Metro Gives Way To Muscle In Downturn

peter991

'Metro gives way to muscle' in downturn

IT'S out with the metrosexual man and in with the hairy blue collar worker thanks to the global financial crisis.

One of the country's leading demographers, Bernard Salt, says that if evolutionary theory is correct, women have started - or are about to start - turning to stronger, bigger men.

"During the downturn the theory is that women are concerned about safety, security, food supply and so their taste in men will shift from the androgynous hairless metrosexual towards the more muscular primal hairy male,'' Salt said.

"It will unfold over the next 12 months or so.''

Analysing competitors in the Cleo Bachelor of the Year competition, Salt, who is also author of the book Man Drought, said he believed the type of men in favour could change next year.

"You might find a very subtle shift in the type of celebrity male or desired male body shape might shift from hairless, sleek, a bit wimpy to the more muscular,'' he said.

On a global stage, he said actors like Leonardo DiCaprio and Zac Efron may become less popular with female fans, while Tom Selleck lookalikes would be back at the top.

And he believed tradesmen would start being very popular.

"There's a bit of brawn, muscular, a bit of honest sweat. I'm sure that's quite appealing to some women and the market for that will expand,'' he said.

"Many tradies are actually making an absolute fortune.

"If you look at a man as an investment after 20 years they've established their own business they can be quite successful - so I think tradies for ladies should not be underestimated.''

In 1986, the first Cleo competition was held, and, like today, the shortlist included actors and musicians such as James Reyne, Gary Sweet and Hugo Weaving.

These days the list is still made up of many actors, dancers, sports stars, but Salt says the men on the list are taller, have bigger feet, and are younger.

"I wonder in fact if this is a sociological shift in women's thinking,'' Salt said.

"Twenty years ago women were eying off a bachelor as husband material, in which case you're sort of looking at something a little older perhaps.

"I think women now entirely think differently, they're sort of more emancipated, more free in their thinking.''

Salt also noted bachelor contestants are more sexualised today.

In the 1986 spread most men appeared fully clothed in suits and ties, while nowadays they're all in their underwear.

"It's the objectification of men, the 'we can do it too','' Salt said.

"It's terrific fun. It shows a greater confidence in women.''

Peter.

P.S. I am not called Khun Ling (monkey) for nothing by friend in Thailand as I am a very hairy guy. Just when I was thinking of waxing (ouch!) I find hairiness will be in next year. I can wait ....

haha funny story. makes sense, if we get 30% unemployment and martial law then for sure, there will be demand for more brawny men

and popshirt, dont be so anal. the article applies just as much or more to gay men.

haha funny story. makes sense, if we get 30% unemployment and martial law then for sure, there will be demand for more brawny men

and popshirt, dont be so anal. the article applies just as much or more to gay men.

I don't know how you can be sure of that, it certainly does not apply to me. The article is all about straight men and straight women.

Metrosexuality is at the very least a pseudo-gay topic. I think we can enjoy the article here for the tongue-in-cheek aspect.

What else than bisexual is metrosexuality by nature? It's been called by many names but if it blurs ones vision whether someone is man or woman either homosexual or not, what else could it be? David Bowie had that thing called androgynous at some point. I equal that with metrosexuality.

BTW, there was one very nice story about Marlene Dietrich when she said that ones in Berlin she saw 'a thing' and couldn't decide about whether 'it' was a male or female. So she needed to ask. The thing answered with very masculine low voice: "I haven't decided yet!"

I am at least enough hairy to survive this sudden whim of fashion...and enough muscular too. Actually, many people have been surprised to know that I am gay. They alwasy say that can't be because "You don't LOOK a bit like that!". :o

... and popshirt, dont be so anal. the article applies just as much or more to gay men.

I disagree. Popshirt is right on the button.

"… One of the country's leading demographers, Bernard Salt, says …"

This forum is called "Gay People in Thailand"

And the OP posts 'the country' ???

You show disrespect for Thailand which is The Country for this forum.

Does anyone in Thailand's gay community really give a d@mn what some American mouthpiece says American women will be going after this year in America?