Bus From Southern Terminal To Mochit Terminal?

mjochim

For Songkran I'm traveling north to Kamphaeng Phet in order to visit the fiance's family (for the second time!). The first time the two of us flew to BKK; this time, she's already up there and I'm leaving solo as soon as I finish work next week. In order to have money for gifts, food, etc. once I arrive (and I don't have to worry about her comfort -- I don't mind "roughing it") I'm doing this trip on the dirt-cheap. Actually, the bus ticket to Bangkok was a bit more expensive than I would have liked at 616 baht but still below my budget of 750. I'm actually taking the day bus (leaves at 7 in the morning); sounds bone-headed/hot, I know but I really wanted to attend the Phuket Bike Week opening festivities the night before I leave.

Anyway, I'll be arriving in Bangkok at the Southern Bus Terminal and wish to catch the last bus to Kamphaeng Phet. That one leaves at 23:30 from Mochit. Normally, I'd take a taxi and have no worries but, again, I'm trying to do this on the dirt cheap. A Thai friend told me that a friend of his took a direct bus from the Southern Bus Terminal to Mochit Terminal and that it cost just 20 baht. I'm sold!

The trouble is, I can't find anybody else who knows anything about this bus. Does it exist? Where do you catch it? Is this another case of a Thai saying something they think I want to hear rather than giving a truthful answer? An inquiring mind would like to know in advance....

Thanks for any and all well-thought-out replies...

Edited by mjochim

For Songkran I'm traveling north to Kamphaeng Phet in order to visit the fiance's family (for the second time!). The first time the two of us flew to BKK; this time, she's already up there and I'm leaving solo as soon as I finish work next week. In order to have money for gifts, food, etc. once I arrive (and I don't have to worry about her comfort -- I don't mind "roughing it") I'm doing this trip on the dirt-cheap. Actually, the bus ticket to Bangkok was a bit more expensive than I would have liked at 616 baht but still below my budget of 750. I'm actually taking the day bus (leaves at 7 in the morning); sounds bone-headed/hot, I know but I really wanted to attend the Phuket Bike Week opening festivities the night before I leave.

Anyway, I'll be arriving in Bangkok at the Southern Bus Terminal and wish to catch the last bus to Kamphaeng Phet. That one leaves at 23:30 from Mochit. Normally, I'd take a taxi and have no worries but, again, I'm trying to do this on the dirt cheap. A Thai friend told me that a friend of his took a direct bus from the Southern Bus Terminal to Mochit Terminal and that it cost just 20 baht. I'm sold!

We've taken a mini bus (van with seats for 9) from Mochit to the southern terminal for 30 baht each...So definitley they will go both ways....no idea if they run late or ?? as we caught ours at 9 am....They are available though....as this was 2 weeks ago....

The trouble is, I can't find anybody else who knows anything about this bus. Does it exist? Where do you catch it? Is this another case of a Thai saying something they think I want to hear rather than giving a truthful answer? An inquiring mind would like to know in advance....

Thanks for any and all well-thought-out replies...

Whoops....

We've taken a mini bus (van with seats for 9) from Mochit to the southern terminal for 30 baht each...So definitley they will go both ways....no idea if they run late or ?? as we caught ours at 9 am....They are available though....as this was 2 weeks ago....

Whoops....

Sounds like what I want -- less confusing than trying to take a series of cross-city buses with limited time...

Do you recall exactly WHERE at the Southern Bus Terminal the mini-van dropped you off at? Seems that would be where I should head to catch it.

Failing that, what's the latest prices on a taxi between the bus terminals? I paid 500 baht once from the old Southern Bus Terminal to Mochit and about 200 baht another trip.

A lot of people on your bus will be Isaan people heading home for Songkran, who also have to go to Mochit. Just talk to them, most likely they will take the minivan.

Edited by keestha