Moving Soil Around - Building A Dyke - Rates?

Cuban

I am looking for any recent experiance on hourly/daily hire rates for a tractor with blade or bulldozer to move some earth around our land to re-enforce and part rebuild and straighten an earthwork that forms part of our boundary. (I want to build this section up before putting in a new fence posts.). The task only requires earth being pushed up from one area to 'rebuild' the existing dyke. The 'local' debate about where the straight line runs will be handled by Thai-Thai contacts with referance to the Channot - and my measuring the area again with a measuring wheel.

I've spoken to a few local expats to see what they have paid or believe they have paid and am getting wildly different answers, I know price depends on size but for what I estimate would be a day's work it's been suggested that it will cost 2,000 to 7,000 or 10,000 Baht for the day.

From this 2007 thread, I am guessing that 1,000 Baht an hour might be fair? But I would like other's thoughts on this.

The location is not remote, but in KK province on the edge of a town. The earth will be taken from our own land, pushing out a section that is not farmed and allow that scraped out section to happily become a pond or just soak away wetland.

Thanks.

We just had a Cat excavator enlarge and deepen a pond. The rate was 1,700 baht per hour. We got an honest hours work for an hours pay unlike the thief who originally dug the pond.

Since we now will have more water, we also had a tractor build a couple more rice paddies. That cost about 3,500 baht per day and he furnished his own fuel.

• 4 weeks later...

Just had 2 lakes dug, 5 metres deep with sloaping sides and a shelf, over 350 truck loads of soil moved to another part of the land for building on later, 2 weeks with a Hi Mac, and Three 6 wheeler trucks doing the moving, the total cost i paid was 130,000 baht, Deisel was 50,000 Baht alone, quite a good deal, the rate by the Hour is 1000 Baht for a Tractor with Blade up to 2000 Baht for a Big Hi Mac. the guys slept on site started at 7 in the morning and finished at 5 afternoon.

We pay 500 baht hour for the standard ford 6600 tractor (blade & roto tiller) 4000 baht a day for the mini(but mighty) excavator claw & blade. 650 for the caterpillar (biggin) excavator. When purchasing soil the tractor comes free with the soil purchace.

Last time the neighbors & I got the cat for free as they were burying the delivery trucks up to the axles. I guess the Thai drivers never figured it out to stop digging your wheels to the axles & rock the trucks out instead......The mind boggles :)

We are 20 kilo's from Pattaya towards Sattahib.

Around 600 to 1000 baht an hour is pretty fair.

Try to negotiate a daily rate as some on hourly rates will stretch the job where possible, between 5000 & 7000 baht for a days work is reasonable it all depends on your bartering skills barter to low though you'll get a piss poor job from them.

• 1 month later...
Construction equipment range from the very heavy equipment to the portable and mobile lighter equipment, some of them with a precise description of their functions are detailed below.

Engineering equipment with a front bucket/shovel and a small backhoe in the rear combined with a tractor is known as backhoe loader. It is mostly used in small construction sites and in urban engineering such as fixing city roads.

A crawler, which is very powerful and attached with a blade, is called a bulldozer. Even though any heavy engineering vehicle is known as bulldozer, it is actually a tractor with a dozer blade.

Combat engineering vehicles are used for engineering work in the battlefield and for transporting sappers. They are mostly armoured vehicles.

A compact excavator is a wheeled or tracked vehicle with a backfill blade and swing boom. It is also known as mini excavator. The functions and movements of the machines are carried out by transferring hydraulic fluid. This makes a compact hydraulic excavator different from other construction equipment.

~wolfehousebuildingmovers.com~

:)