Accommodations In Chiang Mai

Serendipity2

Hi everyone! I'm looking for suggestions of a place to stay in Chiang Mai for a month or three that's reasonably quiet, furnished and has decent security - and not too expensive! Prefer around the night market or bazaar area. Thanks all for your suggestions! :o

Serendipity2

Try doing a search in this forum. This same topic has been covered many times. The suggestions are almost always the same. Have a nice time.

elektrified,

I just spent 2-3 hours yesterday going over various and sundry topics. I'm new to Thaivisa but I thought the 249 'pages' was a reasonable number to go through to look for threads on where to rent. Well it IS 249 pages but each page has 30 threads or topics. I made it to "page" 25 which means I viewed 750 different threads. Aside from one project that stirred up a bit of interest primarily because one farang was aggrieved about the noise, and several individuals offering up places and one thread mentioning districts in Chaing Mai that are meaningless to one who does't know Chiang Mai, I didn't see one thread where expats offered up opinions of what projects, complexes etc were available and desireable.

Now, having made it through 25 pages, that leaves me with a mere 224 pages which, given there are 30 threads per page, gives me "only" 6720 threads or subjects to go. How handy! Not to be deterred, I checked the ads on the banner at the top of each page. Yes, there are a LOT of units available but the ads are not geographic specific and most were for units, apartments, homes or condos in Bangkok. I was more interested in comments from expats and where to rent tha Then I said, "hey, maybe Thaivisa has a SEARCH ENGINE. Evidently not. That would have required some forethought by the owner of this site.

Like you, I think folks should spend some effort and try to help themselves before asking others for help - but having said that, isn't the purpose of this and other forums to

share information with one another? With 249 pages x 30 threads per page, viewing 7470 threads is a bit more than I want to tackle. Thanks for the help though.

Serendiipity2

I can see what the problem is. It appears that most people misspell "accommodation". I just did a search in the Chiang Mai forum using accomodation* and there are many useful threads on the first page alone. Some gave weblinks to places even.

It is difficult to advise you not knowing your budget, what part of town you want to stay, etc.

If you can't figure out the search, then you could try this: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/search.html&...2Baccomodation*

Hello Serendipity2...There are many not too expensive (as you mentioned) to stay in the area (you clearly said you wanted). The one that comes to mind right in the night bazaar is the condotel behind the night bazaar building but it's in very close proximity to many bars so you might want to go out a bit. Try Raming Lodge on Loi Kroh. Centerplace or Oriental Guesthouse also on Loi Kroh are options but I would recommend Eagle Guesthouse or Pagoda. They are just off Thapae Road and the service (especially Eagle) is great. Lai Thai has a pool as does Top North. Have a look at this site: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/20

Remember..Chiang Mai is easy to get around so no need to stay right in the night bazaar. Thapae is a great area for you.

Sorry about your experience...I believe if you have nothing useful to say then you should say nothing! Cheers and have a great trip.