Roundabouts In Los

Hi,

I'm not talking about those big mamas in Bkk with traffics lights and lanes etc, I mean the little one in a town (where it is probably the only one there).... no lights, no markings, but it is a roundabout.... Who has the right of way? some people stop on the roundabout? some don't...

I like to think of myself as a pretty decent driver and well aware of thai pitfalls - but this one tiny aspect of the road still has be totally confused every time I approach one.

Help a brother out here....

Edited by Jim's_a_Thai_Fox

The rule is cars coming from the right have right of way. But don't expect them to know that!

I've also been told this by a Thai friend, however, in practice Thai's seem to do the opposite most of the time.

Just approach with extreme caution and assume you don't have right of way. (Of course then you'll get rear ended by the guy behin who assumed he does)

In general the whole idea of a roundabout is to get rid of traffic lights. People entering the roundabout must give way for those who are already there (people coming from right). Then again as others said Thais are not that familiar with the hole concept. Then again are these "roundabouts" in thailand really marked and identified as roundabouts or just normal intersections with island in the middle ?

And you should signal (left) when exiting, not signal right when entering a roundabout.

Edited by MJo

It's not only the Thais.

A while back I was in High Point State Park in New York State and stopped to ask one of the park rangers the way to the high point lookout.

She answered, "Well you go down the road here until you come to the traffic circle and then it gets kinda complicated. You kinda need to turn left but you can't turn left you have to kinda go right then left around the circle until you get to the...................".

"It's okay darlin' I'm from the UK, we have these "circles" all over the place and I can navigate them even on the wrong side of the road."

There was one in a place called Flemington, New Jersey where the only way they got the trafiic flow to work was to install traffic lights on all four approach roads such that only one stream of traffic entered the circle at a time. :o

But back to topic, and roundabouts in Thailand. Think of them as vehicular anarchy, much the same as the rest of the road system, and you'll be fine.

There aren't many roundabouts in Thailand, people are not sure what are the "rules" there.

If you use one quite often, you'll soon figure out how it works.

The one in Laksi, in Bangkok, is easy enough, but it's not the "rule" per se, it's traffic pattern - one look and you know where the cars are going by their positionin on the road.

So, if you are coming from Chaeng Wattana (west), then the fastest route is extreme left, when you pass the first exit (north), cut to the second lane, and then overtake everyone in the three outermost lanes as you take the next exit to Ramintra (east). Works like magic everytime, there are three entrance lanes to Ramintra and you are guaranteed to have enough space.

I'm kidding, btw, if everyone drove like that it wouldn't be the fastest route.

Just watch how it works at your particular intersection.

In general the whole idea of a roundabout is to get rid of traffic lights. People entering the roundabout must give way for those who are already there (people coming from right). Then again as others said Thais are not that familiar with the hole concept. Then again are these "roundabouts" in thailand really marked and identified as roundabouts or just normal intersections with island in the middle ?

And you should signal (left) when exiting, not signal right when entering a roundabout.

You should signal left when entering the roundabout if you are taking the first left turn.

Don't signal when entering the roundabout if you are going 'straight on' and signal left when you have passed the intersection before your exit.

You should signal right when entering the roundabout if you are going 'around' the roundabout (ie. past 'straight on') and signal left when you have passed the intersection before your exit.

Then everyone knows where you are heading and whether you are likely to change lanes.

They have an 'ingenious' solution to the problem in Pattaya, where on the only real roundabout in town (Dolphin) they block it off in the evening rush hour forcing you to turn left, go up the road and do a u-turn so you can access the exit you wanted.

Hey presto - problem solved :o

You should signal left when entering the roundabout if you are taking the first left turn.

Don't signal when entering the roundabout if you are going 'straight on' and signal left when you have passed the intersection before your exit.

You should signal right when entering the roundabout if you are going 'around' the roundabout (ie. past 'straight on') and signal left when you have passed the intersection before your exit.

Then everyone knows where you are heading and whether you are likely to change lanes.

Yep, that's what i said, always signal left before/when exiting the roundabout. Regardless of which exit you take. I'm not sure on UK and US particular rules but in europe the standard is that you do not ever signal right in roundabout but you always must signal left to indicate that you are going to exit the roundabout in next exit.

Think of them as vehicular anarchy, much the same as the rest of the road system, and you'll be fine.

:o:D

That's right.

Buit it's nothing compoared to what prevails in Cambodia where, unfortunately, there are a lot of roundabouts

Sites of some pretty spectacular multi-car pile up collisions at times....

Personally hate roundabouts and while knock on wood I haven't yet had a collision or taken out a motorcyclist at one it has been a close call many a time (motos especially). As for the signalling bit, this only works if other drivers 1) pay attention to your signals and 2) respond by making way for your planned manuever.

Unfortunately they don't always do #1 and more often than not do the opposite of #2, so it turns into a game of "chicken" or a free for all :D

:o:D

That's right.

Buit it's nothing compoared to what prevails in Cambodia where, unfortunately, there are a lot of roundabouts

Sites of some pretty spectacular multi-car pile up collisions at times....

Personally hate roundabouts and while knock on wood I haven't yet had a collision or taken out a motorcyclist at one it has been a close call many a time (motos especially). As for the signalling bit, this only works if other drivers 1) pay attention to your signals and 2) respond by making way for your planned manuever.

Unfortunately they don't always do #1 and more often than not do the opposite of #2, so it turns into a game of "chicken" or a free for all :D

Roundabouts are good, you just need a bigger car :D

I've said it here before but all who complain about thai driving or drivers should spend some time driving in Cambodia, Phils or Indo.

There's a roundabout on ratchpruek road. near the rama v bridge on the way to ngam wongwan. When it first opened insurance companies would send their motorcycles to wait for claims. Because accidents happened daily more like every hour. In the end they put in traffic lights so I guess there wasn't much use for the roundabout.

The car on the Right is the RULE, once you are on the circle(roundabouts) you have the right, now get in mind many many drivers don't know, don't care or just plain out in never never land when driving, best to give the right of way then to debate it :o:D:D

Chiang Mai has about the same number of roundabouts as all of Texas :o - maybe three. Like most places in Chiang Mai such as the moat, you slide through without stopping. The roundabout near Santitam, by the police box, is well organized. Being Thailand, you never assume the rules of the road will rule the road.

The majority of Thai have no idea how to use a roundabout. I'm sure giving way to your right is an international standard of sorts. Thai generally treat it as an intersection - like the one near Impact you could be exiting a roundabout and another car from the left doesn't even bother to slow down to give way. Plenty of accudents there. As for signalling, I've only ever seen one car signal properly when turning right at a roundabout.

:D:D

Unfortunately they don't always do #1 and more often than not do the opposite of #2, so it turns into a game of "chicken" or a free for all :wai:

Roundabouts are good, you just need a bigger car :D

Yeah -- Bigger and newer and with tinted windows :D

But In Phnom Penh, only a black Lexus with military plates stands a chance :o

Yeah -- Bigger and newer and with tinted windows :D

But In Phnom Penh, only a black Lexus with military plates stands a chance :o

The plates come as complimentary upgrade with the Lexus :D

The majority of Thai have no idea how to use a roundabout. I'm sure giving way to your right is an international standard of sorts. Thai generally treat it as an intersection - like the one near Impact you could be exiting a roundabout and another car from the left doesn't even bother to slow down to give way. Plenty of accudents there. As for signalling, I've only ever seen one car signal properly when turning right at a roundabout.

Only in fully developed countries that drive on the correct side of the road like Thailand and the UK. :D

For other less developed nations you give way to traffic from your left. That is the hand you wipe your bum with for those nation's citizens lacking spatial awareness. :D

Right, I'm off toot sweet. :o

My very first day in Patters at the roundabout start of Beach Rd my driver arrived at same time as a bunch of others and some dummy in a van stops while the traffic keeps pouring in to the roundabout! 20+ cars all jammed up! Tooting and arm waving didn't seem to fix it. It was quite funny really. I still have a chuckle when I think of it!

The majority of Thai have no idea how to use a roundabout or a T junction or an X junction I'm sure giving way to your right is an international standard of sorts. Thai generally treat it as an intersection - like the one near Impact you could be exiting a roundabout and another car from the left doesn't even bother to slow down to give way. Plenty of accudents there. As for signalling, I've only ever seen one car signal properly when turning right at a roundabout. That must have been me then :o
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2636011 Edited by PattayaParent

Seems the comments pretty much sum up my own feelings - approach with care and simply assume that no one is going to stop and/or give way.... TiT :-)

You guys don't know what a REAL roundabout looks like. Try the Magic Roundabout in Swindon (UK): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_(Swindon)

It is a thing of beauty to behold, and surprisingly works very well - probably because people not familiar with it either avoid it, or are terrified as they approach it :o

180px-Magic_Roundabout_Schild_db.jpg

(and yes - that REALLY IS five mini-roundabouts in a large circle)

300px-Swindon_Magic_Roundabout_eng.svg.png

Similar to the one in Hemel Hempstead, Herfordshire, which i unexpectedly came accross & negotiated with a 44 tonne 6 axle artic :o

Found it on Google Earth but i don't know how to place a link to the marker here?

If you put Magic roundabout Hemel Hempstead into the GE search, it finds it. Then zoom in until you can see the road layout.