Living Without A Car

runner

Is having a car really a necessity here? I find these motorbikes work just great for getting around. I often wonder what drives people to buy cars anyways. Is it the safety? Or maybe it's a status symbol? I find it hard to get through certain places in town without my motorbike. So, they are very useful in my opinion.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sold my car 12 years ago and I did not regret it!

Luckily I am based in Bangkok so no big problems due to Skytrain, Tube and billions of "Taxi Meter"

To be honest sometimes I would like to jump in my car and drive outside Bangkok but I have learned

life goes on without a car. In Thailand it even might prolong your life...

Edited by webfact

Getting rid of my beat up car was the most liberating experience I had while I lived in Bangkok. The following three years after that I was by bicycle. My normal travel time of one-hour in a car was slashed by half when commuting by bicycle. I did have to take a shower at the office. Fortunately, we did have a shower.

Our family (mama, papa and the small one) is very well doing with two motorcycles although we have to shop for two restaurants.

Sold our pick-up some three month ago and after not using it for nearly a year and never missed it.

You only need four pairs of eyes sometimes! ;-)

I don't have a vehicle here. As a single male, after I did the math of driver/taxi hires vs. expense of car ownership, I came out way ahead. I'm in Phuket in the land of the tuk tuk mafia which makes me hate the buggers. However, I can hire a car and driver whenever I need to get all my errands done and I don't have the headaches of these f-ed up drivers. I just buckle up and close my eyes until I get to my destination. True, the strategy can lead to some odd transport such as riding in the back of a pickup truck last week, but it's a thrill I suppose until I get thrown and splattered.

On the other hand, if I had a wife and kids, I'd have a car just because I wouldn't want my progeny hanging off the handlebars as roadkill to be. I don't know why anyone would want to drive in BKK. It's frustrating.

Really depends on where you live. When I lived in Bangkok I barely used my car for the year I lived there. However, now I couldn't manage without it (in Chanthaburi). I used to ride motorbikes here, but had an accident that scared the shit out of me so no more bikes for me!

Tompa,

Is having a car really a necessity here? I find these motorbikes work just great for getting around. I often wonder what drives people to buy cars anyways. Is it the safety? Or maybe it's a status symbol? I find it hard to get through certain places in town without my motorbike. So, they are very useful in my opinion.

Carefour's strategy is - they want to cater for people who come to shop by cars.

They leave motorbikes shoppers to Lotus.

And you can tell which hypermarket shop you are in.

Car in BKK? Always. Other than short hops in the city, to every taxi driver I had to tell : radio off, drive slower.

One said to my wife: "What stupid farang your husband is - I am doing only 120kmph.".

A car gives you that much needed feeling of independency and self-reliance. Important for westerners in Asia.

Motorbikes? Never ever.

Edit: motorbikes are too dangerous and you are stopped daily (or several times a day) by police. Helmet or no helmet.

Edited by think_too_mut

With respect purely to Bangkok, the primary advantage that doesn't occur to new transplants of cars over motorbikes is that motorbikes (all types) can't go on the expressways and the expressways are the key to getting around greater Bangkok in anything approaching a reasonable amount of time most days. Still, if your entire life is within a small area this may not be a consideration. If, however, you need or want or like to bounce around from central Bangkok to Nonthaburi or Samut Prakan or what have you, you can do it much quicker via the overheads.

That said, I don't have a car, I don't want a car and I do just fine with the various forms of transport available (taxis/motos/sawngtaews/BTS/MRT/etc) to all.

I was in the Automobile business for over 30 years, employed by two different German car manufactures but was stationed in the USA. Still always owned a motorcycle even though I got to drive some cool sports cars daily.

Now retired living in Chiang Mai and only own a motorcycle. Love two wheels transportation, be it a motorcycle or bicycle.

Two weeks ago it rained for the first time in like 5 months, the streets we wet and slick, a car pull in front of me, I was going a little to fast and BOOM, down I went, broke 2 ribs. That was the only day I wish I was in a car.

For me it was location and safety. I can see if you live in Bangkok or Pattaya, a motocy is just fine, Dangerous but fine. I live in rural Isaan. I lived here for one year with only a motorcy before I bought a car. When I bought my car, it was a godsend. Life got alot easier and more enjoyable. Now I have a Fortuner. I can tell you, I feel safer with more metal around me then flapping in the breeze on a little motorcy. Especially with all the crazy kids flying around that don't know how to drive or have a death wish. I still have two motorcy's, but ony go very short distances on back roads. Motorcy + Thailand = DEATH :o

BE SAFE!

Why would anyone want a car in BKK other than a status thing, there is so much transport around that driving a car to me is lunacy.

I have no car although the missus has a motorcy and I sometimes ride behind her although I dont like it, think "got away with it again" every time we get home.

I have travelled a fair bit of the country now without a car and there is always some sort of public transport around even in the outbacks of issan and the south.

No car for me thanks dont need the stress of driving in all that traffic.

Edit: motorbikes are too dangerous and you are stopped daily (or several times a day) by police. Helmet or no helmet.

:o

Been stopped a total of three times in 10 years of riding bikes in Thailand - Songkhla (pillion), Phuket, CM. All three due to no helmet :D

... or is this little factoid solely for Bangkok?

In the wet season I would rather have a car, also for when going to the pub with more than 1 person. Better for going to the market to get the fresh veg n stuff.

The fumes also get to my chest very quick when I ride the m/c.

In the wet season I would rather have a car, also for when going to the pub with more than 1 person. Better for going to the market to get the fresh veg n stuff.

The fumes also get to my chest very quick when I ride the m/c.

People are right in most instances when they say you don't need a car in bkk because of the transport available but move to the boonies then see how useful they are just getting the kids to school and back ontime rather than wait an hour while the local shit truck, sorry meant the local pick-up truck delivers them home most of the kids seem to be hanging out of the back on some feeble extension, and the accidents where we live are horrendously high. give me a car everytime.

What's funny is when people need reassurance on a public forum on whether they should or shouldn't have a car, truck, motorcycle, yacht, or private jet.

Better to have a car (or umbrella, gun, fat bank account, etc.) and not need it than to need a car and not have it.

:o

Edited by Heng

Hi, my name is Sendbaht, and like you PeaceBlondie we are motorcycleholics. One motorcycle is not enough, I worked the 12 steps but the 13 step I jumped back on, I even made a list of all persons I have harmed, nothing worked, even your wise words.

So, now I am back on a motorcycle and most days I am glad I am. See you at the next red light my friend. :o

When I was single I always wanted a car but just relied on taxis and bts.

Now that there is a child on the way, I am going to get a Toyota Fortuner because its huge and it will protect us on the road. Also, i am sure you will quickly get out of my way when you see me coming. And I can listen to music while I drive. And I have air conditioning. And, and I am not saying I plan to do this, but given my TV handle, you probably know what I am getting at, I could receive oral gratification. And I will have leather seats. And I wont smell exhaust. And I wont get sun burned. And other Thais and farang will not think I am loser.

But your motorbike sounds nice! :o

Edited by TonySoprano

Why would anyone want a car in BKK other than a status thing, there is so much transport around that driving a car to me is lunacy.

Whatever you do, stay away from 5 star shopping centers and luxury hotels. You might have a heart attack or fall into a coma of some sort.