100,000 Baht Found On Sukhumvit

Neeranam

If you found 100,000 baht on Sukhumvit, with the owners address, would you return it?  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I saw the 100 Pipers new ad on telly last night, where a group of guys find a wallet full of money. They return it to the man who lost it.

I don't think most Thai people would.

I lost a telephone in a taxi the other month and, as is commonly the case, the driver didn't answer a minute later.

Today, if I found 100,000 baht in the street, with the address of the owner with it, I would return it. There are various reasons for this. Lets say I now believe in karma, and know that true freedom can only come for me when I am 100% honest. In the past I have found money and didn't return it, stolen and cheated people out of large sums of money. Those actions brought nothing but total misery.

Please be honest in the poll :o

If anyone has any comment about Thai people's honesty versus farang honesty, please post. I would say that people where I come from are more honest - Scotland. Even though we are stingy bastadrs, we are honest.

Edited by Neeranam

I saw the 100 Pipers new ad on telly last night, where a group of guys find a wallet full of money. They return it to the man who lost it.

I don't think most Thai people would.

I lost a telephone in a taxi the other month and, as is commonly the case, the driver didn't answer a minute later.

Today, if I found 100,000 baht in the street, with the address of the owner with it, I would return it. There are various reasons for this. Lets say I now believe in karma, and know that true freedom can only come for me when I am 100% honest. In the past I have found money and didn't return it, stolen and cheated people out of large sums of money. Those actions brought nothing but total misery.

Please be honest in the poll :o

If anyone has any comment about Thai people's honesty versus farang honesty, please post. I would say that people where I come from are more honest - Scotland. Even though we are stingy bastadrs, we are honest.

I'd return it.

Left my phone in O'Reilly's - someone handed it in & I got it the next day.

A Japanese visitor left his PC & Passport in a Taxi from Thaniya Plaza. He had my business card in his bag, a woman from the taxi company called the next day & we got it back.

In my experience, you have a much better chance of getting lost stuff back here than in the UK.

One time I had a bag with my passport and original BC, 5 bank books, work permit, marriage cert. , daughter's BC(Thai and British),wife's Thai passport and daughter's Thai and British passports, along with heaps of other important documents. I ended up running after the taxi, who knew the bag was there. Luckily it was on Silom road adn I caught up with him. I had to bang on the window for him to open the door. After thinking for a while he let me in and returned the bag. I was ready to jump on a motorbike and follow him. Thank God that I got all those things back, worthless to him.

I was walking down Sukhumvit rd. today and I found a wallet, and I was gonna keep it, rather than return it, but I thought: well, if I lost a hundred 100,000 baht, how would I feel? And I realized I would want to be taught a lesson. :o

I did find a wallet with a couple of hundred dollars in it. Turns out it was my friend's neighbor. I returned it and let them know I was next door if they had any questions. No reward was offered. Maybe the kids I gave it to stole the money and told the mother it was returned empty.

Edited by aughie

My ex-gf and I found a purse in Auckland about 5 yrs ago with $300, two circus tickets and no ID. It was a Sunday so we had to take a ferry back to downtown to turn it into the police. Heard nothing for 4 months (by this time ex-gf was gone), then I got a postcard from Palmerston North and the gist of it was that this woman had taken her daughter to Aukland to see the circus for her 5th birthday and she'd left the purse behind while sightseeing. Turns out the $300 was all they had for accomadation, food, and the bus home. They called the police after searching for it, and got it back in time to see the circus. :o

If I ever find a wallet or purse again I'll think of them. Imagine the heartache we would have caused had we gone and drank that $300?

cv

Years ago, I used to work in Fords, travelling from my then home near Wigan.

Three of us travelled together, about 22 miles.

One week, we recieved back pay in our pay. It was a bumper week. On the way home, we stopped in this rough old bar for a drink, in fact a few drinks. We left the bar near closing time. On arriving home, I didn't have my wage packet. Filled with panic, I asked my neighbour to take me back to the bar. On arriving there, we found it closed. I knocked on the door and was greeted by the manager. I asked if a wage packet had been found. He said I was a very lucky man, someone had found it on the floor and passed it to him. I got the blokes address and went there the next day with a reward, the price of a few drinks.

Since then, whenever I have found something with an address I have passed in.

Of course, if I found a bundle of money with no I.D, that is a different kettle of fish. Can you imagine passing it in to the Thai police?

:o

Took me less than one second to vote. Yes, I would return it.

Am I stupid or what?

I would contact the owner directly, to make sure it went there, nobody else.

In Europe would leave it with the police or lost and found with full report.

Took me five minutes to think about this reply. 100-K is honest money, albeit somebody was stupid to carry it around. Make it 10 million and I would think it's hot money, but than probably no address on.

i found a wallet in the back of a taxi once and like a fool i handed it to the driver --i dont know what happened ,

i also have a friend who found a wallet with £2000-approx inside, he noticed it was by a turkey farm entrance, so he went in and asked if anyone had lost a wallet, - sure enough it belonged to the farmer, who took it back and promised my mate a free turkey for christmas as a reward! :o

My first reaction - should I keep it?

After that natural thought passes - I'd want to track the owner and give it back (you make it too easy, leaving an address on it - give us something more difficult to find the person who lost it)

Human nature - I'd want to see their reaction. Secretly I'd hope for a reward given out of gratitude ( a glass of plonk would be enough!!). If that wasn't forthcoming, I'd study them closely to try and work out what sort of people they are to leave 100,000 baht on Sukhumvit.

fun topic. nice thread. :o

The little red guy with the forked tail on one shoulder would be telling me to keep it . But the other shoulders argument would win i think . :D Maybe not because of a sense of honour, but just getting caught out .

Ok,i do have a conscious. A few years back ' a friend of mine' lost his wallet at the Big Day Out ,Sydney. Had the cash and cards, but i was more worried about the little tab of paper with pretty colours wrapped in foil stashed in my wallet. Oh well, got a phone call and the booty was returned no questions asked :o

Most of you guy's have to be kidding about handing in the wallet?  :D

Words are cheap, it is out by you're action you should be learned.  :o

If you find people doing the decent thing to be surprising it says more about your character than theirs.

cv

After that natural thought passes - I'd want to track the owner and give it back (you make it too easy, leaving an address on it - give us something more difficult to find the person who lost it)

Human nature - I'd want to see their reaction.  Secretly I'd hope for a reward given out of gratitude ( a glass of plonk would be enough!!).  If that wasn't forthcoming, I'd study them closely to try and work out what sort of people they are to leave 100,000 baht on Sukhumvit.

fun topic.  nice thread.  :D

You find a bag with 9 million bath in on he freeway.

Do you take it home ?

Do you bring it to the police ?

Do you become rodin hood for a week and give it to your neighbors?

What would you do ????

ps : this actually happend in Thailand. :o

i found a wallet in the back of a taxi once and like a fool i handed it to the driver --i dont know what happened ,

i also have a friend who found a wallet with £2000-approx inside, he noticed it was by a turkey farm entrance, so he went in and asked if anyone had lost a wallet, - sure enough it belonged to the farmer, who took it back and promised my mate a free turkey for christmas as a reward! :o

Did the farmer settle up ? :D

Human nature - I'd want to see their reaction.  Secretly I'd hope for a reward given out of gratitude ( a glass of plonk would be enough!!).  If that wasn't forthcoming, I'd study them closely to try and work out what sort of people they are to leave 100,000 baht on Sukhumvit.

fun topic.  nice thread.   :D

You find a bag with 9 million bath in on he freeway.

Do you take it home ?

Do you bring it to the police ?

Do you become rodin hood for a week and give it to your neighbors?

What would you do ????

ps : this actually happend in Thailand. :o

Exactly, all of us have our price. So reach inside yourself and find that price. Maybe that is the poll question that should asked.

My wife who is Thai lost her phone about 1 week ago, fell out of her pocket whilst riding motor bike.I am in africa working at the moment. Of course i was thinking all sort's when i could not reach her on the phone. So i called her mother, and she said that Ning my wife had lost her phone,and had gone to get it back.

Apparently an older lady Thai had found the phone, and dialled one of the numbers in the address book, it was my wifes friend so she called my wife who went and got the phone back.

Not all people are bad, of course my wife gave the lady a reward, as it was an expensive phone.

Maybe it has got something to do with Karma.

The drunken fool that I am left my wallet with 16,000 Baht cash on the table a Mc Donald's Patpong. Of course i didnt discover this untill i got home and wanted to pay my cab fare.

Next day, Received a call from my travel agent that they had been contacted by the staff there informing them that they had my wallet. they saw my travel agents card in the wallet

I was straight down there and to my suprise they gave me my wallet with no cash missing. Could not believe it and was happy to give them a few thousand.

On another occassion, ive left my wallet on the bar at lava in khao san road after buying drinks and again was fortunate to have a very attractive girl search for me in the club by looking at my drivers licence photo, eventually find me and give it back.

From experiece many Thai people are honest, i have my doubts about whether i would have recieved my wallet back in these situations back in Australia, even though most people are a lot well off than in Thailand

I left a shoulder bag on my chair containing Passports, camera and 10k at the Pizza Hut Pattaya (it was over 10 years ago also the last time I will ever go there). After driving back 2 hours later, the waitress was holding it for us. I tried to give her 2k she refused I had my Thai wife put it in her apron pocket. At LOS good story.

if I picked up a wallet on the street I would look to see how much dough was involved...then I would evaluate my present situation and relieve thereof accordingly...

would always return the docs and credit cards...

A theif with a concience?

cv

It reminds me of that old joke most of us have heard long ago.

Hollywood reporter is interviewing a minor star who hasn't made it to the big time yet. "So, would you star in a leading movie and get a million dollars, if you only had to sleep with the movie producer one time?"

"Urm, well, if he's good looking, and didn't hurt me, just one day....yes, I guess for all that."

"Oh good, then! Will you sleep with me for ten dollars, now?"

"What do you think I am, a cheap whore?"

"Oh, we already established WHAT you are. We're just haggling over price."