therme Site if anyone inter....

Thermae Coffee Shop, or better, the Coffeeshop of Thermae, was a bar settled on the basement of Thermae massage parlour, located on Sukhumvit Road in Bangkok, between Soi 13 and Soi 15. Thermae massage parlour was a massage parlour like many others in Bangkok, organized as a day-use hotel where the :D

One entered the lobby..... :o

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Temple/1107/history.html

• 2 years later...

"Someone mentioned the origional "Cowboy"...dont quote me on it but I believe "Pam" of Pams Cocktail Bar was his girlfriend and that was the first bar in the Soi.

She is like the overall "mum" to all the girls and has taken care of a lot of them for the best part of 30 odd years.

Very well respected. ...theres more but will keep for another time..."

Hmmm, this thread popped up while I was googling for something not at all related.  However:

--  "Cowboy," the black retired USAF NCO from Udorn, opened up there on Soi Cowboy circa 1976.  By the time I got to visit the soi, late '76 or 1977, there were three bars:  Cowboys, Loretta's, and one more but I forget the name.

Cowboy and his WIFE, Bounlom had split, believe she kept the old place and he opened up across the soi as Cowboy Bar.  Bounlom's was named Loretta's after their joint daughter.

Pam was the manager for Bounlom.  

Loretta's was my favorite spot there on the soi as the soi blossemed.  Sometimes a double wide, in hard times, a single shophouse.  

Pam's, where Pam now sits, is about at the same spot as the old Loretta's, altho I'd have to confirm with her.  Didn't ask so when I visited the place a few months back.

Mac

What is the oldest independent bar in BKK (by independent I mean not attatched to a hotel) and which bar has had the same owner for the longest time?

These days it'd have to be The Madrid, down towards the Silom end of PP I.  37 now, will be 38 years under Khun Dang, the owner, on 1 November.

Older places on PP I?  Well, there's always Mizu's Kitchen, one of the real originals form the early 1960s!

Best (only?) book on the subject is Alan Dawson's 1988 special:  PATPONG, BANGKOK'S BIG LITTLE STREET.  It's really difficult to find a copy these days, or even the last 5-10 years.  If you see one, snatch it up!

Mac

post-32650-1185798469_thumb.jpg

post-32650-1185798597_thumb.jpg

• 11 years later...
On 1/24/2005 at 4:12 PM, SEAtramp said:

Rinrada..

Mosquito bar and Venus etc were flattened in the 80's sometime. The small midget guy who worked outside Finnegan's a decade or so ago now works at the Drunken Leprechaun. However midgets are subject to regular rules of aging, so it's not likely to be the same chap you remember outside a bar four decades earlier.

Oldest bar still operating now might be Madrid in Patpong. Safari, across the road might be the oldest dancing bar at 45 years now. There's also The Old Other Office in Patpong 2. At the time of this being posted there was Check Inn 99 which had run continuously as a bar since 1957, sadly forced to move a couple of years ago. 

It's an ancient thread, but another decade makes it that little bit more interesting. Wonder how long these places will roll on?