Rhubarb In Thailand?where?

I have never seen rhubarb in Thailand.

They are very easy to multiply and I love them. (pies and tarts and jam or compote)

They are also a very decorative plant with the big leaves.

Rhubarb originates from Asia so I wonder why I can't find them in Thailand.

anybody saw them????

where can I buy them or get some roots???

I hope someone replies to your post with an answer. I would love to be able to make some Finnish Kysillia. (Not sure if I got the spelling right....it's a delicious pudding popular during the 3 hot days of a Finnish summer.)

Edited by T_Dog

I've grown rhubarb in the frozen north but heard that in the tropics it will not live long. Some people in Florida grew it as an annual. You will have to import seeds. Try this: Plant the seeds. After 8 months of growth dig up 1/2 the plants, trim them back and store them in your fridge for 4 months. Then plant them out. Let us all know what happens!

In warm climates, rhubarb will grow all year round, but in colder climates the parts of the plant above the ground disappear completely during winter, and begin to grow again from the root in early spring. It can be forced, that is, encouraged to grow early, by raising the local temperature. This is commonly done by placing an upturned bucket over the shoots as they come up. Because rhubarb is a seasonal plant, obtaining fresh rhubarb out of season is difficult, especially in the UK.

Rhubarb can successfully be planted in containers, so long as the container is large enough to accommodate a season's growth.

RHUBARB GROWN AS AN ANNUAL. Rhubarb is a common perennial plant in temperate regions, and it thrives vegetatively in cool highland regions in the tropics. In the Andes of Ecuador, it is widely appreciated among farmers, and many seek root divisions so they may continuously harvest their own rhubarb at home. People make sauces, pies, and juices of the tart stems. However, rhubarb is not adapted to the tropics, and the plant will not survive the extended heat and humidity of tropical lowlands. If you are now in the tropics and miss cooking with rhubarb, you will be happy to know it can be grown as an annual from seed. We grew the red-stalked variety 'Victoria' ("the deepest red of all seed-grown types") from the Park Seed Co., Cokesbury Rd., Greenwood, SC 29647, USA. In Florida, we plant the seeds in August, transplant in October, and harvest rhubarb through the cool winter season. The plant gradually dies off through the summer.

The Kings Royal Project grows rhubarb at Doi Ang Khang and perhaps other high altitude facilities. It is available to buy through the Royal Project retail outlets.

where can I find these Royal Project retail outlets??

I live in Korat.

Is this the same as the OTOP??

The Kings Royal Project grows rhubarb at Doi Ang Khang and perhaps other high altitude facilities. It is available to buy through the Royal Project retail outlets.

where can I find these Royal Project retail outlets??

I live in Korat.

Is this the same as the OTOP??

Here in Chiang Mai these Royal Project outlets are called the "Doi Kham" stores. Ask a local Thai if there are similar in your area.

http://www.chiangmai-chiangrai.com/doi_kha...vegetables.html

These locations may be out of date but if you contact their offices I'm sure you'll find a nearby location:

http://www.doikham.thailand.com/

Hello importford, a simple google.co.th (english) will bring up 5K + hits on the Royal Project Angkhang like: Not long ago, most of the hilltribe residents of Doi Angkhang earned their living cultivating opium poppies in this vast, mountainous area of Fang district in Chiang Mai.

But since the establishment of the Royal Agricultural Project Foundation in the area 28 years ago by His Majesty the King, things have gradually but definitely changed. Today the beautiful opium poppy fields on Doi Angkhang no longer exist and have become just another travellers' tale.

Virtually the whole area now features arrays of brightly coloured blooms because of the cultivation of marketable flowers, fruits and vegetables such as plum, kiwi, avocado, strawberry and raspberry which once had to be imported.

The hilltribes people have shifted to cultivating cold-climate plantations introduced by the Royal Agricultural Project Foundation. Hmong and Karen members in particular grow chrysanthemums, carnations, roses, asters, gladioli, lilies, orchids and several other varieties of flowers. From this produce they are able to generate a substantial income to themselves and for the country.

http://www.geocities.com/tongdee9/ankkg.htm

http://www.google.co.th/search?hl=en&q...=Royal+Project+

Other hints were "high altitude facilities". The North, I think 'most' of the fresh produce is sold from the project in the CM & CR areas, and I heard in BKK, but I'm not positive.

OTOP was toxin's renamed copy of a program originally from Japan that he copied.

rice555